Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit slides to the number 2 spot in foreclosures!!!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jz_detroit
Username: Jz_detroit

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it only gets better!!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/1 4/real_estate/California_citie s_lead_foreclosure/index.htm?p ostversion=2007081411

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've noticed the For Sale signs dissapearing here in Ferndale. There were quite a few for awhile, but they seem to be dropping like flies. Hopefully a sign of improvement.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4694
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting City comparison stats:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines /moneymag/bplive/2007/snapshot s/PL2622000.html

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I've noticed the For Sale signs disappearing here in Ferndale.

Most likely because the listing agreement term has expired and the seller is looking for a new real estate agent.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assumptions.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2602
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, some interesting numbers there D'stylin

Looking at that it seems we have a lot more leisure time and disposable income than the average "best place to live," and our property crime is a lot lower!

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 607
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at #25 - Warren/Farmington Hills/Troy

Any other big city metros on the list twice?

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 701
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove up to Manistee and then on to Traverse city. For Sales signs were in abundance btwn the two cities and it just wasn't the low end of the market either.

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 124
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The finest site for housing data:

www.housingtracker.net

It's ugly.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In the first half of 2007, Detroit showed the second highest foreclosure rate among the nation's 100 largest metropolitan areas with one foreclosure filing for every 29 households, while Las Vegas was third with one foreclosure filing for every 31 households.

Detroit and Las Vegas foreclosure rates doubled from the same period in 2006. Detroit reported 28,705 foreclosure filings on 20,231 properties while in the metro area of Las Vegas comprising Clark County, 22,928 foreclosure filings were reported on 13,028 properties.

This is interesting.....as as been widely trumpeted, Las Vegas has been in hyper-growth status for the past few years...rapidly expanding. Detroit...um...not so much. Nevertheless, both cities are right up there at the top....but the back stories behind the statistics are like apples and oranges. One in every 29 households. wow.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a fixed rate mortgage when I bought my house. I thought it was silly to get something that could go higher over time. I suppose there are reasons to do that? Assuming you are going to be making more money later? I'm no expert. I knew I could afford what I got, and felt comfortable knowing it wouldn't change. What's the story, those in the know?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the for sale signs were gone on my street. A house that was bought by a "flipper" just got put on the market, and there are people looking at it. Signs for careful optimism.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1805
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What area Cam?

Cambrian

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hazel Park.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1806
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting.

Warning, this next comment is pure speculation:

Perhaps there really is a trend to move back to the inner ring burbs, at least where you and I live. You can get decent SF houses for a great price in a walkable neighborhood and nearby downtown centers.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You get a lot for your money where I live. My street is pretty nice. The one to the east of me has more for sale signs 'cause the homes are on a crawlspace. My street has more homes with basements, and it's north of 9, which people seem to like. I'm right by the race track. The house that's getting the looks is a renovated two bedroom with out garage, but with basement for 89k. same couple looked at it twice, the second time they brough the mother n law. A good sign.

(Message edited by cambrian on August 15, 2007)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed, the mother in law is a good sign. The second time I looked at my house, I brought pops. His endorsement sealed the deal.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 353
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's my train of thought too, John. I think of the region as one big, connected whole, and it seems like in difficult times like these, you get more resource for your dollar when you live in a vibrant, traditional neighborhood as opposed to a resource-depleting exurb.

As Oakland County is Detroit, I'd like to see it capitalize more on promoting its traditional communities as highly desirable places for everyone to live...particularly the wealthy who tend to purchase the McMansions in cow pastures 1, 2, and 3. Birmingham is a good example of the wealthy buying into the traditional style. And to be absolutely clear, I'm not saying I want to see all communities turn into a priced-out Birmingham, I'm just saying that Birmingham is proof that people with money and families can live in the traditional neighborhood, which in this region has more of an image of blue collar and middle class.

Demographic diversity is what makes a great community.

Anyway, I guess we still have a ways to go regarding the foreclosure rates, though.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Birmingham and Royal Oak's transformations come from a desire for places like that. They didn't exist, but people started to want them, developers recognized it, and capitalized. I keep saying it, I think people are looking back towards being near a nice urban center, but they aren't willing to move to Detroit. Well, some are, obviously, looking at all the developments there. But those that aren't are revisiting the Royal Oaks and Birminghams and even Plymouths and redeveloping.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, and I think that's good for the region and especially good for Oakland County. Populating that type of "land use" for lack of a better term, positions the region to think and act together in cooperation...at least better than having a situation with one end of the geography being of the traditional mindset and another extreme being of the exclusionist, exurban mindset.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 348
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump! meltdown city here we come!

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Detroitrulez, Meltdown City it is.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.