Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bloomfield Park Development « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am trying to find a web site for the developers in charge of the Bloomfield Park development along the east side of Telegraph north of Square Lake but have been unable to.

This mixed-use development was first announced back around 2000 and has been held-up with problems getting easements from Bloomfield Twp and Pontiac as well as finance and foreclosure problems (for the past few years with this property).

Driving home from work on Friday (and to work this morning), I see that they have cleared out all the brush, have a lot of the area staked out, and have the model office open once again. It looks like this loooooooong delayed project may actually be about to break ground very soon.

I will try to find some more information about what the project is actually supposed to contain, (I believe there are supposed to be condos, apartments, retail, office space, and a movie theatre) and post it up. But until then...

Does anybody have any thoughts and/or information about this development?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots -- the project is being bid out in phases by IMC out of Pennsylvania. site work and offsite utilities have been contracted, don't recall to whom. It looks to be phased over at least a year and a half

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This project makes no sense. It's on the industrial fringe of Pontiac, sits on the ugliest stretch of Telegraph, is surrounded by crap, is 100% unwalkable, and yet seeks to draw an upscale, urbane demographic. Why would someone buy here, instead of in Birmingham, Royal Oak or downtown, especially in the awful current market?

Similarly, the proposed retail makes no sense. Summit Place, just to the north, sits virtually abandoned, while Bloomfield Plaza, just to the south, has constant turnover/vacancies. There's already TOO MUCH RETAIL along this stretch. Except for the Costco to the south, the upscale Bloomfield/Bham crowd does NOT shop this area.

If the bush-league developer had any sense, he would develop warehouses and other commercial/shipping uses for this very industial stretch. Residential will never work, and retail would be very iffy. Big box discount retail might work, but only if it were unique to the area.

Does this developer actually have financing? What bank would lend money to build luxury residences in an industrial area of Pontiac, especially in the worst real estate market in my lifetime?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.