Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » New Center Feedback « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 436
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, so I am preparing to get an apartment in the next 7 months. I have pretty much made up my mind on the New Center area, but before I sign on the dotted line, I want some feedback. Does anyone live in this area? What is your opinion of crime in the area? Are there any major problems or issues I should be aware of? What are some hidden treasures around the area? Thanks for all of your feedback.

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in a loft in the New Center area. Moved here in May. As far as crime, most of the problems I have had have been INSIDE my building, go figure. I have a gated parking lot, fortunately, so no problems there so far. I love the neighborhood I am in - some parts are very shabby but my experiences with the people here have been great. Nice sense of community - strangers offering help with a flat tire, etc. I do wish I felt safe walking after dark - I moved from Ann Arbor and am accustomed to long walks in the early evening. I don't do that here - I am a female and tried that when I first moved in and encountered a few tense moments. So I keep my walks to the daylight hours and have no problems there.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't the midtown area be better geared toward lofts/condos and such?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just know that Burger King on Woodward sucks, avoid it any cost.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 459
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are some nice condos just behind fisher theater i think off 3rd street with attatched garages. Midtown is so close though i would have to recommend, just based on selection and more activity.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 438
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have looked at Midtown, and price being lower and for ease to getting up to UDM, are the two main reasons why I have been leaning toward New Center. And note taken on the Burger King, I am not a big fan of the BK Lounge anyway. I have been looking at a few units in Gramont Mannor on Seward.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 596
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd recommend Gramont on Seward, but I'm biased for obvious financial reasons. I liked living there because it was a unique building with a great view and awesome neighbors. But just down the street there were crappy neighbors who loiter too much. I had my car window broken once, but nothing was missing so I assumed it was kids. The street always seems to be bustling with activity, which can be good or bad depending on the time of day or night. I liked being so close to all of the freeways, and though it's further from downtown, it's still not that far. It's close to everything in midtown, and Hamtramck is conveniently close as well. I'd check it out for yourself nad see what kind of feeling you get from the neighborhood. My last tenant loved it but she had to move because of her jo and her kid was outgrowing the space. Feel free to email me at the address i listed in the classifieds if you have any other questions about my place or about the neighborhood.

Panther036
Username: Panther036

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the New Center Area. I have lived here for 8 years. I currently rent a brownstone on 3rd. I like the area a lot. I just wish there were some local coffee houses here and a better night life. However, I can always go downtown, which is a short distance away. AVOID Burger King! That area is quite wired, I usually go to Subway. By the way I do feel safe over here! I feel people in New Center are friendly. Its been a great exprience and I would recommend it. I believe New Center is slowly getter better. I will be excited when the new development is complete in the area. By the way, I love my place!

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NC has a really nice park called New Center Park which I believe is under Renovation www.newcenter.com for more info

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.