Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bozo the clown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years ago, my grandpa was in the hospital (he was a chronically sick man, bad heart, pacemaker...), and shared his room with Bozo the Clown. I'm not sure what Bozo was in for. But my grandpa really stressed to us all what a great guy and great company Bozo was. I'm not sure which Bozo it was he met, I will have to ask my grandma and get back with the info. Here's the Detroit Bozos:

Jerry Booth (1959) WWJ-TV
Bob McNea (1959-1987) WWJ-TV
Art Cervi (1975-1980) WJBK-TV

I seem to remember some tale of a Bozo living somewhere on Haggerty Road, but the memory is very fuzzy. Anybody have any Detroit Bozo stories of their own to share?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2343
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was on the Big Top show with my cub scout troop in 1968 or so. Lots of fun

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update, it was Bob McNea.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 250
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the Bozo show broadcast from Chicago? Or were there two Bozo shows? (getting a lot done today) We had "Milky" the twin pines clown.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Oopsie the Clown was Bozo the Clown in disguise...

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 764
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge,
You've got your Bozo facts a little mixed up.
Bob McNea 1959 to 1967 WWJ
Jerry Booth 1967 CKLW (he did just a handful of shows)
Art Cervi 1967 to 1975 on CKLW, then 1975 to 1980 at WJBK.

In my humble opinion, Art Cervi was the best Bozo.

Over the years I've received dozens of emails frm people looking for copies of Bozo shows that they appeared on as kids. Sorry folks, they were destroyed years ago.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 765
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl,
Oopsy was Bozo's cousin.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 800
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard Art Cervi doing his car show on the radio a few years ago and there's no mistaking that voice. It took me back some 30 years.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo

I remember the "Twin Pines" clown. I could not remember it's name.

As a kid I thought it was a snowman.

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the "Twin Pines" clown was played by Crazy Joe Devola

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, the "original" Bozo was in LA. It was syndicated so outlets all over had their own versions.

I had only known the Chicago WGN version when I was young (the original Bozo there was from Flint) and that alone was enough to instill a lifelong fear of clowns.

Well, that and reading Stephen Kings' "It" in the 4th grade.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, thanks Ed. I got my info from Wikipedia. That should serve to show how accurate Wikipedia is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B ozo_the_Clown

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Courtney,

What is confusing is that Bozo here talked about the State fair grounds and the Shrine circus. Maybe they were spots?

So the question is again. Detroit had it's own Bozo taped here in Detroit? Harry Shearer that does the voice for Krusty the Clown which he modeled after Bozo, said he was from Chicago. And when they did a tribute to Bozo (randomly caught it on TV) it was in Chicago.

Kaptan, Milky was pretty lame from what I remember. He was really more of a host for a cartoon show. Can't remember anything he did.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstash, check out the wikipedia link. Although some of the dates may be incorrect, it does show that every major market had their own Bozo. Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Flint all had their own Bozos. Our forum has some of its own Bozos as well. Ha!

Ed_golick

Post Number: 766
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo,
Both Milkys, Clare Cummings and Karrell Fox, were master magicians. Remember the magic word, "Twin Pines?"
Bob McNea, Detroit's first Bozo, was a clown in the Shrine Circus years before he was Bozo.
There were dozens of local Bozos thruout the country, all controlled by Larry Harmon.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm amazed that no one has yet mentioned the City Council. :-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that Bozo was from CKLW. It hd to be there for more than just a few sows. They did however sell a lot of ad space to Buschemis and Stroh's Ice Cream.

I could never understand why my parents never got that pizza, since then I realized it was only on the east side.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 767
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner,
Jerry Booth only did a few Bozo shows at CKLW, but Art Cervi was there from 67 to 75.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Art Cervi was the best Bozo. When the Syndicate pulled the franchise, he became Oopsy. Couldn't show those cartoon anymore with Big Shorty and Short Biggy.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 768
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldestuff,
Bob McNea was Oopsy, not Art Cervi. Not quite sure what syndicate you are referring to, but Channel 4 decided to go with their own character rather than pay Larry Harmon a franchise fee for the Bozo character.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 648
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I remember watching Bozo before I even started kindergarten. Then my mom and I would watch the galloping gourmet .
lol then of course all the famous ones like the flying nun, f troop, get smart , hillbillies etc etc etc.

Thanx for the memories

the good rev

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Art Cervi is alive and well in Novi.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember watching Bozo every afternoon after school. Before that we watched "Poopdeck Paul".

Galloping gourmet? Every watch the "Galloping ghoulet"? Lots of cheese whiz.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed,

Are you a Shriner by any chance? If so, what temple did you belong to? Did you know Doodles the clown?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I am quite convinced that I can trust Ed G. on the timeline, the Bozo I watched was Bob McNea. This may make me sound as though I am too easily amused, but I thought it was really cool, the way he could put some kid's initials on a board (to salute kids' birthdays, I think) and then use them as a starting point for a picture he would draw. I guess the imaginative/creative aspect of it pleased me.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I feel really out of touch here.
I only remember "Milky" on the cartons of Twin Pines milk and like I said...I thought it was a Snowman. Not only did I not know it was a clown until I was a little older...I am learning here that this was an actual character played by someone.

The Kaptan is uncultured.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had forgot about the milky cartoons. So it goes both ways. Yes, Milky was a real character here on Detroit TV. I remember wanting to watch him, but cant remember much about it. I do remember the Twin Pines magic words. I think it was the set. He was dressed in white and it seemed like a white background and black and white TV. Not much contrast. Seems like all that sorta stood out was his face. Kinda weird.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to high school with Milky's daughter out in Birmingham. Her last name was Cummings and I think her dad's name was Claire (sp?).

(Message edited by sharms on August 14, 2007)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 769
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage,
Not a shriner.

