Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Towne Club pop « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully this hasn't been discussed before but can anyone here give any info on Towne Club? I used to love going to pick out my favorite flavors as a kid. They tried to come back in the 90's but you couldn't go to the warehouse and pick your flavors.

Where were they? Were they strictly Detroit area? How many flavors did they have? What was the strangest one you can remember? Did they use cane sugar or corn syrup? Share your thoughts....

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandparents lived in the Livernois/Michigan ave area. For special occasions, my Grandpa used to drive to a place on Vernor that had a huge Dads Root Beer sign out front. It was like a ware house, and you could go in and buy pop, beer, chips, etc. He used to go to that place, because they had this bright blue pop that was my Grandmas favorite.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 117
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage-I am not 100% sure...but I think they had 24 flavors. ...and then again that may have been the total number of bottles per case.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 317
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bottling plant was at 10 mile and Ryan in Warren. I'm not sure if that was the only bottling facility or not. There was a Towne Club outlet at 13 mile and Hayes. There were 24 bottles to a wooden case but I can't remember exactly how many flavors there were. I want to say more than 24 but I'm not sure. A case of 24 bottles cost $1.44 when I was a kid. The commercial I remember was not the one from You Tube but one of talking price tags. Towne Club made discs of major league baseball players in about 1976. They were free with purchase. The bottles as well as the cases underwent several changes over the years. There was also a Miss Towne Club hydroplane in the early 1970's. I drank a lot of Towne Club in my day. :-)

Ookpik

Jyogi
Username: Jyogi

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems it is still made but was purchase by Intrastate Distributing in Detroit.

http://www.intrastatedistribut ors.com/

Also here is the little info Wikipedia had...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T owne_Club

I am starting to really like Wikipedia!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2610
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Red (aka redpop)
two kinds of cola
sasparilla
orange
grape
orange-pineapple (or something-it was yellow)
rock & rye
lemon-lime
some kind of chocolate/fudge flavor
creme soda
raspberry creme (I think)
root beer
ginger ale

I know there are quite a few more

(Message edited by lilpup on August 15, 2007)

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picking out different kinds of soda was great fun as a kid. I dont remember picking too many different flavors...i stuck with good ole cola.

D2dyeah

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the Towne Club sodas were frozen into popsicles and sold at the corner store and by the ice cream truck in my Grandparents neighborhood. Again, whatever that blue pop was,it was terrific.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

was the blue raspberry? or wildberry?

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we had a towne club pop store up here in port huron...

we used to get the diet cola. YEECH! i would have rather drank cough syrup instead...

d

D2dyeah

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup /..... I just called my Mother and you got it!! It was Wildberry. It looked like windex!! Made great popsicles!!

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember they had diet flavors because occasionally one would end up in the mix. That wasn't a good thing.

That intrastate web site is one of the worst designed sites I have ever seen. Putting midi files is so 1994. They are actually using Journey's "Open Arms" on one of the few links that works. They should know better than to use a copy written song. Also, the new Towne Club design on the plastic bottle looks like it was done by the same people that design Faygo.

The crew here has offered more information than Wikapedia. Anyone want to edit the page?

In the mid-late 90's they were still using the same bottles that I remember as a kid.

Ookpik

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another flavor is/was "Sparkle Up." It was Towne Club's version of 7-Up.

Ookpik

Highway29
Username: Highway29

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the 10 Mile/Ryan plant in the building that now houses Reinhart Food Service?

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2904
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that it was on the opposite corner that Reinhart is on?

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was the a Towne Club on the NW side? I remember going there with my grandparents in the early 70s.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Another flavor is/was "Sparkle Up." It was Towne Club's version of 7-Up.

Ok, who made Uptown Soda? Was that Faygo?

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2906
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever seen Towne Club on the shelves recently?

I know that they tried to make a comeback some time ago with plastic bottles, but it just didn't taste the same.

Ookpik

Post Number: 319
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uptown was Faygo. Someone made a "Bubble Up" but I forget who.

As far as the bottling plant on 10 mile and Ryan goes - I seem to remember that it was torn down.

Ookpik

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh the age of glass bottles for pop!!! Still think soda tastes best in a bottle.

I loved Town Club..have memories of going to buy a case or two for birthday parties. I think that was before we had deposits on bottles and cans....I seem to remember it was a novelty to save the bottles and return them after use.
We always went to the one on 10 and Ryan.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5119
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a previous thread about Towne Club someone mentioned a "Cletus" flavor... was that a joke or factual. Can't remember.

And wasn't there a flavor similar to a "Mountain Dew" flavor?

Steve
Username: Steve

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an outlet in Berkley on Coolidge between 11 and 12 Mile Roads.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

westland had a towneclub store, every family get together had towneclub for the kids. i remember going to the whistle stop pop shop on joy rd. Back in the 90,s i think Towneclub had the glass bottles. it was at a gas station on wayne rd in westland. then one day it was plastic bottles. ain,t had either towneclub or whistle stop in while.

Chad
Username: Chad

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to be a store on 18mile and Rochester road in Troy also.
In the Cleveland tv market The Ghoul used to schill the stuff on his show.
cola= Coke
kola= Pepsi

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved Towne Club!! The flavors I remember: Sparkle Up & Pop-a-go-go??

Anyways, we had an outlet right between Lawson's & Dino's Pizza on Houston-Whittier.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this subject has been mentioned before, but not in its own thread. Towne Club is still on the shelves-in plastic bottles unfortunately-but it's not like the good old days when we went to the warehouse(s) and picked flavours of our choices. I remember the one on Houston-Whittier between Harper and Kelly, and there was one on Grand River between Schaefer and Schoolcraft (I believe it was in '91 that they folded) but when you're a kid and you've been gulping Towne Club most of your childhood years, you wanna step up to either Faygo, Vernors, or Pepsi and Coke Products. I'd love to have crates of Towne Club in my house again. My grandfather may still have an empty crate (with empty bottles in it). I wonder how much it's worth? One I'll say about TC, the major pops didn't have ANYTHING on 'em, 'cause [I don't know about anyone else] I was belching my (butt) off! Those were the days.

BTW, I might remember the one on Coolidge (Schaefer) between 11 and 12 mile roads-that's been many years ago for me to recall-My mom used to work at Beaumont Hospital in the 80s. That's how I was able to recall that location just now.
Thanks, Steve and Applesauce.

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

worst jingle ever...

Jeffdunncom
Username: Jeffdunncom

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone had mentioned the Towne Club hydroplane. The boat was owned and campaigned by Detroiter Fred Alter back in the early 70's. Here are some photos:

http://www.unlimitedsdetroit.c om/photo_db_results.cfm?kw=Tow ne

Jeff

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.