Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ernie Harwell to develop 10 acres of Parking « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scratch that. He wants to ADD 10 acres of parking. And a museum dedicated to the Knack.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070821/NEWS01/ 70821061

(Message edited by sharmaal on August 21, 2007)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I'm surprised at (and didn't realize till now) are the comments from George Jackson - although it may be a longer shot, if anyone can add PR and build goodwill for the city, it's Ernie Harwell and I'm thinking it's a really bad PR move to dismiss his efforts as "PR Gimmick." He could of just said "we'll see their proposal in October," left it at that, regardless of the merits.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't George Jackson a proponent of demolishing it?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummm, has anybody from this team thought to get the input/approval from the residents of corktown?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DEGC = Demolish Everything, Giveaway Cash

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal, read closer:
quote:

Harwell and his attorney, Gary Spicer, also raised the possibility of adding about 10 acres of nearby surface parking lots to their redevelopment plan for the ballpark.

Harwell wants to redevelop 10 acres of nearby surface parking that is not part of the Tiger Stadium parcel.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 661
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Ernie, don't get me wrong; but if there isn't any capital behind this, it's all smoke. Somebody would have to purchase the site, make improvements, market the thing, and so on. These are easy things to talk about but difficult things to do.

Pmb
Username: Pmb

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa,
Asking input from Corktown residents is not necessary because Spicer/Harwell will keep all of our interests at heart. They know what's best for us, the city, and greater humankind. Trust them. Oh, and an 89 year-old public figure seeking to maintain a legacy could not possibly be used by others for outside interests. [I hope you note the sarcasm.]

Somebody come down to Tiger Stadium and point out the beauty comparable to European structures and architecture that Harwell is referencing. If you can't, let's disassemble it and rebuild it in your neighborhood.

Why is the Free Press working so hard to keep Harwell's (not really his) plan alive?

Professorscott

Post Number: 662
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because it sells papers which keeps advertising rates steady. Only reason the Freep does anything.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an interesting July 2007 article in Harpers magazine about Detroit and the chances anything will be done with the Old tiger Stadium:

http://docs.google.com/View?do cID=a4w3qmhgdwb_252hnsgc4&revi sion=_latest

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 377
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to see the finished product of this proposal. I think and hope this happens. I think you all are lost in time and just want to get this over with quick. Why can't we wait and see the plan before we make judgements? Time will give a better finished project.

Professorscott

Post Number: 663
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no "plan". There's an idea. A "plan" has dollars and dates and says how you're going to get something done, not just that you're going to get it done.

We're good at ideas around here, but we're not very good at plans.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pretty clear that Ernie Harwell will say whatever he thinks it takes to save the stadium. And it's all talk. He might as well throw in ponies and rainbows and everything else. And the idiot chorus on the Freep comments board is buying it.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Pmb, you live here in Corktown?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly do not know the whole plan, but I do personally know one of the parties mentioned in the article that wants to move their offices to a "revamped" Tiger Stadium. They have lots of financial resources and contacts within the community to make things happen.

Whether it will all work out I do not know, but I don't think money will necessarily be an issue. I think now that the possible demolition is real, people who can make a difference are stepping forward.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm rather suprised the freep didn't go all the way have mitch albom writing all the stories proping up "halwell's pitch". i mean hey, when your trotting out some octa-genarian sports caster to promote a develpoment plan, you need all the tired and worn out sports cliches you can muster

(Message edited by gravitymachine on August 22, 2007)

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

------------------------------ ---------------ummm, has anybody from this team thought to get the input/approval from the residents of corktown?
------------------------------ -------------------

as if the residents of corktown haven't made clear what "they" want done with the site.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why all the hostility towards Harwell?

Does anyone know what happened to the Tigers museum that was at Dominos Farms? They had some great memorabilia there, it would be great if they could relocate it at a redeveloped Tiger Stadium, especially if you included Harwell's memorabilia.

We all know that the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame has also been interested in relocating at Tiger Stadium; if they had a permanent home they could make that into a decent attraction I bet.

Professorscott

Post Number: 668
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not hostility towards Harwell, at least not from me. I just don't like calling a "wonderful and nifty idea" a "plan". There is no "plan". If there is, could someone please post a link to it? I'd love to be wrong on this, but I don't think I am.

Just to be clear, any redevelopment plan needs to contain these kinds of details.
1. What will it cost?
2. Who is proposing to pay for the costs?
3. What tenants are lined up?
4. What is the time frame?

I agree with Huggybear; it would be easy for me to say "I think Tiger Stadium should be an Italian restaurant, home for orphaned children, charter school and crayon factory", but that's just talk, it's not backed by anything and it won't happen. I perceive this situation to be the same as that.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[thanx jfried; that was the point i was trying to make.]

i'm pretty sure that everyone in the detroit area love ernie harwell, so it's not that. i think it's the skepticism of ideas presented as a solid economical solution.

come to think of it, however, this is quite the way a lot of other developments in detroit happen: big ideas, huge media hoopla, then dying a slow quiet death. [eg skipper's rule.] so i suppose we shouldn't be too surprised...

Pmb

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt - Yes, I am in Corktown.

While a piece of my frustration lies with the lack of input, another lies in making this a big-event venue. Problem 1: This will mean no development of vacant land that the local community development corp is ready to do because it will be saved by owners for surface parking. Second, baseball fans (I am a mild fan) I would think would not like the plan because all of the larger events will trample and I would think hurt the field itself. The DEGC/Corktown/Mayor's plan keeps the field for the citizens of Detroit, and not for event promotors who have less interest in the growth of our community and people.

Finally, part of the major backlash, Rb, is a long history with Spicer in the neighborhood. It is not a good history, and he has yet to prove that he has any interest in doing something positive for the community. So, while waiting to see what happens sounds nice, even fair, this is how plans get through that are not beneficial to the community. Get some hype from Harwell/Reeves, then quickly bring in a plan that doesn't favor the community. Then because there are faces like Harwell/Reeves little true criticism and critique happen and the locals are left with the result.

(Message edited by pmb on August 22, 2007)

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pmb - why?

Pmb

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, not understanding, why what?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.