Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Chili Cook Off, Dakota Inn/Rathskeller 8/25/07 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next Saturday the Dakota Inn is having its annual chili contest. Its outside in their biergarten. Good German music, Cold Beer, raffles, Lots of fun. Dakota Inn is on John R Between 6 and 7 mile rd. closer to 6. p.s. Beano on demand!

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 879
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't August a wierd month to have a chili cook-off? Seems like it's better suited to the fall months than the hottest part of the summer.

That said, I should give them a call to find out requirements and rules for entering. I love to make some firey stew, and love the Dakota to boot.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oddly, I have never been there. Do they have a nice selection of German beers there? I am looking for something much more interesting than Becks. What kind of music does the pianist play and is he good?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazz the place is a great piece of history and a real work of art. I went there to get in touch with my German heritage (not a 100%) glad the language wasnt passed down,tried several dishes, enjoyed the singalongs. It was tempting to fall off the wagon and get smashed as the spot was very festive. The food is kind of pricey for the portions, but is well prepared. Much of it has a sauer taste.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 563
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ sauer or sour?

Has the Dakota been under "Summer hours"?

I went there a few weeks ago and the sign indicated that they should have been open yet were not....?

Anyone anyone?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a dish called sauerbrauten.I guess I spelled the German version of the word. You guys gonna attend?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11659
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went last year, may very well check it out again this year.

Bussey, they close for a month for vacation, they just reopened last week or so.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 537
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody make any chili with The merciless peppers of Quetzlzacatenango! I hope someone knows what that is!

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 419
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone wants to attend one of their Oktoberfest evenings now is the time to make reservations. They fill up fast.

Dakota Inn Rathskeller

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareast, I think those peppers were grown by the inmates of a Guatemalan insane asylum!

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They say he carved it himself . . . from a bigger spoon."

Sorry, to continue the threadjack, but I love that line.

On point, I haven't been to the chili cook-off at the Dakota, but that place is fantastic. Delicious sauerbraten, brats, and potato pancakes; great German beer; and the weekend sing-alongs are a blast. I once even got to don the Tyroler hat and lead the place in the Scnitzelbank song. Ist das nicht 'ne Schnitzlebank?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.