Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Mexican Rest. in Allen Park, early 70's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember a Mexican Rest. in Allen Park in the early 70's on Ecorse Rd between Pelham and Allen Rd? It was run by an old Mexican couple. Years after they were gone another Mexican Rest. opened up on the same site and moved across the st. Also, anyone been to the Madator Mexican Rest. on Van Born rd out by Telegraph?

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 519
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't recall that place.

My father liked to take our family of four hungry and growing boys to the Sveden House circa 1975. Is it still there? The all-you-can-eat deal satisfied our appetites at a reasonable price (Dad was a penny-pincher).

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Originally Sweden House was located on the northeast corner of 13 mile road and Harper. They tore that building down for the new CVS and Movie Mania, and I believe it is the new home of G Willies. Sweden House moved kitty corner to the southwest corner in the same shopping plaza as Kroger's until about a year and a half ago when the "smor-gas-bord", pun intended, kind of went by the wayside.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know of Manuel's Taco Hut on Ecorse Rd. Pretty good place.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was also a Sveden House in Allen Park. On Southfield Rd??

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmr:
Agreed, there indeed was a SH right there in AP on Southfield Road and that is the one I was referring to in my first post. My Father worked at one of the Ford offices there in AP, so he knew and frequented the area. I also recall that the AP police often set-up speed traps in that area during the 70's.

Little_buddy

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not Manuel's Taco Hut, even though they started out in the same little building that the other Mexican Rest. was at in the 70's. Used to have a bunch of school friends in the early 70's who worked at SH in Allen Park. Used to work at the Camelot Inn Rest. over on Southfield rd in Allen Park, where they did the fox trot nightly since 1963:-)

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sveden House in AP was located in the shopping strip between the ACO and what I believe is now the Oakwood Hospital Clinic at the north end of that plaza.

You are correct that the Mexican restraunt on Ecorse was not called Manuels originally, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the place!! I can still see it in my mind's eye, but the name escapes me totally, although Armando's seems to be what I remember mostly. It was a FAR sight better than Manuels, I can assure you!!

The Camelot, huh? I haven't heard it called that in years, when a guy named Cunningham (former mayor of AP) owned it!!! It is now owned by a graduate of MHS and is called Boomers!! It's the place I've been doing shots since 1978!!!

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Plymouth, it's good to hear from you again. I don't remember the Mexican restaurant there. About the best I remember was Mi Casa's in Southgate (near Subi's Place).

Boomers is still a hangout for some of the MHS alumni. They seem to have an annual reunion of sorts the Friday night after Thanksgiving since we all seem to come back into town to see relatives that weekend. I believe it's owned by someone from the class of '74.

From the early '70's, about the only ethnic restaurant I remember was China Boy in what is now downtown AP. Remember that place?

Little_buddy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Camelot Inn. Jim Cunningham and his buddy Gordy Bowdell I think sang a few songs every night. "Roll out the barrels", "If you knew Suzie, like I know Suzie, oh, oh, oh what a gal" type of stuff. Good food, being a busboy was great. Wonder whatever happened to them.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred-

What's happenin'? Nice to hear from you, too!
Tomorrow is the pre-night to the Class of 1977's 30th and I guess there is going to be one hell of a bash!!!! I think I might have even committed to a couple of folks that I'd make an appearance!

You are correct about the grad and the year, the guy grew up in my old neighborhood, Princeton Estates!!

China Boy, OMG, that place was the filthiest place on the planet. I remember seeing rats running around the alley when I was like 10 or 11!! I know that there were no cats in the hood, either!!

Too bad you weren't here so I could buy you a couple of soda's tomorrow night!!

The Mexican restaurant was right across the street from S & A Auto Clinic where all the hi-po boats used to be outside!

LB-

I think that Cunningham died sometime in the 80's-don't know about Gordy Bowdell. Any relation to Tom?

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth, I had quite a few friends from the Class of '77. Let me know if Norm Tracy shows up, I grew up one street away from him, and I'm trying to locate him. We were the best of friends while we were both living in AP. Last I heard he was in SoCal.

I'm sure you guys had a great time at the pre and reunions.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sveden Hole as we called it was at Southfield and Roosevelt by the old A&P, Kresge's, etc. I even worked there briefly when I was 15 (Lied to get in). That 3 weeks taught me I had no desire to work in the restaurant trade.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 147
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred-

What a bash!! I'm sorry to report, though, that I didn't run into Norm. I will, however, ask about his whereabouts with a few of the friends that I did run into. I saw people like Vera Dentamaro, Mark Casparian, Tony Tiberia, Debbie Patterson and slew of others from the hood. It was an awesome time!

The only one missing was you-I guess it will be next time!!

Res

Deals21
Username: Deals21

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there was El Chico's in that area.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.