Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Play jjaba trivia, win prize « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5518
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba trivia

Tell us when this photo was taken on the post card and any other details to support the year.

Extra points for ship identification, location of the vantage point, or other proof of date.

jjaba will announce the winner. jjaba may consult with his legal counsel, the Rock, but jjaba is the sole judge of this contest.

All awards are promptly mailed to the winner.

jjaba on the Westside.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1932 cuz I said so. Good enough?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4829
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1932, and that shouldnt be off by more than a few years.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1931, Guardian, Dime, and First National all built.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1933: I see a young Jjaba on the dock, drinking from a growler of beer.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1930. Penobscot is there. Guardian is there. Interesting assortment a ships: some kind of schooner, a tug, an ore freighter, and a RR ferry. All of which just adds up to a WAG.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All were buildings I can find are built pre 1930 So I will guess 1931. Dime, penobscot, Guardian book cad, not sure might have the water board there as well.

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on August 20, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aye, Matey! Arrrrrgh!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that's a hook!

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well all the good dates are taken, so i'm going to go for location. Let's say the docks off of Riverside & Oak or Riverside & Crawford in Windsor of course.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1931. Windsor. The "Unknown".

What did I win? A circumcision from jjaba? Can you cut it so it goes a little more to the right? The gentiles miscut me the first time!

;^D

James

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rsa would have to say the photo was taken in 1929, at the windsor docks, around the foot of crawford and oak streets.

clues: you can still see the top of the old post office building to the right of the book cadillac. this vantage would force you more south of downtown windsor and the new federal courthouse and post office wasn't built until 1932-1934. it's hard to tell, but the ventilation building for the windsor detroit tunnel is absent. it would stick slight above the other buildings directly beneath the tower of the old wayne county courthouse. it was completed in 1930. it also appears that the warning beacon atop the penobscot's radio tower is absent. since it has always been apart of that structure, that leads me to believe it was shortly after completion, in 1929.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1921
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That tug looks like the old Ford Motor Company tug, BUTTERCUP although it could be either of her her sister-tugs, BARRALLTON or BALLCAMP.
jjaba--If you had taken that shot from Windsor, just a few seconds earlier, a better identification would be possible. I recognize that the shutter on your old Argus C-3 tripped rather slowly back then.
Anyway, you have my address. I look forward to my 6 Pak of Mirror Pond Ale.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$1!

I think you're all over.

(This is the Price is Right, isn't it?)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5519
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several good and eduacated answers. Keep the discussion going for awhile longer and we'll declare a winner.

jjaba needs real convincing.

AIW has consulted with jjaba and says he's got the real answer. Although he's on the jjaba legal and trivia committee, his opinions will weigh heavily. He cannot be a winner.

Jimaz is disqualified for copywright infringement and doctoring. However, for 3,000 posts, he wins a centurian prize. Please post your email address.
Other than #2992, he gives us quality posts.

Stay tuned.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor, and Mohel in training. (jjaba has an angle cut too. Now you know.)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5520
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock could be a winner if The Rock would concetrate on the questions. Assailing jjaba's photographic skills will prove counterproductive. Thanks Rock for the good guesses on the ships in view. The Rock is hired as Counsel, to handle disputes when winners are declared. jjaba pays usual and customary fees for this service.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

The_rock

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could give you the name of that D and C passenger boat, and a pretty good stab at the "ore carrier", but my feelings are hurt.
By the way, that is really a barge rather than a self-propelled ore carrier. The Ford tug is actually pulling it. LAKE FREELAND and LAKE SAPOR come to mind. Ford Motor Co.used to operate several of these tug/barge combinations.
Woe to the poor vessel that did not realize a tug had a barge behind it connected by a steel line, and decided to go between the two of them.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2999
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jimaz is disqualified for copywright infringement and doctoring. However, for 3,000 posts, he wins a centurian prize. Please post your email address. Other than #2992, he gives us quality posts.

I deserved that. :-)

Thank you but I already have a treasured Jjaba prize so I think I'll decline your gracious offer this time around. Better to spread it around, eh?

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think i see the new quicken loans headquarters u/c in there somewhere.

righty tighty lefty loosy?

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, and the boat is the SS Columbia.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taken from under the newly built Ambassador Bridge.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5523
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any more guesses before jjaba declares a winner?

jjaba.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My computer blew up again. Using my laptop backup. If I won I hope the prize is a new computer......:-)

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I withdraw my 1931 answer and replace it with a 1929 + I will add the other half of your ship (which you may have to past into your browser).

