Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Love or Hate Belle Isle race track? « Previous Next »
Archive through August 20, 2007Detroitnerd30 08-20-07  6:02 pm
Archive through August 21, 2007Susanarosa30 08-21-07  4:50 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So please be sure to correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't a track created for the GP back in '92? Or, were the existing public roads used for racing?

Didn't think you had your fill of smug self-satisfaction for the day.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

meh...ok. At least it would keep the dobermans out.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RE: Peachlaser's
"There might be some examples for Detroit in the German reunification story. It seems both sides had to give. The former Easterners couldn't expect to have all the riches that their cousins had accumulated in free Germany... "

Are you comparing 8 Mile to the Berlin wall? with no freedom to choose?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poverty, by its nature, means having no choice.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in 8th Grade in 1992.

But I believe that the only part of the track they had to create was the pit lane. The rest was on existing roads.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there last weekend, coming along nicely. Needs to be smoothed out more. It was fun driving on the track, I pretended I was racing my car,
PS:
Only losers and brainwashed dummies who believe what some people, media talking heads, and politicians tell them. That they can't take action to change their situation in life, or have no choice.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9899
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that was when they put that extension on the southwest corner, to handle the crash barrier piles o' tire.

I drove around the track the other day in my father's Saturn Vue and I was praying for one more level of road surface to even things out a wee bit.

I don't want to sound like the old F1 folk, but it is pretty harsh even for a civilian vehicle.

It was pretty cool to see the place decked out for the race. Is somebody sampling this for a racing game? Surely the teams do it for driver prep, don't they?! They can't just watch Driven.

Didn't mean to sound like a dig, Susanarosa, yanno I'm just jealous of the passion...everyone's got to have a few things that make 'em burn a wee bit.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Detroitrulez. Gannon, thanks for the clarification. So technically, they did pave a bit to extend the track, paved the paddock, but primarily it's a street course. Damn hard to find info on the formation of the original Isle track. I still think it's evil, but I hope you racing fans enjoy.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5151
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, I know I'm one of the folks who's not that upset over the 10 acres of paved paddock... but....

2 weeks ago I took a busload of German tourists on a tour of Detroit. And we took a lap around the island.

I must say that I didn't care for how intrusive the Grand Prix stuff was to the island. I mean there were already grand stands and barriers all over the island in early August. It really detracted from the beauty and tranquility of the place.

So much so, that when I took another busload of German tourists on a tour of Detroit today, I decided at the last minute to completely skip Belle Isle. The Germans 2 weeks ago weren't that impressed with the look of the island, what with all those concrete barriers and viewing stands blemishing the islands beauty.

If this means that every August the Grand Prix will literally dominate the island for an entire "prime usage" month, then it really becomes a big negative.

Now Detroitrulez, before you give me another one of your snarky (and sometimes funny) replies, I just want you to know I'm still traumatized by your "bottomless Lederhosen"... :-(

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>2 weeks ago I took a busload of German tourists on a tour of Detroit. And we took a lap around the island.

You should of told them that this track is going to be used to highlight how far ahead the German and Japanese automotive technology is ahead of the American technology. That probably would of gotten more interest.

Then take them of a tour of the areas of blight in downtown and let them see that because our automotive technology has become so lame that we can not provide jobs to rebuild our cities or compete in the world. You probably would of received applause from your tour if this amount of honesty was shown to them.

The Germans, Japanese and even the Italians, British, French already know this. It seems most Americans haven't figured this out yet. The only bright spot in this global awareness is Corvette. Roger Penske also recognizes this but he is using German Porsche technology to make his statement.

GM tried competing against the world's best a few years ago and got close with its Cadillac prototype before pulling the plug just as the group was finding some success. This was the act that caused the groan heard around the world and people are still shaking their heads, especially those of us wanting to see America be able to compete.

Most of you have no idea how important this race is on the world's stage. But, Detroit as a whole hasn't figured this out over the past three decades so why should I think anyone is going to figure it out now?

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Grand Prix is a great thing for Detroit. They only paved over some unusable swamp land.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone noticed a increased amount of pedestrians or traffic downtown leading up to the race

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on the Isle today to set up the chalet we rented for the race. It was a chaotic madhouse. I have VIP Parking by the Ren Cen with shuttle on Sunday and I estimate an hour to get parked and to my seat.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

peachlaser, you are aware that the corvette is leading the GT1 class by a wide margin (in fact they've won the class in every race this year) and has been about as succesful in GT1 over the last few years as Audi has in LMP1?

i do agree about what you say about our automotive technology not being up to par with the competition, though i tend to see it a willingness to use the technology we do in fact have. complacency and entitlement are a bitch

(Message edited by gravitymachine on August 30, 2007)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DGP is one more event that should make for a great weekend for Michiganians. Michigan football season opener, Michigan State Fair, Detroit International Jazz Festival, and more!

