Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Where can I buy mace/pepperspray? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 735
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got robbed this morning and my bag with everything in it was snatched - except money cause I don't carry any cash. Some low-life punk piece of shit followed me into the parking lot and demanded my purse and car. Acted like he had a gun. Since I couldn't be sure though, I didn't really dare fighting back. He ripped the bag from me and then run off on foot. Didn't get my car. Kid was maybe 17, 18, skinny and short. Should have been easy to shove him out of my way, but like I said, the gun thing scared me. But now I want to carry mace or pepperspray on me at all times, no piece of shit will ever lay hands on me again. I went to a couple of drug stores (after I spent the morning cancelling cards and phones), but couldn't find any. I don't even know where they sell this stuff. Is it legal to buy? I also called 911 and the police showed up at my place 10 minutes later. Not too bad of a response time.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibralter Trade Center in Mt. Clemens has pepper spray. Up I-94, about half an hour from Detroit. I imagine gun stores and army supply stores also carry it. Probably not any local run-of-the-mill stores.
Sorry about your incident. I hate shitbags like that and would love to give them a face full of pepper spray, glass, whatever...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd start off at an army/navy supply store.

I have no idea how legal or illegal it is.

I know there have been times I wish I had some. Dammed crackheads are getting worse around me.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.selfdefenseweapons. com/michigan-pepper-spray.htm

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They sell pepperspray (I believe mace is illegal) at most sporting goods stores and hardware stores. I just recently saw some at Dunham's.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mace is illegal in Michigan but not everywhere.

http://www.defendingwomen.com/ ?gclid=CN7ox_johI4CFRcbWAodQzP e3g

Try a site such as he one above.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

harrys army surplus on telegraph in dearborn has pepper spray

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also at Meijer in the sporting goods department.
It's the sport of kings.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9709
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that Ghetto_butterfly. Even with pepper spray if a person does have a gun I am sure they will be just as quick to shoot it as you would to spray the mace; You of course would/could end up on the losing side of that exchange.
Until parents and govt's tackle the issue of the high drop-out rate in Detroit, I believe this type of shit is only going to escalate.
Punk piece of shit is right.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1961
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear about that GB. I can imagine the anger you must be feeling. Don't get yourself hurt, though. You came out of this unharmed, if you reached for some spray, who knows what may have happened.

Time to bring back the stocks. A few days in campus martius with his neighbors and fellow Detroiters throwing tomatos at his head might make him think twice about how he's choosing to contribute to society.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4826
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit, I am sorry to hear this. You are ok though so that is good. Little fucker! Did the cops come?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the difference between mace and pepper spray?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1962
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mace is an irritant similiar to tear gas.

Peppear Spray is an inflammatory agent.

Pepper Spray will hurt those so drugged up they can't feel pain.

Pepper Spray will cause inflammation of the capillaries causing temporary blindness, nausea, cut off all but life support breathing and create a very strong burning or stinging ensation.

Mace will not. Mace is a brand name, also.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A female with a purse is a sitting duck to these ruthless thieves. You're lucky he was just a punk and wasn't carrying a gun. Instead of looking for mace, I'd be looking for another place to live. You aren't going to win that fight. Keep in mind if you mace someone with a gun, they're more than likely going to start shooting.

This happened because the perpetrator knows two things. You don't have a gun and if he gets caught, nothing will happen to him. It's a very low risk crime from his standpoint.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can get it at army surplus stores. But be careful if you are attacked and use this on someone they can actually sue you because it is illegal to use on another person.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 287
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope this doesn't sound sexist, but I personally think any woman traveling by themselves anywhere should carry mace or pepper spray - not just Detroit.

Jerks and losers are everywhere, and women alone are, unfortunately, a target everywhere from cities to college campuses. Many of my female friends who live anywhere carry it - and I don't know one who lives in NYC or Chicago that does not.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - Being robbed is a horrible experience, but look at the bright side.....you were not physically injured.

