Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ambassador Bridge Toll Up « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 890
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Moroun raised the fee to cross his Bridge to $3.75 each way on Saturday morning.

Also, traffic into the U.S. has been slow, slow, slow. Now waiting up to an hour to get into U.S. on weekends. I realize that this isn't the Bridge Co.'s fault - anyone know why? Is it because the Canadian dollar is par now?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can he not charge whatever he wants?

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes he can, but I believe that the Ambassador Bridge toll is the highest toll for any US-Canada border crossing, and that was before he raised it.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6345
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit side of the tunnel also jacked up their rates last week from $3.50 to $3.75 US.

The Windsor side remains at $3.50 US.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tolls to cross the Peace Bridge between Fort Erie, Ontario, and Buffalo, New York are
$2.70US or $3.00CD

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The delays are like that at other crossings to. It took me half an hour to cross into Canada on the Blue water bridge, and 2.5 hours to come back. It's all this ramped up customs stuff on the US side.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4082
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody's gotta pay for his new span. Why not us?

The game's called Monopoly and he is winning.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The tolls to cross the Peace Bridge between Fort Erie, Ontario, and Buffalo, New York are
$2.70US or $3.00CD

And you only pay one way there, not both.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 656
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The toll to cross on the ferry at Marine City is $6.00 for a car. You pay both ways. I willingly pay, though, because it takes much less time than to cross on the Blue Water or Ambassador bridges.

So the Ambassador Bridge does not charge the highest toll of any crossing from Michigan to Ontario, much less in the entire U.S.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother told me about the ferry only after I had waited in line for two hours, wish I had known sooner. I'd rather ride a ferry anyway.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raise the tolls- that'll bring more Americans to the south side- good call!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9711
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Walkerpub. More moronic moves by a clueless mayor.
I always thought supply and demand is what increases the price of a product. Interesting that traffic volumes are down at both crossings yet the toll has been raised twice since the height of volume in 2001.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like another thread indicates, some outsiders think we're all rich.

Everything is expensive here and for no reason.

I've heard LA food prices are about 75% of what they are here.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5753
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not meaning to split hairs but doesn't the ferry charge a fare (for services rendered) and the bridge/ tunnel folks pay a toll (for gained access)?

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, there are maintenance costs taken from the tolls. Although Maroun might not be worrying about that.

Some free large suspension bridges I know, the Brooklyn, Williamsburg and Manhattan are in pretty bad shape. They've been free since 1910 and it shows.

The tolls at the Peace Bridge are 3.00 and 3.50 if you're paying cash. The above prices were E-ZPass prices.

If you want expensive, the second longest suspension bridge in the world, with a total 13 kilometer length, the Great Belt Fixed Link is about 38 dollars for a one way crossing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.