I'm jealous

Peachlaser

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Gravity. Yes, I am well aware of Corvette's phenomenal success over the past five years. As I have said, they are the bright spot. Not to take away from their outstanding success but, they are in the 3rd level in classes. There is P1, P2, GT1 and GT2.

The last American manufacturer to win and dominate at Le Mans was Ford with it's Ford GT of the late 1960's. There is a rumor that Corvette will appear as a mid-engined P1 in several years and go for the overall win at Le Mans. I've already seen renderings of the car and it looks good.

I think one benefit to this type of racing is the advances in electronics that are occurring that make cars more efficient, easier to diagnose and easier to design and build. Some of these teams like Audi, Corvette and Penske have trailers full of electronics monitoring these cars real-time while they are on track. If you are at the track, notice the number of atteneas that are on the Audis and other prototypes. This is the only series in the world where you will see this many international manufacturers involved.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Michael Andretti's comment in USA Today...

"It's quite a different type of racing," says AGR co-owner Michael Andretti, whose team won the LMP2 class at the 12 Hours of Sebring in its debut race in March. "The series is more of an R&D (research and development) show for manufacturers."

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate it. Not the right venue for a race.
I'm sure NY wouldn't have a race in Central Park, or Chicago in Lincoln Park.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ NYC and Chicago are not the Motor City either.

Of course, maybe Detroit will no longer be the Motor City either in a short time if the same patterns continue. Then...Detroit "The Ghost City" may be more appropriate. Or, how about... 'Notown'?

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Detroit was known now as "The D", so what's in a name? We were once also called the Paris of the Midwest. Don't hear that one anymore either. When I tell people I'm from Detroit, they look at me with pity and the topic of crime often surfaces; no one ever smiles in recognition and says, sadly, "Motown" or "Motor City" anymore.

Truth is it's time to evolve and find a new identity to latch onto; one more lasting than something tied to the fickle world of business and industry.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I look at this in a larger perspective. Detroit led our country for many years with its innovativeness and manufacturing might. When Detroit did not adapt in the early 1970's, we began to lose our lead in manufacturing and many other industries followed Detroit's/Automotive Industry demise. We have seen electronics go to Japan, Korea and China and our software development/processing centers move to India.

'Detroit' and the Buy American campaign have wanted us to continue buying U.S. made automobiles even when they lagged behind in efficiency, quality and design. This was a plea to America to support Detroit even though Detroit could not support Detroit. There's enough blame to go around...high labor costs, poor design and engineering, etc., etc.

In a few rare cases, I have seen bright spots where it looks like we are finally getting the message and realized that we must be innovative and care about quality to regain the lead. I agree that Detroit must 'diversify' in the future to keep something like this from happening again, but, right now, Detroit needs something to get it back on track.

The Belle Isle Grand Prix is not the only answer. It is a spark and moving show of automotive advanced technology that is coming to the doorstep of a city and industry that needs all the innovation it can muster. Personally, I see Detroit having a huge opportunity to research, design and build advanced post-petroleum vehicles. Until then, I see a great opportunity to keep making today's cars more efficient, more reliable and still affordable.

Dissin' this opportunity at Belle Isle is like throwing in the towel from my perspective. The whole country would like to see Detroit get its act together again, lead the world and once again, become the Paris of the Midwest, The Motor City, Motown, the big D and even more.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with your last statement, PL, but I don't see how racing on Belle Isle fits in; especially when we're steamrolling over our historically significant treasures in the process.

The "whole country"? That's hyperbole right there.
Many parts of the country are doing just fine economically without us being the auto capital, if that's what you mean?

Peachlaser

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, parts may be doing fine, but the 'whole country' is not.

I group my desire to see something come out of this event on Belle Isle with two other big culture-changing events that I have been associated...

About 35 years ago, I researched and wrote a Latin American foreign policy for the U.S.. Researched for a year before writing. Several of my suggestions were:

1. Assist our Latin neighbors in developing their local economies
2. Help the region get control of exploding populations

If not, I warned, we would see our southern borders overrun with economic refugees from the south.

Back in either the first or second Comdex computer show, I received a tri-fold marketing brochure from the Indian Government. High technology was being declared a national goal in India and both high-tech education and companies were being subsidized in this goal. The Indian rationale was that American students did not have enough motivation to learn programming. They wanted an easier way to make a living. Plus, in the U.S. some of our congressmen were trying to eliminate student loans rather than promote a national incentive to excel.

