Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Interesting Things To Check Out In the D « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Though I've lived in the Metro Detroit area all of my 34 years, as sad as it sounds, I just found Mexicantown last week.

My visits to Detroit usually consisted of sticking to Woodward and the immediate area frequenting the bars, museums, festivals, Belle Isle, Eastern Market, etc. until a few months ago. I started taking road trips with nothing more than a street map and an iPod and just driving around getting lost. Doing so, I found some cool places such as:

-Delray
-The Packard Plant
-Hamtramck Disneyland
-Old Redford
-Indian Village

And, yes - Mexicantown. All I ever thought Mexicantown was was nothing more than a couple of restaurants right off of I-75 until I took Vernor in from Dearborn. Unbelievable that Mexicantown was under my nose like that.

So, I ask of you fine forum folk who know the city and its more interesting areas better than I, to help me find other cool/interesting/neat things to stumble upon outside of the immediate downtown area.

Much thanks!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry that I don't have an immediate suggestion, but I see that you are new to posting, here (and I love your screen name,) so I want to wish you a warm welcome to DetroitYes. We're a frequently irritating, generally cantankerous bunch of know-it-alls and extremists, but we're not so bad once you get to know us.
And I GUARANTEE that you will get some worthwhile responses.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boston Edison, Palmer Park/Palmer Woods/University District/Sherwood Forest, Woodlawn and Elmwood Cemeteries, West Village, Lafayette Park, Riverwalk, Rouge Park, Heidelberg Project ...

These areas were all revelations for me as I discovered them over the years.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might be surprised at a visit to 7 & Livernois. Drive up Livernois North to 8 mile. Nothing spectacular, but might be more than you expect.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aldo, have you been to the Fisher Building and New Center One? There are some cool shops in there. The surrounding neighborhood is looking good, too.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 795
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, whats Hamtramck Disneyland ?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-ok, whats Hamtramck Disneyland

http://hamtramckstar.com/index .php/2006/12/17/p799#more799

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 796
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah! Thanks!

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Ferry St in Midtown!

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever seen it lit up?

http://defcode.com/wiki/index. php/2007/07/04_Hamtramck_Disne yland

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 538
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernois and Tireman area!

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets not forget the new far east side development. Excellent example of urban renewal, (not urban removal!)

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come on down to my neighborhood, the Berry Subdivision, south of Jefferson just west of Waterworks Park. Lot's of pretty houses like:

The "Castle" on 530 Parkview Dr:

The "White House" on 508 Parkview Dr:

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's Crib on Dwight St:

(Message edited by quozl on August 17, 2007)

Screamingfit
Username: Screamingfit

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Johnlodge: I live at 8/Livernois so I know the 7 to 8 stretch really well. I believe there's more retail in that mile long stretch than in the whole of neighboring Ferndale. Whodathunk?

Meaghansdad: What are the cross streets of this far Eastside development you speak of?

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Scarab Club in Midtown.
Heidelberg Project.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screamingfit, yes, it's a nice place. I mentioned it because the first time I was there was not that long ago, and I had no idea such a thriving stretch of retail existed there. It would appear that church, which has banners all up and down Livernois, may have something to do with it?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 523
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QOUZLE, wait a tick, do you live in the early's old house on dwight? I was raised in 9120 Dwight! 3 houses west of the "Magic Kingdom" with the Q that you pictured. we were probably neighbors for a long time (and VandykeAndJefferson, my brother, was too FTM)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. when i said "early's" i meant the Oswalds. the Early's lived on the other western end of the street.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andylinn, I am originally a west side guy. I grew up over on Archdale and Schoolcraft.

Are you related to the woman (I think her name is Diane) who was involved with that Homeschool Support group? I know exactly what house you are talking about.

Just out of curiosity, do you know that super nice yet very crazy lady a few houses up from Dwight on the west side of Lodge that is the Mayor Kilpatrick's biggest enemy?

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Q,
Tell us more about the nice crazy lady who is KKwame's worst enemy. She sounds interesting.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.