Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old Photo LV - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides the Fox, what are we looking at and where was the photographer standing?

For a larger version of the photo, please click here.

Ookpik

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm not mistaken, that's the Gem Theater behind the Fox, and where the word 'copy' is in smaller print, I believe that's the State (now Fillmore).

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6348
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's ILLITCHVILLE before Mike Illitch takes over.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is the Fox office building and theater in the background and the State Theater, what is now the small recording studio and the Womens City Club in the foreground. The Gem was across Woodward on Elizabeth.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photographer could be standing In/on top of the Michigan Building or Fyfe.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fyfe? Come on.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photographer was most likely standing on top of the Michigan Mutual building.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4075
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that stairway [fire escape?] on the side of the Fox still there? When I looked at it in the little picture, I thought it was an old style Greyhound bus where the back passenger section was elevated.

56packman

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell--yes, it is still there, sans sheet metal roof--that is the fire escape for the balcony portions of the theatre.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2431
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So then is that the Donovan/Motown building in the left rear? And in the right rear the old Mount Carmel Hall? (Somebody help me out here with that name!!)

56packman

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From left to right: the Donovan/Mowtown bldg. (west side of Woodward), The Savoy hotel (had many names, ended up as Mount Carmel Hall, then Dy-No-Mited) just a small peek at St. John's Episcopal, a commercial building that has been gone for a long time(all east side of Woodward)
The Fox theatre and "Fox daylight building" in the left 3/4 of the picture, the State theatre stagehouse and auditorium in the lower right. The buildings in the lower left were buildings that fronted on Columbia, and are well back of the building that today is a recording studio.

(Message edited by 56packman on August 15, 2007)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, 56packman, for the clarification!!!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 879
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very interesting early 1960's photograph that was taken pre-Fisher Freeway.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5506
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman nailed the hell out of it. Good work.

jjaba, Old timey Michigan Mutual customer.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back, jjaba.

the rock- Old timey Michigan Mutual employee.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the photographer was standing on the roof of the Tuller Hotel.

56packman

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no-ahh-ahh, The Michigan Mutual building would be in the way

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2211+woodwa rd+detroit+mi&sll=37.0625,-95. 677068&sspn=31.426353,59.23828 1&ie=UTF8&ll=42.336976,-83.051 813&spn=0.003577,0.007231&t=k& z=17&om=1

I say Michigan Mutual or Kales

(Message edited by 56packman on August 16, 2007)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5507
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rock. Maybe you took that photo back when.
I know you took your smoke breaks up on that roof.

What was The Rock's job at Michigan Mutual?

jjaba, Westsider.

The_rock

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outside claim adjuster in the workers' compensation department,9-5 during the day, U of D law night school from 6-9. Made for a long day, and never had time to get up to the roof.
Best part of the job was driving a company Chevy Impala, MM paid for all the gas, insurance and maintenance and we had personal use and unlimited personal miles all for $20 a month. Couldn't beat that deal.
But those silicosis cases filed by retired Hudson Motor Car workers kept me pretty busy.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5508
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, did you pay off to the workers who got sick at Hudsons Motors? Sounds like a bad sentence for just bolting some cars so jjaba could drive his Hornet.

Chevy Impala is still a good car. Too bad nobody drives them except police and cabbies. jjaba is happy to report that The Rock owns a Chevy.

jjaba.

The_rock

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The claimants were mostly Yugoslavians refugees who at one time worked for an outfit in Detroit called City Pattern Co, and then worked for Hudson Motor Car ,and then retired. Two Detroit law firms, with strong Union connections, got ahold of the retirement lists, contacted the retirees, and the claims were then filed.(Talk about solicitation!)
Both CP and Hudson were "defendants" in the comp tribunal. Most of the cases were settled rather cheaply. Pronouncing the names of the claimants was the toughest part of the litigation.

Speaking of litigation, jjaba, I suggest you check out "This Day in 1812" on the Discuss Detroit Forum, and give me a call. We can file your suit either in Wayne Circuit or Federal Court--usual fees. I'll pop for the filing fee.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh Rock, any of these names familiar...Larry Cripps
Vic Lacca, Jim Fitzgerald, Henry Brokora, Cathy Crawford, Don Smith, Brian Francis, Lou kennedy?????

Davetroit
Username: Davetroit

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's safe to say that the photographer was in the Kales building, on the 12th floor:

classicview

This is the view from my apartment. Cool to have this old picture to compare as I stare out the window from my desk and daydream about Detroit back in the day...
Good pick for the pic of the day Ookpik!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Dave! You must be in exactly the same spot. That's really really cool.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW looks like scrappers got the casing around the machinery on top of that building in the lower right, LOL.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Davetroit - Awesome pic! Thanks! :-)

Then:

Now:

Ookpik

Jjaba

Post Number: 5509
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing work. Thanks Davetroit #14. Welcome to Forum.

Yes, sounds like a scam to jjaba, Rock. So Rock defended the company and gave the workers bupkas, maybe enough to drive Up North for a weekend, eh.

Sounds like Hudson self-destructed anyways although The Rock drove off in a new Hornet.

jjaba.

The_rock

Post Number: 1911
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldestuff--Henry Brokora was my boss in the W.C. department. He offered me a job as a supervisor on the desk rather than continuing as an adjuster on the outside, but I would have had to give up my company car. I only got a $300 a year increase, and the car allowance alone was worth 7 times that, so I said "no thanks", and remained an outside adjuster til I passed the bar and left. Under him was Ray Batson, a legend in the MM archives.
Cathy Crawford rings a bell. John Imesch was the manager over all liability units. I see him occasionally in GP.
A few of the guys I worked with became worker comp referees. MM was a real training ground and the largest worker comp carrier in the state. At one time they owned Doctors Hospital(then called Michigan Mutual Hospital) and which used to be at E. Jefferson and Joe Campau, just to treat comp. injuries.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the_rock: Yeah, I used to work there too. John Imesch suffered from the salvage scandal and Jim Fitzgerald replaced him for awhile before being sent to the Warren Office. I really thought MM would go on forever because of it's history, but,nothing ever stays the same. I left right after they became Amerisure because nothing seemed "sure" at that time. Now they're in the "pickle" building in Farmington. Cathy was my boss for awhile and they she got promoted to Regional WC Mgr and then suddenly she was ousted. CJ Pentis
was another of the biggies. Never could spell his last name right.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is terrific!

Nice work Dave.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 566
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The before and after is remarkable. More please!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.