I see the ability of our automotive industry to rebound and guide the country through economic strength as important. I am not xenophobic and think these countries have earned what they have accomplished. Maybe, I am too much an optimist. But, I think we can regain our ability to design and build the world's best and most-efficient automobiles and as result, rebuild Detroit and build those art districts that you want to happen.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here, here, PL! We both want to see Detroit succeed, but I think that means designing smaller, greener cars; Japan started that and we followed suit. I still think outmoded romanticism of our heyday (Dream Cruise, Grand Prix) amounts to nothing on a global scale; it simply makes us feel good. That's an okay thing only when we're not clinging to it without a vision to diversify our economy. Importing Canada's garbage isn't getting us anywhere either. Pfizer left. Comerica...not to mention the brain drain out of UM.

I want to be optimistic, but I need to be convinced that we have a plan to turn our economy around. I would love to see the city pave the way (no pun intended) for the state.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, well said! Oakmangirl for Deputy Mayor.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, sorry, but I would think that Roger Penske and group who have just poured a reported $10 M into this event would disagree with you. They seem to think this event can influence better things happening. With the manufacturing capacity that Detroit and Michigan have, anything that puts people to work and getting production going full steam will get the world's attention. I promise you.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PL, Sorry but I don't think Penske et al. coughed up the dough out of altruism; in the end, it's just a money making event.

"They seem to think this event can influence better things happening."

I'll admit I haven't read this anywhere, so you could be right about his belief, but don't forget that he now has a vested interest in seeing a revitalized city as does Ilitch- the more the city progresses, the richer he becomes. Obviously, this could be a win-win, but let's not forget he's putting a spin on things.

A city with businesses monopolized by just a few powerful men harkens backward to robber baron days, not forward. If the city at the same time were to see burgeoning small business growth, then we'd be making serious progress. However, seeing only an Ilitchville or Penskeburgh where pockets of growth exist only around sporting events does not a thriving city make. I will concede that it may serve as a springboard for growth, but I remain skeptical. I sure hope we see your promise come true. :-)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hate

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"forget that he now has a vested interest in seeing a revitalized city as does Ilitch"

They both could have left here a long time ago and been just as successful, or more succesful, then they have been by investing in Detroit. They obviously feel a tie, and I don't think you should just discard that as typical greed.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL,

I conceded it could be good for development; I don't mean "robber barons" in its ugliest connotation. However, Ilitch, as a native son, still has a lot to do for the city:

1. He's worth at least $1 billion.
2. His wife has sole "interest" of MC Casino.
3. He owns many abandoned buildings he selectively develops. "While a number of buildings surrounding their properties have been successfully renovated by other building owners, Ilitch Holdings has been behind the curveball when it comes to developing their own properties in Detroit." (yeah, for lack of research time, I'm reluctantly quoting Wikipedia)

My point? Yes, he's connected to the area; maybe he hasn't moved because he loves it, or maybe because it's easier to be a big fish in a little pond? Probably, it's a combo. To think the desire to earn money is not a motivation to stay is naive; where else would he get carte blanche from local govt. and essentially "own" a good portion of the city? Sure, he could moved and invested elsewhere, but it's risky and hard work to start all over when you can make a fortune in your own backyard.

I'm not just picking on him; I feel the same toward the Monoghan and Zingerman domination of Ann Arbor. All I'm really saying is that thriving cities have more entrepreneurial diversity than we now do.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the ALMS website...

http://www.americanlemans.com/ News/Article.aspx?ID=3590

"After knocking everyone's socks off with his tireless leadership of the 2006 Super Bowl XL host committee, Penske is renewing his commitment to the community by bringing racing back to Belle Isle Park with this weekend's Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix featuring the ALMS and the IRL IndyCar Series"

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"All I'm really saying is that thriving cities have more entrepreneurial diversity than we now do."

Hey, I agree they do. But I'm also not going to crap on the little bit of entrepeneurialship we have. Yes, he selectively develops buildings. Developing buildings is not charity work, you do it to make money. If he thought he could make money developing one of those buildings, he would. But it isn't going to happen because we wish it did. Maybe some other billionaires should take a look at the type of carte-blanche permissions they might get from the city as well, and get their butts in here. Until then, we've got a handful of tycoons who still believe Detroit is a place worth investing in. BTW, Illitch is far from being the only wealthy owner of derelict Detroit buildings, but he does do a lot more than a lot of them do to benefit Detroit. Because of his success and wealth, he is an easy lightning rod for criticism, but there is enough to spread around. City council is a good place to start.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"BTW, Illitch is far from being the only wealthy owner of derelict Detroit buildings, but he does do a lot more than a lot of them do to benefit Detroit. Because of his success and wealth, he is an easy lightning rod for criticism, but there is enough to spread around. City council is a good place to start."

