Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit: City on the Move « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.archive.org/details /DetroitC1965

Searching the Internet Archives is great fun; I found this incredible 18 min. promo from 1965 we produced in a bid for the Olympics. The city actually boasts about its wonderful city planners. Hard to believe the irony of the video title!

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 178
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good find. A lot has changed in 40 years. and a lot has stayed the same.

I find it interesting that he talks about Detroit being on the verge of a renaissance. We of course are still talking about this today.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theres very few regulars on this forum who haven't seen this video, anyways I cant help but feel a little sorry for Mayor Cavenuagh because he tried his best for the city and believe or not was well respected by many residents black and white who consoled him on his tour of neighborhood's after the riots according to an article in Time I read recently at the library published shortly after the riots.

They made mention of his numerous inner city programs he established for Detroit residents and how Detroit was a model for other city's in this regard. Anyways one of the saddest stories I have ever read.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.