Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » One Day Visit to Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll preface by saying this thread is completely played out, so if you don't want to answer I understand. A friend of a friend of mine is going to be passing through Detroit on his way to Canada for one day only. My friend asked me to make up a little itinerary for him. My friend continually talks up Detroit and the metro area to this visitor and is one of the only reasons he is even stopping for a day. This visitor will have a car. I have some suggestions of my own, but this forum is the best place for ideas.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Riverwalk, Lafayette Coney Island for 2 on 1 heavy onions, tour the Bob-Lo boat St. Claire, drive around Belle Isle, early evening go to Greektown for atmosphere, drinks, dinner at Fishbones. I know I'm forgetting a lot but these came to mind for a short stay and keeping to the DT area.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's the visitor from?

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I honestly am not sure where this visitor is from, but I think maybe san diego.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9am breakfast at Detroit Breakfast Company
10:30 am walk around downtown and riverwalk
12:30 - 1:00 pm lunch at Andiamo OR Seldom Blues
1:00 - 4:00 pm tour Edsel and Eleanor Ford Home in GP
4:00 - 6:00 pm driving tour back through city (Belle Isle, Indian Village, Riverfront)
6:00 - 8:00 pm dinner in Greektown (Pegasus or something)
8:00 - 10:30 pm bars along Park Avenue, Towne Pump, etc.

If he/she can, have them stay at the Omni...if they do they can transfer lunch to Fenders on the terrace after their walk of the riverfront.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9896
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's about a three hundred dollar day.

Same start time, hang at the bar at Zeff's Grille in Eastern Market. Heck, you could start a few hours earlier if they're up to it...Zeff's will be open. So will a few of the specialty stores where they could buy some cool stuff to give away when they get to their next destination...goodwill from Detroit!

After a few quick turns to get to Grand Boulevard, drive from Eastern Market to lap Belle Isle a time or two...then a run up and down the streets of Indian Village maybe after picking up a cup o' joe at Starbucks.

Lunch at Eph's Downtown, take out to eat in Campus Martius. Park in the two-hour street spots across from the Hard Rock Cafe, there are usually one or two open on Library Street...the one that goes beneath the overpass to Compuware's parking structure.

Walk around downtown and riverwalk.

On the way back to the car, stop into Happy Cream and split one of their large banana splits. Fall in love with the couple that owns the store. Enjoy the sugar shock.

Drive up Woodward Avenue through the Fox area, see the new stadia, turn left and stop in each of the four bars on Park Avenue behind the Fox.

Town Pump, Centaur, Park Bar, then Cliff Bell's.

You'll be too sauced now to drive anywhere, so hopefully someone sober will join the party.

Get them to drive you up to the Boston/Edison district, then come back down Woodward in rush hour, around the bend at Campus Martius...and get an early dinner at Slow's.

Then drink there for the rest of night...it will be an interesting glimpse into a portion of vibrant Detroit.

Let us know, some of the usual characters might show up.

Estimated budget ~$150, assuming some of us buy you drinks at the end.

Oh yeah, have them stay at the Inn on Wilder, or the Inn on Ferry...unless they need to see the river from behind tinted glass!! It's beautiful and all, but the Inn on Wilder gets you way comfortable and well-fed in the morning for about what the Holiday Inn charges!

PLUS, they wouldn't risk being lost forever wandering around inside the concrete and glass anthill.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9897
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the way TO Belle Isle from Eastern Market, detour a few blocks to see what Tyree has been up to lately.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"On the way TO Belle Isle from Eastern Market, detour a few blocks to see..." Indian village!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.