Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Marathon asks for tax credit to expand Detroit refinery « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crains
Username: Crains

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The expansion would increase refinery capacity from about 100,000 barrels a day to 120,000 and would add about 60 full-time employees and 75 full-time contractors. The project could begin at the end of 2007 and be completed in the fourth quarter of 2010.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0813/SUB/708130364/0/TOC&Profi le=0

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jobs jobs jobs jobs jobs!

Hopefully they won't be planning on dumping excess waste into the river, or this plan could be stalled like the other recent refinery expansion.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 765
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hope this doesn't mean that they will dump more pollution into the Detroit River, we can NOT tolerate that. BP is "expanding" their Indiana refinery to process Canadian crude and they will be dumping a whole lot more pollution in Lake Michigan.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9807
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love driving by the refineries while hearing that Michigan tends to have the highest or near highest gas prices in the country.

Seems to make perfect sense if you ask me.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty soon that place will be smelling like New Jersey...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that refinery. It's quite the scene from the road. Industry that is actually OPERATING. Woah!

Jt1

Post Number: 9809
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a feeling that NJ has nothing on Delray when it comes to smell.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever been to Terra Haute?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a feeling that NJ has nothing on Delray when it comes to smell.

I dunno... Delray isn't stinking up the entire state of Michigan. Jersey smells like one big nuclear accident.

Jt1

Post Number: 9811
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I dunno... Delray isn't stinking up the entire state of Michigan. Jersey smells like one big nuclear accident.

I've never been to Jersey but I find that hard to believe. My guess is this is a large exaggeration that keeps getting repeated. IMagine how pissy some people here would be if people constantly stated how all of Detroit smells horrible.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Smelling is believing.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I can think of that might be worse in Detroit is the area around the Thorn Apple Valley factory on the east side.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to NJ. The people there are very much like Detroiters--very eager to rid themselves of false images and stereotypes. Very little of NJ looks like the open credits to The Sopranos, and very little of Jersey smells like crap. It's only snooty New Yorkers who never go past Paramus or the Meadowlands that perpetuate these myths. Parts of Sussex Co. are particularly beautiful.

Now the PEOPLE of Jersey on the other hand...there's no getting around that...lol

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the Thorn Apple Valley plant has operated in a number of years........

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 867
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some background: Marathon is in the process of buying Western Oil Sands, Inc. for $6.5 billion (Can.) and the assumption of $700,000,000 (Can.) in debt.

Western own 20% of the Athabasca Oil Sands Project (w/ Shell and Chevron)located in the hot Ft. McMurray area of Alberta.

Marathon is acquiring an interest in 300,000 acres, 200,000 of which is being mined for oil and 100,000 acres of which will be produced by in-situ combustion.

The company is also considering expending its other refineries in LA, IL, MN as it is in Detroit to handle the heavy sour Canadian crude. Marathon claims "it can process an incremental 80,000 bbls per day of heavy sour crude at Detroit for less than half of the capital investment needed to build new upgrading capacity in Alberta." Reason enough, I'd say.

Johnlodge: The BP expansion is going ahead as planned despite initial opposition because BP has complied w/ all Indiana and Federal dumping restrictions and has acquired all permits necessary.

Iheartthed: That's the smell of money.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 393
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want smell, drive I-90 (the Chicago Skyway) right through downtown Gary Indiana. That place makes Detroit look like Paris (once again). Actually, the whole of Gary, Hammond, East Chicago is a dump.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 868
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I learned to love the smell when I lived in Hammond and East Chicago years ago. Cities where the sun never shines, especially when the steel mills and the refineries are going full blast. You can't get away from the odors so one might just as well sit back and enjoy them.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3570
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All these large, industrial districts remind me of the "valley of ashes" outside NYC, as described in the Great Gatsby.

The Rouge delta area is an enormous, smelly pit of mass production, but not as big as Gary/East Chicago and some areas in Jersey (which has a beautiful landscape away from their seaports) and south Philly.

So what type of pollution is going in the Great Lakes? You'd think that by 2007 they'd have eradicated the need to dump pollution.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2919
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So what type of pollution is going in the Great Lakes?

If we're on the same page, apparently it was ammonia and sludge: Durbin Opposes Permit That Will Allow Indiana Refinery to Pollute Lake Michigan from BP’s Whiting refinery in Indiana.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's only snooty New Yorkers who never go past Paramus or the Meadowlands that perpetuate these myths.

Well, to be fair, Manhattan stinks too! Just not the same type of stink as North Jersey...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3574
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link, Jimaz.

Clearly, they are producing massive, copious amounts of these products, but from what I know, they are not entirely unwanted, and polluting the lake would be stupid. Ammonia has uses, and so does sludge, i.e. you can use it to fertilize your lawn and garden (or maybe I'm thinking of sewer sludge here).

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2923
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what they meant by sludge but I think ammonia has a lot of uses from fertilizer to explosives. I'd imagine Indiana could use some more fertilizer. Maybe an expert can add some, heh, fertilizer to this discussion.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 989
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Expand, add jobs, reduce our cost of gas...bring it on!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Michigan has fairly decent environmental legislation. If the refinery expansion meets those regulations, and supplies new jobs, I am satisfied.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.