Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Moys last call.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Grspointe
Username: Grspointe

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After 40 years serving the Grosse Pointes and St. Clair Shores, Moys chinese restaurant closed its doors on Sunday. Rumor has it that the owners will be opening a carry-out only place sometime in the Fall in a different location.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good cashew chicken

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3770
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After 40 weeks? in business, the dragon at the Lucky Dragon Chinese restaurant (Mexican staffed) at Central & Dix ate its employees. Or something. It was closed on Wed, Thurs, and Fri and...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know there was one out that way...there was one in Livonia when I was a little kid but it closed down about 10 years ago...was this the same chain?

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is still a moy's in farmington... same owner? i wonder if it will suffer the same fate.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last few times I went in there, the guys that usually run the register were very down and out about business. One of the guys was grumbling about how people these days all use credit card which gives the restaurant even less money for a bill. Great food though. All but that weird, large dinner biscuit they gave you with your dinners that could break a windshield. Never understood that thing at all.

Now the entire strip center is under reconstruction. Let's hope they put something nice in there and fill the other vacant spots in that strip.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moys is re-locating to Mack Ave, West side, diagonally across the street from St Joan of Arc, in about 3 months.

They almost went out of business when the city worked on Jefferson and Marter for way too long, and now they are getting shoved out the door for the Kroger and Bank expansion. I dont blame them for feeling down.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to love the Golden Buddha on Harper. Are they still around.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golden Buddha I believe was busted a few years ago or serving puddy tat.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate to burst your bubble but Moys was not shoved out by Krogers or the Bank. They were on a month to month lease by the owners of shopping center just like Kroger and the Bank with the intentions of current rebuild.

Where did you hear they were moving to Mack, they have floated rumors to a ton of moves(including across the street from Fishbones) but in the end the children just don't want to run the business.

Nj_blows
Username: Nj_blows

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everyone from the East Side for 40 years of wonderful patronage. It was a pleasure to have been part of and to serve the community. That said, East Detroit and _sj_ sure know a lot of inside information!

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there we go!

Caldog
Username: Caldog

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in 1965-1966 I bought a 27 foot Owens cabin cruiser from the Moy's. It needed a lot of work. They called it "THE EGG ROLL". The first thing I did was change the name.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5758
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Tarkus... are we gonna go there and re-vist that stupid rumor about Chinese restaurants serving up cat again? How ignorant can we get!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.