You can get pepper spray at Metropolitan Uniform shop on Macomb Street off Gratiot downtown. http://metropolitanuniform.com /component/page,shop.browse/ca tegory_id,33/option,com_virtue mart/Itemid,26/vmcchk,1/

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB...where did this happen?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2986
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be interesting to booby trap a decoy purse with a dye pack and pepper spray. They'd probably get away without harming the victim -- but not far.

I think pepper spray is made with Capsicum.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB -- I am so glad to hear you are OK. This shitbag will get what he deserves, either through the legal system or through karma.

Let me suggest something else to consider -- self defense classes.

A person I can strongly endorse for this sort of stuff is Jaye Spiro, who owns Center for the Physical Arts, or something like that -- on Nine Mile just west of Woodward in Ferndale.

My wife trained at her dojo for almost 10 years and is now a third-degree brown belt.

Jaye has been teaching martial arts -- and self-defense classes for women -- since she started in the Corridor about 30 years ago. Though she doeswn't much like to talk about her professional achievements, she's in just about every hall of fame the sport has.

Her students run from toddlers to seniors. The atmosphere is open and diverse. And she' willing to work out barter arrangements with folks who can't afford her rates, if she can. And the rates are paid month-to-month -- she doesn't make you sign a contract.

She's never, to my knowledge, turned away a self-defense student for inability to pay. (Karate might be another story.

http://www.mejishi.250x.com/in dex2.html

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 736
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the advice and comments. Yes, the most important thing is that I wasn't hurt. Everything else is replaceable, even if it is a big pain in the butt to do so. But where there are lowlives trying to hurt you, there are also always good people trying to help you. The building manager let me borrow his cell for as long as I need it to make the important phone calls and will get me a parking spot in the underground garage of the building next door. A friend will help me out with cash until I get my replacement debit card. Two kids in my building agreed to search the neighborhood in case the asshole dumped my bag somewhere (replacing my passport and green card alone will cost me about $500 - yeah, I know, I shouldn't have had those items with me to begin with). The police showed up in less than 10 minutes after I called 911. All of this makes up for it a little bit. The worst thing about this incident was feeling scared and violated. Moving is not an option. I've lived here for almost 6 years, and I will not run or hide just because some punks think I'm an easier target because I'm a woman. Next time I will be better prepared, although hopefully there will never be a next time. But living in this neighborhood incident-free for so long, I felt comfortable and didn't pay enough attention to what was going on around me. From now on I will never let my guard down. By the way, it happened on E. Jefferson and Hibbard, that's across the street from the Jeffersonian. For those living in that area, please be on the lookout and be careful (everybody else too). The kid hasn't been caught so it might happen again considering how relatively easy it was. Maybe he braggs about it too and gives other punks some ideas.

So if it is illegal to use pepper spray on someone, what's the point of getting it for protection? And does that mean that I can use a deadly gun to defend myself but not something harmless to the human life but potentially just as effective?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 809
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something stupid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fmaCJvH0vzg

Cherry
Username: Cherry

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB: I've been carrying Fox Labs 5.3 million OC spray from Metropolitan Uniform since being pinched on the street last year. It is legal. The Hamtramck police advised me that I am justified in using it on anyone who touches me without my permission (assault) and anyone who demands money with the threat of violence (robbery). I had to use it once, and I can't tell you how glad I was to have it.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2988
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe pepper spray is legal in Michigan if it's under 2% concentration. There have been deaths from pepper spray. Maybe that's the reason for the limit.

Col_kat
Username: Col_kat

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my pepper spray from Walmart near where they sell the hunting equipment.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2989
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what the Michigan State Police have to say about the legalities.

Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 737
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I believe pepper spray is legal in Michigan if it's under 2% concentration. There have been deaths from pepper spray. Maybe that's the reason for the limit.

There have been deaths from guns, so why aren't they limited or better yet, outlawed?

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 575
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I checked robbery was illegal as well. The fact that it's illegal obviously didn't stop the lowlife from stealing your purse this morning.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 896
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many people I know in Akaska carry pepper spray as a bear defense although I sure wouldn'ty feel safe doing it. As I recall, the brand of choice is Fox.

Check it out thoroughly on Google. There are various quality and strengths of the stuff and some are relatively useless.

