Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old Detroit Photos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jeffdunncom
Username: Jeffdunncom

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this forum might like to see some of these old Detroit photos. These were from my great aunt's collection of glass-mounted slides. Most are from the early fifties. Enjoy.

http://www.jeffdunn.net/mabel/ Detroit/index.htm

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the morning boost! It's great to see "home" pics of Detroit, and the shots of Olde City Hall are great.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos! Wish you had more. Thanks for sharing.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 563
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Zoo "Tractor Train" photo?

Did this augment the train on tracks that's been at the Zoo almost since it opened. The present streamlined locomotives replaced earlier unstreamlined steamers (actually powered by an automobile engine)sometime in the 1940's.

Is the Zoo Train back operating now?

Bob Cosgrove

Jeffdunncom

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to assume that they did augment the locomotives.

Here is a short zoo train history link:

http://www.detroitzoo.org/dzs/ 2006/jul06/railroading.html

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful shots of old City Hall. What a shame that they tore it down, although I heard that structurally it was a mess.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, Yes, the zoo train is running, and in good health. Interesting that the "tractor" locomotive in Jeff's slide is made from Dodge truck body parts and custom fabricated sheet metal.
The Zoo train locos running now were built by Briggs mfg. (Walter O. Briggs was a big supporter of the zoo and the main organizer in the development of the Royal Oak zoo property in 1927-'28) and restored by Chrysler employees in the early 90's.
Someday it would be cool to restore the steam-style loco that is rusting near the front zoo station.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3948
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Shots of old City Hall!
Imagine if Louis Mirihani had held office for as long as Coleman Young; downtown would be filled with hideous boxy Stalinist Architecture!

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 706
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks for the great pics, and welcome to the forum! love the pics of old city hall especially.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gorgeous pics, pal! Granted, it was a special event, but did anyone notice how clean downtown was?

I wonder how many more of such photos are hidden in Aunt Mae`s hatbox up in someones attic somewhere. Come on, bloodhounds, we need proof that the D was, and once again can be a place to be proud of and IS worth the effort.

The old City Hall was awesome. What a shame that it had to go down.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 712
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really enjoyed the pics. Thank you

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pictures are amazing clear for such old slides! Thanks for sharing them.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet pix, Jeff. Didja post these on flickr.com?

Jeffdunncom

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: flickr.com - No....but good idea! I will do that when I get a chance.

These slides were all well protected under glass and in storage cases. All I had to do was remove the film from the glass, clean where needed and scan. I did some touch up in a photo editor, but not a lot.

There are some other family/neighborhood (Detroit) photos that might be of interest at:

http://www.jeffdunn.net/mabel/ Dunn/index.htm

I just LOVE this one:

http://www.jeffdunn.net/mabel/ Dunn/pages/ElsieMabelEdna_1953 _jpg.htm

Apparently, no one EVER smiled for their picture back when.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Jeff

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3452
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that style of fence in the background. I rarely see those anymore. I suppose if they weren't maintained they were probably replaced with cyclone fencing.

I love the backyard brick barbeque too. They were outlawed in my community; a few neighbors still have them but they've fallen into disrepair.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha...that reminds me. My grandmother who grew up in metro Detroit used to tell me (in the 80's when she was in her mid 70's) that you shouldn't smile in a photograph because it would look like you have a mouthful of teeth.

Geesh...

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing, they were great.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't see names like Elsie, Mabel and Edna around anymore either :-)

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The picture from Washington Blvd. It looks like a 1951 Packard between the Pedestrians

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the days before the current wave of modern dentistry, a lot of adults had rather bad looking teeth, possibly including any number of missing teeth. That is one reason why smiling wasn't expected as much in old pictures. My parents and grandparents didn't smile in pictures and they all had bad teeth, largely due to a lack of modern preventive dentistry.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another great thing about those old green wooden fence posts with the fence tacked on was all of the secret passages in yards. When we were five or six, we had sections of fence that we could pull back to cut through yards to get to our friend's backyard. We weren't allowed to go in the alley alone, or hang out in front alone, so this way we could go find someone to play with without breaking the rules.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.