Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Is Detroit too Insular? « Previous Next »
Archive through August 17, 2007Gazhekwe30 08-17-07  10:55 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another place to go where things are walkable is down to Vernor and Springwells area or the more well visited area around Bagley and Clark Park. It's one of the few areas in Metro Detroit where I actually feel like I'm in a city. One that actually goes more than a few blocks. Walkable, full of people, narrow packed streets, houses packed on narrow lots. Probably the least "provincial" area of the city that I've come across. And you should always be able to find something good to eat there.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Oakman; I grew up and lived on Oakman also--between Joy and Tireman.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9873
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kidding.

8235 Appoline, on that block between Belton and where Oakman makes that eastern turn...just north of Tireman.

1966-75 or so

Can't say I've grown up yet, not sold on the concept.

Jjw

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6055 Oakman: right at the turn. cross-street was Appoline. My brother married a girl in the home behind us on Appoline. (since divorced).

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjw,

Hi neighbor. We also lived for a few years off W. Chicago near the "lush" Stoepel Park. In high school, I went to my share of parties in your area.

Gannon

Post Number: 9874
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjw,

Was that Mary K? Or are you talking on the north side of Oakman?

When were you there?!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2377
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Can't say I've grown up yet, not sold on the concept

Wendy, Gannon, John...Tinkerbell, come on...Look at me way up high, suddenly here am I, I'm flying....

Gannon

Post Number: 9875
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh, heh

I have always had an innate understanding of how gravity can be your friend or your enemy.

H-m-m-m-n-n

Jjw

Post Number: 409
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure what the north side would be to be honest. When Oakman bent, we were the yellow brick home-second from the corner of Appoline. My brother married a girl named Gloria K. Her father was a policeman in Detroit. She had two sisters.

Jjw

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there in the 60s-70s. Graduated in 73 from high school and went to Wayne.

Gannon

Post Number: 9876
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You were seven or eight years ahead of me, then.

St. Al's 1981.

Not the "K" family I was thinking of, Mary only had a brother.

When you were starting to drive, I was part of that army of brats that took over the islands on Oakman with our extensive cops-n-robbers games.

You probably knew a few of the Merritts on Sorrento, then.

That really was/is some neighborhood, I drive through there at least once a year...reminding myself of my roots...reset the photo memory circuits.

Jjw

Post Number: 411
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehehe-good memories. driver's training at Mckenzie. Went to St. Lukes. I used to always play in those medians also. forts in there. I revisit everytime I am back. close friends with the Whitmore clan and there were a lot of kids.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 775
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Detroit too insular?
No, but Michigan has two peninsulars.
Thank you!
Try the roast beef!
:-)

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^lol

I would have parked on Broadway and then patronized one of my local favorites: The Detroit Beer Company.

There, that was easy. :-)

Second attempt would have been a short drive into Eastern Market to my favorite Thai restaurant, Sala Tai. Muchos parkingos as far as the eye can see.

You could have even gone out on a limb and sat down to sushi at the Asian Village on the waterfront. Heck, you can even park on top of the restaurants! Only in Detroit do we ask, "would you like a little food with your car?"

Detroit's urbanity is not Chicago's urbanity. Therefore, since they're completely different, Detroit's experience is better than Chicago's. Unless, you're going for the Chicago experience in which that city wins. Apples and oranges.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 980
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit and Michigan are incredibly insular. It's like a strange little civilization.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 793
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to be very clear, it was at the original Corktown Eph McNally's that you were turned away and not the Downtown Eph's less than a mile away. Since you are not prepared to pay for Central Business District parking, Downtown Eph's is only accessible to you on Saturday or Sunday. I still think if you were out and about at 1;30 midweek, you should have known to visit the other location or a dozen other options, or you need a tour guide yourself.

But then, I am one who absolutely relishes in the small town/big town, Detroit filter that some of you refer to as a provincial attitude. It weeds out the small minded, high maintenance Americans who are so prevalent in every other corner of our country. On the contrary, our Detroit attitude is more akin to the very cosmopolitan attitudes of career waiters in Paris who have no patience to guide the sixtieth crop of newbies to the heart that is. Let them discover it the hard way...or be gone. Who cares?

Histeric

Post Number: 794
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to further clarify, HUH what? If you want fresh food, you have to understand that sometimes it runs out!!!!!Otherwise we would have walkin freezers full of PRETEND fresh food. Eph's = Fresh food delivered and served daily. Get there early. It might run out which equals... A good thing.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Histeric, c'est comme-ça. I'm not going to bother countering your attitude because clearly you didn't read closely enough. I will say that I was in Corktown and have been in a Parisian cafe when they ran out of bread; I wasn't greeted by a locked door and an attitude...I whiled away the time over une tasse until the bread arrived from the boulangerie two doors down. Gee, the whole freakin' place didn't come to a grinding halt for lack of anything else to serve. Try seeing that happen in The Straits.

Have you lived in France? Your ability to look past stereotypes and see into a French waiter's psyche astounds me.

Histeric

Post Number: 795
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I have not lived in France. Closest I have come was attending the University of Granada in Spain for a couple trimesters and traveling during vacations.