Sstashmoo and Kaptansolo,
Here's some Milky info.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ Clare_Cummings.htm

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The overnight news from Vietnam and farm report with Kurt Knight ended the TV test pattern of the overnight hours. Then it was something (cartoons?), Captain Kangaroo, The Friendly Giant (on CBC). I briefly remember Milky the Clown... I remember the Twin Pines milkman we had better. Oopsy was on the weekends. The good, classic, cartoons were on Saturday morning. Oopsy and the lame claymation Davey & Goliath on Sundays. The Flintstones were just before dinner during the week.

Later if I was home sick from school, I remember I Love Lucy and Beverly Hillbilly reruns in the am, Rita Bell Prize Movie, and Bill Kennedy at the Movies in the afternoon.

It would be interesting to see a TV listing from that early era of TV.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Friendly Giant"

Ahhh, nobody EVER knows what I'm talking about when I mention the Friendly Giant. Glad somebody confirms I'm not crazy.

We'd wait out front, and the Friendly Giant would go 'round back and lower the drawbridge to let us in.

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge/ The Friendly Giant show started with his hand offering a rocking chair, "for somebody who likes to rock", a small chair,"for someone who likes to curl up in front of the fire", and then he would say "Look up......Waaay up"... and there he was. The show was a little odd but it was fun watching.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahaha yes D2! Wow, amazing. It was very odd. His buddy was a chicken in a sack hanging from the wall.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 523
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friendly Giant was a big hit for me as well.

Wiki has a write-up about Bob Homme with some links and even a video clip at the bottom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T he_Friendly_Giant

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 651
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RkE UNX45-V0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_WO Ed4p2rR0

could'nt find an original, but here ya go for some memories

the good rev

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni/ Johnlodge ........ Thank you very much. I hadn't thought about that show for decades, until now. I forgot about the castle. They had a terrific model builder for that show.

Jrvass

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cbc.ca/lifeandtimes /growingupcanadian.html

James

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wow, I forgot all about Fred Penner. This might be the best thread ever.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote "Ahhh, nobody EVER knows what I'm talking about when I mention the Friendly Giant."

(Deep voice) "Loook uup, wayyyy up"

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone ever know if Geraldo Rivera was on the Bozo show as a kid and swore at him, or is this so called urban legend

Ed_golick

Post Number: 772
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban Legend.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/results ?search_query=mr.+rogers+senat e&search=Search

Check out this very moving speech by Mr. Rogers in front of a Senate committee in 1969. This is one of my favorite YouTube clips. It is definitely worth the six minute investment of time to see.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 261
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""Bozo show as a kid and swore at him, or is this so called urban legend""

There was a kid that did. Or it was a widely circulated story with supposed witnesses. Never heard it was Geraldo. Supposedly the kid gave Bozo the finger. LOL Still funny after all these years.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You folks have GOT to get "TV Land - Detroit" by Gordon Castelnero (Amazon has it for $17)! It covers everything about Bozo, Milky, Bill Kenedy, Rita Bell, etc. Great Book!

Sister Solania took our fourth grade class to see Bozo in Windsor about 1968. I got picked to play some game and didn't win but was very nervous about being on live TV.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 773
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if you order Gordon's book thru this link
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ tv_land_detroit.htm
it helps to support my Detroit TV website.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 774
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evertbody knows someone who claims he saw a kid give Bozo the finger. I repeat, it never happened!
http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/ tv/bozo.asp

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, thats's right, Ed! I forgot that you're quoted several times in "TV Land"! Much better to support the local than amazon. Thanks.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Forget Bozo, Bozo's out. He's finished. It's over for Bozo."

I would watch that show when i was a real little kid but never really liked it. In case you dont know the quote at the start of my post is from seinfeld, "the Fire" episode, now theres a great show!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9850
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have vague memories of seeing Bozo in a studio in Windsor...and being very disappointed that it was in such a small room. Pretty funny, I had no idea what to expect.

I'm pretty sure my sister went up for something, but I didn't...she won a huge tootsie roll tube filled with bite-sized candies and when empty doubled as a coin bank.

As with all candy products in our home, I immediately ate it all so she could have a functioning bank. Always trying to be the useful brother.

Lefty2

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How dare anyone say anything bad about bozo.
That is just wrong.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 787
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kslice,
I got my eye on you.

bozo

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still remember the melody played on The Friendly Giant. The melody is from the song "Early One Morning". Me and my mother often hummed the melody during her last days before her passing.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5191
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Friendly Giant opening line was like this: "Look up... waaay up.... higher....".

Milky the Clown had some sort of competitions with the kids on his shows (can't remember a single one). But the winners got to grab 2 handfuls of pennies out of a fishbowl. The losers got to grab a single handful of pennies.

Back then before inflation took its' toll on the mighty cent... a handful of pennies got you a lot of great candy at the store!

Ed_golick

Post Number: 788
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milky's famed fishbowl was designed with a small opening so that a kid would scrape his knuckles on it, causing him to drop most of his fistful of pennies. True story.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3051
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! It's like a monkey trap!

Lefty2

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theme song From
BoZo
http://kidshow.dcmemories.com/ bozodance.mp3
Friendly Giant
http://www.kididdles.com/lyric s/f021.html
Mr Dressup
http://www.staffannouncer.com/ mrdressup/dressuptheme.WMA

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked with Art Cervi's brother for the last 14 years or so. If Art is anything like his brother, both would be extremely nice as well as dedicated to their craft.

Jrvass

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bO_ bhcAVQZo&mode=related&search=

OK. I found it on a related search to the Friendly Giant. Don Cherry in a tirade on "Hockey Night in Canada!"

Woo hoo!

James

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3062
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty2, I have to thank you for those audio files. I had forgotten them but recognized them the moment I heard them. Thanks! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.