Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Rosa Parks Transit Center....transit hub breakthrough? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 458
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When all else fails, go to Grand Central Station.

We have no transit hub in Michigan. As the heart of the entire state (Downtown Detroit) starts the ball rolling for a transit starting point, I see RPTC as some what of a breakthrough.

If i were a tourist from Europe staying at the holiday inn express, a Windsor resident that took the tunnel bus to Detroit, Or a young couple from Chicago, The Rosa Parks Transit Center as my threshhold into the city of Detroit would make me feel appart of a collective effort to make my visit user friendly.

Book Caddilac, Greektown, Harmony Park and campus Mart to the right,

MGM Grand and Motor City to the left. River walk, GM, and Cobo Center to the south.

Ford Field, Comerica Park, Fox town to the north..

I think we bout to have it goin on..only thing left is retail, retail, retail, the residents are comming.....

whats your opinion?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 611
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well considering there is no train service to Rosa Parks (albeit a stone's throw from a PM station) I dont it will have the effect youre desiring. No doubt it is a massive breakthrough for downtown and will drastically enhance the appeal of bus service, but I dont know how many of the demographics you cited are taking DDOT or SMART buses. I see maybe a new intermodal transit center in New Center, like will eventually be constructed (its on New Center Councils 3 year list) just south of our current Amtrak station, having that effect as it's integrated into a more developed TechTown with some sort of light rail like the current study with URS? is evaluating along with AA commuter service etc will have that effect...a place for people to step of the Amtrak look around and go "wow, Detroit's not all that bad"

Ideally for such a station my dream would be to save the arches and entrance area of MCS and use it as a shell for a newly constructed center.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems that the RPTC in its current design is hardly big enough for the DDOT routes, let alone SMART, or any other mode of transportation. Down here in Charlotte (don't critique me for the comparison as I am only trying to compare the number of bus routes to the number of bays), the bus terminal has two rows with bus bays on each side, making for 22 bays. I don't imagine that DDOT has any fewer routes than the bus system down here.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=60962612&size=o
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9 236408@N03/613485232/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t hewendyhouse/132756575/
Seems like RPTC would at least have to be doubled to accomodate much more. I don't know that there is really that much extra room around that site, and besides, since when does the City of Detroit plan ahead for mass transit?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.