The point remains, the Corktown location is all of eight hundred square feet with seating for twenty five and literally no storage. If a take out call went in for thirty or forty sandwiches, can't you see them running out of multiple items? If not, and you couldn't come up with some options, like perhaps the historic Hygrade Deli down Michigan, then again...you might need a tour guide yourself. Maybe you are more familiar, like my suburban relatives, with Chicago, NY, London and Paris then you are with your own hometown. And the shame for that resides with our "provincial attitudes"? Please. Grow some skin girl. Take some responsibility for knowing your own hometown.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Histeric,

I understand you must be part owner/owner, whatever, of Eph's, so I'm sorry for the bad PR. I can empathize with the situation but not the shitty attitude. Apparently, you were open again not long after so why not nicely inform a customer of what's going on?

As for knowing parts of Paris better than the "new" Corktown and CBD, guilty as charged. As I wrote above, I haven't been back in Detroit long; I used to live in a larger provincial city near NYC, so excuse my ignorance. Yep, apparently I need a tour guide. Hell, when I came back home, I was hoping to enjoy the Tea Room in Corktown and was bummed to see it had closed. How was I to know Hygrade hadn't closed? It's not like you can just stumble upon a restaurant every few blocks in our fair metropolis.

I was trying to see our city through the eyes of a visitor, and on that day, I could see why he preferred other more walkable, densely inhabited, cities over Detroit. Guess I'll have to print out most of the food suggestions here and wait for the next food issue of the Metro Times to educate myself. I'm always eager to learn.

Histeric

Post Number: 797
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am always happy to act as tour guide. I am usually around the Downtown Eph's M-F til 5. Happy to help one with genuine desire. Pointers during the day, personal guide service after five. Ask for Scott

Jjw

Post Number: 413
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Histeric: (quote) "It weeds out the small minded, high maintenance Americans who are so prevalent in every other corner of our country. On the contrary, our Detroit attitude is more akin to the very cosmopolitan attitudes of career waiters in Paris who have no patience to guide the sixtieth crop of newbies to the heart that is. Let them discover it the hard way...or be gone. Who cares?"

Histeric: One needs a ladder, boots, and a shovel for all of that sh.. you have dumped on here. Note on door: time with errand (went out to get more bread-be back in 10).

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It weeds out the small minded, high maintenance Americans who are so prevalent in every other corner of our country.

...and tax revenue along with it...

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's okay...Histeric was simply defending home turf; I can appreciate that- besides we made up.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Can think of a million places you could have gone within a 5 minute drive or walks. Have you heard of Bronx Bar? Slows? Nemos? Anywhere in Mexican Town? Cobo has a great little lunch counter, the Omni Hotel on the deck has great food beautiful views, Butchers Inn in Eastern Market OR just pick up some food at one of the hundreds of places in Eastern Market and go to Belle Isle for a picnic. Or Union Street or the places across the street from there.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1922
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.mapdetroit.com/dev1 /main_home.html

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A "million" places? Hardly...it was more a matter of being thwarted at every turn. Like we then felt like driving to Mexican Town? As I said twice before...I'm becoming reacquainted with the city after many years away. How long has Eastern Market been open 6-7 days a week?

Thanks, Johnlodge, I know my way around the city fairly well, but the map they provide of Royal Oak is really a boon. God, so typical...even downtown you can't escape that plastic 'burb.

What Detroit really needs is a small restaurant guide like a Zagat's minus the suburbs.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW that interactive map I posted is built into touch screen kiosks that are popping up around downtown. There is one just inside the door of Union Street.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read that, JL. It is handy. Is it kept up to date with new food and watering holes or merely a Super Bowl leftover? I can't stand the annoying audible clicking demo; do they think people are that inept?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5806
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simple economics, not enough customers to warrant staying open, so just close.

I'm betting, we'll soon see another place (not Ephs) shutting its doors soon, that several forumers "love" since the employees are working without pay to keep it open.

Gannon

Post Number: 9886
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would be surprised.

It would be nice if some programmer coalition would insert a nifty 'HTFU' hidden button on each of these touch screens to Hurry things along for those of us who know the next step and can process a wee faster.

That would be one Easter Egg worth remembering...

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

The map has a lot of possibility but right now Eph's isn't listed though apparently Baskin-Robbin makes for a nice, square meal. Eastern Market doesn't even exist! As I suspected, it was designed for football fans who would never go beyond thee DIA...bullocks!

Jams, Eph's was busy...they just chose to make a load of $$ off preparing 40 sandwiches for a carry out while turning away people who bothered to visit them. Good economics, poor customer service.

Gannon

Post Number: 9887
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't had Baskin-Robbins for dinner, but I can heartily recommend the Happy Cream Banana Split.

All the food groups are in there plus the lovin' that goes into the makin' it.

Oakmangirl,
The worst part of the story was that grinning employee, unwilling to give a reason...let alone a recommendation. I'm still bothered by that.

I jumped to the conclusion that it was one of the owners, but I also thought then you were talking Eph's on Woodward...the place I was for my afternoon mid-run meal.

Dunno who they have working at the other joint.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5809
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl
quote:

Jams, Eph's was busy...they just chose to make a load of $$ off preparing 40 sandwiches for a carry out while turning away people who bothered to visit them. Good economics, poor customer service.

I don't disagree.

A day later, they'd have loved your business, I'd guess.

It's a weird market in Downtown right now, the prospects are great, the day-to-day is marginal.

Tough to live and pay employees on marginal.

Keep trying, that's what most of the owners are doing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.