Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Anybody remember the Bull Market Bar/Restaurant? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Age is showing its effects on me. A friend brought up the Bull Market bar recently, but neither of us could remember where it was located even though we both had been there on numerous occasions. Can anybody help?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 891
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think on W. Lafayette. Owner's name was Bill Anton, I think.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1919
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you nailed it Southwest. I ate their a few times during the relatively short stay it had downtown. They named their sandwiches after various stock jargon.
I believe that Bill Anton also catered a big clam-bake when the Republican Convention was in Detroit. And if memory serves me right, Anton might have opened Jim's Garage many moons ago---also a favorite.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But I think the restaurant entrance was off Shelby, rather than up the street on Lafayette. Now the memory may not be so good.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Republican Convention in 1964? That time frame?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 892
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Republican National Convention (which nominated Ronald Reagan) was here in July 1980.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, that one! Well, hmmm. I worked downtown then and don't remember the Bull Market. I think I remember it in the late 60s-early 70s though, but I never went there. I do miss Jim's Garage!

Mommydearest
Username: Mommydearest

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worked downtown in the 70's and I think it became The Money Tree managed by Yvonne Gill.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 454
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Southwest + The Rock (1st message) in recalling in on West Lafayette.

The Money Tree was a few blocks away on West Fort, just east of Comerica's original HQ and north of the Pontchartrain Wine Cellar.

Four landmarks of yesteryear . . .

Downtownguy

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know for a fact that The Money Tree was in the 333 W. Fort Building as that is where I worked at the time. Lafayette sounds right -- maybe somewhere around Olde's offices? Could it have been where the garage is now across the street from the Lafayette Building?

Thanks to The_Rock and Southwestmap, I remember meeting Mr. Anton the owner. I googled him and found an article reminding me he also took over as manager of the Book Cadillac in 1982 for one year. Plans were to keep 400 room and turn the rest into offices. Ironic.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2438
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I concur with Southwestmap...The Bull Market was on Lafayette in the building behind the Olde Building on the corner of Griswold and Lafayette. The building was replaced with a parking garage.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 459
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so now that we've nailed the location, who can recall what we ate there?

All I remember is burgers, steaks and a green logo with a dollar sign and/or Wall Street bull theme . . . plus maybe silverware wrapped in moneyband-style paper strips? Or am I hallucinating again?

I'm feelin' that age thing too, DowntownGuy.

Downtownguy

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember those moneyband silverware wrappers, Reality. I also remember the sandwiches named for stock jargon. I don't know why I can't picture its location. They must have made some pretty strong cocktails.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anton was next to and below Grand Trunk's old headquarters. Anton went on to run a place called "Anton's" on Mack in Grosse Pointe Woods. It is now Andiamo's Trattoria.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 895
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Anton - now there's a name from the past. I knew Bill Anton years ago and had several dealings with him.

He was a skilled promoter, a real hustler (in the more or less positive sense of the word.)

His dad was a union organizer. Bill had a couple of restaurants and interests in several other businesses. His big problem was he lived way beyond his means and there were always creditors hovering around.

He got into the clothing business (Horizon Sportswear) in Hillsdale, manufacturing jackets, windbreakers etc, which he promoted to advertisers (say, Chevy) as promotional giveaways. I lost track of him after that (say 1973 - '74)

He was a very hard working guy. I lost track of him years ago. I hope he scored big time along the way somewhere. He probably did.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ate at the Bull Market several times...I worked in the Lafayette Building at the time. The entrance was on Lafayette..it was right next to a "greasy spoon" type diner that made great breakfast. In fact, my boss held my going away party at the Bull Market! It was mostly sandwiches..all with stock market type names. Good food as I recall!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.