Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Canadian Side of Lake Saint Clair « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 533
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been thinking about making a day trip along Lake Saint Clair on the canadian side as I have never been on their shore there. Where are some good places to go there? Anyone ever been around there. How about some pics I know there is a lot less development on their side of the lake.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you ever take the VIA Rail train from Windsor to Toronto, the tracks go along Lake St. Clair for a while and you have a wonderful view of the lake. Lots of farm fields along there if I remember correctly.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are driving along Riverside Drive in Windsor just follow it in a easterly direction.You will drive through the east side of the city and its suburban areas along the water out past tecumseh and puce.. It will take you approximately 15 miles to a town called Belle River, if you continue you will see roads that wind along the river and the lake...

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6340
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to burst your bubble, but there's not a whole lot to do out there...

Go for a ride, and explore the county, visit some wineries too...

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that the little town across from Marine City, Sombra, Ontario (where the Bluewater Ferry docs on the Canadian Side) has a tiny little museum and a couple tea rooms. That is about all I know about that side of the border that might be of interest.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 642
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sombra is north of the lake though. There's also a make-your-own-wine place and a couple gift shops, and a decent restaurant.

It sounds from Fareast's post that what he's looking for is a less-developed experience, and that is what he will find on the Ontario side of the lake. There's not really any major highway going from Windsor to Sarnia, you're driving on country roads for the most part.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 992
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, as you pull into Belle River, find your way down to the marina. This is a beautiful cut-stone harbor that they made about 10-15 years ago to attract transient boats. From a boater's perspective, it is a gem. When you are looking out from your transom to the lake, you might as well be up at one of the Lake Huron harbors Up North.

There is a restaurant at the marina on the second floor that serves primarily Greek food. There are windows on the three sides of the place that give a magnificent view of the lake. Relax, the food doesn't come quickly but it is good.

After lunch, make your way out to the main drag and go left for a couple of blocks until you see a little espresso shop. There you can get a good cappuccino and some Italian ice (I forget the proper name).

After all that, you may yet want to travel North through Walpole Island (the Indian Reservation) to the area the others noted that has the Ferry back to Marine City on the Michigan side. It is bit of a drive I believe.

Enjoy!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3590
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going that way this weekend. Are there any beaches on the downwind side of the lake? I'm guessing it will look a bit different that the shoreline along the east side of metro Detroit...and a lot less developed (you can tell that from all the farms along 401).

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 993
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there is a beach right in Belle River (also known as Lakeshore).

They do kite sailing over there.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an aside, what's the current I.D. situation for crossing through the border. Passport? Birth Certificate? It's so confusing that it has kept me from planning trips over to Canada.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Canada I have a vacation coming IM THERE. Thanks a million for the info.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1081
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

US citizens crossing the border at the tunnel or bridge must have either a US Passport, or in its absence, two pieces of ID: photo identification plus proof of citizenship.

The Passport-only requirement has been delayed until 2008.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4806
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can also go north of Sarnia to I think it's called Kettle Point and a nearby waterfall. I am not sure of the name but it feels like northern Michigan over there.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walpole Island is a great stop-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W alpole_Island

also Mitchells's Bay is a very restful on a hot summer day- as is Lighthouse Cove- decent resto with a good view.

My ancestors hail from Stoney Pointe- Pointe Aux Roches- but not much doin' there these days although the church is reminiscent of those in Quebec- all in all a very nice road beyond Stoney Point along the lake- some of the best farmland in the country...

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how about Puce? Is it named after the color Puce or the French word for a flea? If the former, what is the puce thing that inspired the name? If the latter, why?

Not a question of earth-shaking importance, but I've wondered . . .

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.