Check out:

http://www.defensedevices.com/ abpepspray.html

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5749
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pepper spray discussion aside, I'm just thankful that you weren't hurt in the midst of it all, Ghetto_butterfly. I'd like to think that little turd that ripped you off will get his due someday.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9892
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one looks pretty cool.

You can get practise cartridges for it...not a bad idea.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lipstick Pepper Spray from TBO-TECH Self Defense Products.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2363
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aco Hardware has Mace and pepper spray.

Vic_doucette

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But what happens if you want to use pepper spray and the wind is blowing toward you? And what if the shitbag manages to get the stuff away from you and then uses it against you?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9893
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are always risks, Vic.

Life if filled with them.

I'd rather risk having my weapon backfire on me than have none at all.

Vic_doucette

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or maybe learn how to use effective, weaponless techniques as I suggested above?

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can always apply for a CCW and become a pistol packin mamma...

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very sorry this happened to you Butterfly . . . .I will co-sign with the member who mentioned Harry's Army Surplus

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would recommend getting a carry permit. Buy a Glock 28 a .38 cal. or Glock 26 a 9mm.
Nothing says back off and get the f out of here better than a gun pointed at your face.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet pulling or reaching for a gun in that situation would have doubled or triped her chances of being killed or seriously injured. My guess is that cooperation was her safest bet.

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But what happens if you want to use pepper spray and the wind is blowing toward you? And what if the shitbag manages to get the stuff away from you and then uses it against you?"

1. Draw your weapon
2. Breath normally
3. Squeeze (don’t pull) the trigger
4. Aim for center mass and fire, fire repeatedly.

Cherry
Username: Cherry

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to be very careful when buying sprays off the internet. That ASP Defender is 10% OC, which is illegal in Michigan. It is also only 2 million SHU, which is less than half the heat of FOX 5.3. (FOX labs is based in Detroit if you like to buy Detroit products.)

I was also worried about the wind blowing it back at me, so I bought the stream version rather than fog.

Pepper spray has many advantages. With a gun, I might have killed the man that grabbed my hand, or I might not have hit him at all. The ultra-violet dye makes a perp easy to identify. I can carry the spray in my hand or on my belt, even during the summer, without it being obvious. I can mount it on my bicycle handlebars for use on wild dogs. The main reason I don't carry a gun is that I don't have the stomach for killing a man, or even a dog, and I don't want to hesitate when the time come to pull the trigger.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "I bet pulling or reaching for a gun in that situation would have doubled or triped her chances of being killed or seriously injured."

That would be a sure fire way to find out if he indeed had one. If he returns fire, he has one. If he wets himself, probably not.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buying and packing pepper spray and the fact it is considered less than lethal does not give anyone the right to spray someone every time they feel threatened. If you use that on someone, just as pulling a handgun in the same situation, better make sure you have reasonable cause to do so. In the very least, you'll be facing assault charges. If that person chokes to death, it will be something else.

Raptor56

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the difference between reaching and pulling for a pistol and reaching and pulling for a bottle of pepper spray? A-hole mugger doesn't know which you have. If he has a gun and feels threatened by you reaching into your coat, he's going to shoot. Better to have a lead slinger to return fire than some piddly pepper spray which won't even affect the guy if he's all hopped up on crack or Meth. Just my humble opinion...

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone tried those lipstick sprays? Pretty cool looking. I'm thinking about getting those for me and all my girlfriends who've been robbed/carjacked recently. Which is a lot, sad to say.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get a CCW permit, and practice. You may not get off so light next time.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would recommend getting a carry permit. Buy a Glock 28 a .38 cal. or Glock 26 a 9mm.
Nothing says back off and get the f out of here better than a gun pointed at your face.

Sorry, but guns are useless against an armed attack already in progress. You will be shot before you ever feel the steel.

Raptor56

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sorry, but guns are useless against an armed attack already in progress. You will be shot before you ever feel the steel."

The assailant will think you're reaching for a gun, and you'll be shot while reaching for your pepper spray. At least with a gun you can peel off a couple rounds before you bleed to death. Somehow spraying pepper spray on the guy who just shot me doesn't seem like it does as much justice as popping a cap in his ass.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.