Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Sentinel Building on East Jefferson « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 557
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the Sentinel Building on the north side of East Jefferson? I remember it had a very large open area which was often rented out for parties and such during the 1970's. It was a very nice building. I have no idea if it still exists. Would be nice to see a photograph of it.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 565
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the Sentinel Building the one on the northwest corner of Chene and East Jefferson that Joe Evanski built?

If so, doesn't it have some U.A.W. function now?

Bob Cosgrove

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 559
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NW corner of Chene and East Jefferson sounds correct, but I'm not certain. The Google view of that intersection helps.

It was a multi-story building with a white facade and large steps in the front facing East Jefferson. There was a large convenient parking structure nearby, maybe even underneath the building.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on August 18, 2007)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sentinel Building was built by the Detroit Police Benefit and Protective Association, which provided funds for widows and orphans of Detroit Police Officers. They sold out a few years after it was completed as they were unable to rent out the offices on the upper floors. Had a nice restaurant on the second floor called the Code 30 lounge.

If you ever bought a Detroit Police Field Day ticket, you supported the Association.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.