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?sid=32d2e494 fdf8afb90d12139a95e4877f;med=1;q1=detroit%20from%20win dsor;rgn1=vmc_ti;c=vmc;evl=ful l-image;quality=1;view=entry;s ubview=detail;lasttype=boolean ;cc=vmc;entryid=x-78948-und-2; viewid=78948_2;start=1;resnum= 5

Jjaba

Post Number: 5524
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, jjaba trivia prizes are quality, but new computers are not one of them.

jjaba recommends that you rub the dice a little harder in Las Vegas.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5525
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to Andrew in Windsor, a quality source on things like this, the photo was taken from the Wooden Govt. dock, foot of Caron Ave. in Windsor.

He says the ship in question is The Vedas, owned by Harry Low, the infamous bootlegger. The mast has a history on other ships and as decorative art in Windsor Parks.

Andrew places the photo at 1930-33.

RSA is declared winner. He laid out many claims to the prize. RSA, kindly post your email for your prize and jjaba will contact you.

Thanks for playing jjaba trivia.

jjaba on the Westside waiting for the Canadian hooch.

Rsa

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

woo-hoo! thanx jjaba. rsa knew it had to be at least pre 1932 because you can see the tower of the old post office in the picture (demo was started on that in very early '32). my email is rockstarchitect@aol.com

Jjaba

Post Number: 5527
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Rsa. jjaba will contact you.
How about Rockstar and Mrs. Rockstar posing at the Govt Dock in Windsor with today's Detroit in the background? AIW is a master photographer.

Please post the shot for this thread. Seals the deal. Proves the point of the post card and makes Rsa our new postcard. Rsa gets recycled like his old Formica turned into faux granite counter tops.

jjaba, at the Tunnel air tower.

Kfowler
Username: Kfowler

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the photo would be nice but that would require Mr. Rockstar to actually go to Windor... which Mrs. Rockstar gave up asking him to do many years ago. :-)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5528
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rockstar is always ready with passport in vest pocket. Rsa, house to Canada via Tunnel, 10 minutes. Then, 5 minute drive to AIWs. Then, 5 minutes to photo shoot. Rsa back home within the hr. Mrs. Rockstar can handle the trip.
The Rockstars never disappoint jjaba.

Kfowler, welcome to Forum.
jjaba, Old timey Westsider.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5529
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, contact jjaba.

apanitch@comcast.net

Ray1936

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats to Rsa! And good eyeballs by all who participated. Thanks for the fun, Jjaba.

You can forget the computer. I just ordered a new one from Dell, should be here in a week. This is the third time this year my old Compaq blew up, and I'm going to donate it to landfill. Glad I have a laptop for a backup.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5531
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba seconds that emotion. His is busted out too.

Ray1936 might want to try the Las Vegas Public Library in a pinch. jjaba uses the library, like right now, sitting between a Chasid with latke in beard and a Palestinian who last washed his turban in Hevron, 1993. Oy, America, we love you. A Somali woman just smiled at jjaba under her veil.

jjaba on the Westside delivering the Detroit Times later today.

Rsa

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seeing aiw would be nice. maybe he can show us the real/fun windsor that has eluded me all these years. however a photo of the rsa's would reveal our clark kent alter ego's, which might be detrimental to the safety of the forum :-)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5533
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take the photo before the darkness at your titty bar named "Jason's" across from the photo shoot thank you.

Rsa contact jjaba.
apanitch@comcast.net

Rsa

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

email sent.

The_rock

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, a review of these posts shows no evidence of reversible error. Looks like you handled the situation well. rsa is the winner alright.
AIW knows his Canadian booze boats. Maybe he had relatives who sailed aboard the Vedas.
Big difference between the Vedas and our J. T Wing is the lack of a really pronounced bowsprit on the Vedas.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ray1936 might want to try the Las Vegas Public Library in a pinch"

Ray1936 wanders over to the Mormon Family History Library in Vegas in pinches. Get to do some genealogy research at the same time with some very nice people.

Mitt Romney? Yeah, I'm a supporter.
Mormons? Yeah, I'm a supporter. Good folks.
Religion? Not me. I'm strictly neutral.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6349
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Vedas began life in WWI as the HMCS Shearwater of the Canadian Navy. After retirement, she was purchased and converted to cargo use, and ahem, transport of liquid goods during the failed experiment.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5534
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Vedas must have carried those boxes marked FOB Shanghai, China when crossing the Detroit River.
China is an old trading partner, eh.

Ray1936 shows creativity in finding others' computers. jjaba will duck into his closest Mormon Stake House to use the pc. Las Vegas has been Mormon forever, eh. A lot of people don't know that history.

Thanks for the good counsel, Rock. Your koshering of jjaba trivia contests keeps jjaba going.

Rsa was a good choice although there were others with good answers too.

Thanks AIW for his help also. A photo from that govt. dock on this thread would go a long ways.
How about it, AIW? It would be fun for Rsa, for sure.

jjaba, drinking a tall punch from Harry Low's stash.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.