Agreed, JL, especially City Council. I don't mean to single out Ilitch, but I think he or any other prominent person who plays monopoly with property or entire city blocks should serve as a role model when it comes to development. For example, do any of these people who buy our bargain treasures choose to live in them or anywhere else in the city? I'm sure some do, but to make an image of yourself as truly tied to or dedicated to a city beyond primarily making money off its depressed state with everyone lauding you for your dedication? Then you damn well should be living in it. Just think of all the gourmet grocers we'd have then....

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I appreciate your ideals Oakmangirl, I just don't see how they translate into practicality. You can't pass a law to make people who own property in a city live there. There are, however, laws that say they must take responsibility for those properties, and those laws need a lot more enforcement.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 763
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grand Prix was much better when it raced through the streets downtown.

Great for all businesses/
I assume it doesnt do that anymore.

the good rev

Peachlaser

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another quote... "While other markets may be more populated and familiar to the American Le Mans Series paddock, none can match the strategic importance of Detroit."

http://www.trackbytes.com/disp lay/ShowGallery?moduleId=18527 3&galleryId=66558

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, I see your practicality argument and fold- idealism is always a losing hand. However, a girl can still dream....

Peachlaser, I appreciate the links, but they are to racing PR sites that make sweeping statements as you quoted, but there's no substance. Being a Midwestern gal, I need meat and potatoes, or better yet, "where's the beef?". You're giving me all bun. I want to believe, but I need to see success stories from other cities linking auto racing to long term revitalization.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl, there is only one Motor City and that is the one we are concerned about. No, there are no other case studies available since there are no other cities in America with as long an automotive history and importance as the history of Detroit.

It is based on basic logic. If Detroit can lead the world in innovation and manufacturing, then Detroit will recover.

Who knows what can happen when you let some of the brightest minds in the international automotive industry cross-pollinate? Let's revisit this topic on an annual basis and compare notes on Detroit's vital signs. Maybe then, we can see if the pollination created anything new and outstanding.

Detroit's international reputation in automotive engineering is not that high, overall, these days. That is also reflected in the cars that the general population has been buying... Japanese, German, Korean, etc. The cars that Detroit is building are getting better and closing the gap, but there is still a HUGE perception problem that still needs to be overcome.

Internationally, Corvette/GM/Compuware/Pratt&Mi ller have gained the U.S. and Detroit a HUGE amount of respect. They have gone up the world's best and won. You win a lot of respect around the world like that. That knocks a huge chunk out of that perception barrier that people in Detroit want to overcome.

I am not that concerned about what happened on the track today. I am more concerned about what happened in the chalets and hospitality suites as people talked, asked questions and got answers. In my comments in this discussion, I have enjoyed our discourse, but most of my comments have been aimed at the lurkers on this board that have direct ties to the automotive industry. For every one of us that post our opinions, there are 100 that follow these exchanges but don't post.

Hopefully, there is a future automotive genius in the crowd, or a designer or decision-maker in this group that will be positively influenced by this event that will create something new, make a decision or talk to someone that will have incredible effects. We need inventors, risk-takers and people with courage that will find a way to get back on track.

Maybe there is a kid that walked through the paddock today and stood there and watched and observed and it made something click and he/she said, "I've got an idea!" And that idea is one that transforms the industry. That is possible. So, did that happen today? I don't know, but I hope so. People either learned something today or, possibly, met their future employers.

For some, a walk through the paddock is similar to walking through a great museum of art. I've walked through both, so I can make that comparison. For many, these prototypes are works of automotive art that are one of a kind examples of exceptional technical innovation and accomplishment. I know that art is in the eye of the beholder as I've enjoyed art in many places and disciplines. Just as not everyone will enjoy Calder, I know everyone may not enjoy this form of art. But, I know that there are those out there that do appreciate this art form and understand the significance of the Belle Isle Grand Prix.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 633
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peachlaser, your post was an enjoyable read full of hope and optimism, even inspirational.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PL,

Your post was very eloquent.

"If Detroit can lead the world in innovation and manufacturing, then Detroit will recover."

I agree that auto design is an art (and science); I'd love to see Detroit take the lead again. First, we have to find a new aerodynamic shape or "think outside the egg". Next, we have to diversify our economy.

Enjoy the race! :-)

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Want to see more? http://www.aerialpics.com/E/grandprix07.html

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 635
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon, thanks for the excellent photographs. It must be exciting to view from above.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 113
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Enjoy the Race!

The irony in all of this is that I won't get to see this race. I'm in Atlanta and our cable company recently rearranged their cable selection and removed two of my favorites... National Geographic and Speed Channel. : (

Thanks for the great shots Don! Reminds me a bit of Monaco!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 657
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ABC coverage of the DGP has just begun out here. It is thrilling to see Detroit highlighted like this. Definitely good press.

[update]
I like the way the race coverage is continued during the annoying commercials.

Sure would have been nice if the track "bumps" had been eliminated prior to the race. This track deficiency has been mentioned about 50 times in the last hour.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on September 02, 2007)

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow what a finish!

Peachlaser

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this event earned Detroit some good international recognition. It was a huge step in overcoming a lot of negative images. Being on summer's last weekend may not have gotten a lot of public attention, it got a lot of international attention.

Congratulations Detroit. This was the first step in a five year deal. It is going to be interesting to see where this leads.

For everyone out there in Detroit that thinks they know how the 21st century automotive industry should progress, this is your time. My best hopes to all of you out there that want to design new automobiles that are more efficient, more reliable, fun to drive and are affordable.

Just like sports cars that must be nimble and quick to respond to road conditions, Detroit must learn how to be flexible and quick to respond, design and build the latest vehicles that meet the expectations of the buying public. Labor-Management problems generally preclude this from happening, but they must learn how to make this happen. If you look on the Corvette, it has GM/UAW on the wing plate.

Mr. Honda, who founded Honda wanted his best engineers to work on his racing teams. He wanted them to see what the international competition was like, he wanted to win against the best, and he wanted his engineers to bring back what they learned to make Honda cars better handling, more reliable and more affordable. Honda just entered the American Le Mans Series through Acura.

The challenge is on.

And a huge thank you to Lowell for making this historic exchange possible. My hat is off to you and you rank right up there with the leaders who are making a historic comeback for Detroit.

Peach

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1611
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit looked FANTASTIC on TV today. Not a cloud in the sky, every time down the back stretch you got a beautiful shot of the skyline. The river water was a beautiful blue. Was a great image.

And I STILL love Helio. Has there ever been a more fun, charismatic guy in racing? He's always smiling, never worried about doing something dumb. Been a fav of mine for years and years dating back to the CART days.

Gonna have to say this event is worth it. Just smooth out that course for next year.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome -- He sure wasn't smiling when he was trying to get at Tomas Scheckter in the medical trailer. :-)

Good race. Wish there were more passing opportunities. Compared to the ALMS race this was a parade. But the DGP has always been about attrition.

Peachlaser

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An 'insider' report from someone (Richard Dole) that has been at almost every ALMS event over the past 10 years...

"The 2007 Detroit Grand Prix was world class in every sense of the phrase. To hundreds of volunteers, the greater Detroit business community, the members of the Penske organization and to Roger Penske – a tremendous round of applause and an enormous amount of gratitude and appreciation for your vision, hard work and execution. The Detroit Grand Prix was perfect. Penske Perfect."

"The local politicians gave the event their blessing and then got the hell out of the way. As a result, the private sector had very little red tape to cut through and things got done in hurry. For example, Belle Isle has 600,000 sq. feet of new concentrate [concrete]. Yes it is part of the paddock during the race weekend, but for the balance of the year it can be used for a multiple of purposes including corporate and civic events. The island has a new permanent playground for kids, new landscaping and a guarantee of further improvements over the next 5 years.

The area business community jumped on board in a very big way. Both the ALMS and IRL races had presenting sponsors (Bosch and Firestone), the corporate hospitality suites were sold out and advertising was displayed throughout the track. In addition, there was a massive amount of assistance on hand; from the Cisco folks in the media center making sure the 4 T-1 lines were always running, to the numerous folks wearing the AAA yellow volunteer shirts who were polite and exceptionally well trained."

more... http://www.sportscarpros.com/a cross-the-border-features-from -guests/features/the-auto-raci ng-promoter-s-bible/the-auto-r acing-promoter-s-bible-gallery -01/default.htm

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely Magnificent.

It was like walking into Augusta the way it was groomed... just a beautiful operation.

I used to regret the race leaving downtown for Belle Isle... now I would think it crazy to go back.

Monaco, Belle Isle...much the same on that Autumn weekend.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.