Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Hobby Shops: A dying breed. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lately I've been spending some of my spare evening time putting models together. I hadn't done it in quite awhile, but I really do enjoy it. I built a P-51D Mustang, it came out pretty well. I ended up buying it at Michael's because there just aren't any hobby stores around anymore. The only one I really know of is out in Farmington, Joe's Hobbies, which is a great store. But kind of far from Ferndale. I see there is a "Whistle Stop" Hobbies in St. Clair that I may have to check out, it says they are open Sunday so maybe I will go.

Anybody know of any other Hobby shops around with a decent selection of plastic models? Willing to drive if it's worth it.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link:

http://www.whistle-stop.com/

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whistle Stop in SCS is a good bet. I have been a customer there for 35 years. Pretty fair selection of airplane, car and train models. Also Lego.
I remember when there was a very nice hobby shop on the East side of Woodward, South of 9 Mile right in Ferndale, but I am afraid that store is long gone.
Former hobby shops in metro Detroit would make for an interesting thread. There are still a few around in Macomb County.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is Carleton Hobbies on Cooley Lk. Road in Waterford, but again, that's quite a drive for me. But if anyone lives out that way, check it out. They have a decent selection, especially for anybody into RC Planes.

Think I'll definitely check out Whistle Stop tomorrow. I need a German fighter for my Mustang to shoot down.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 309
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whistle Stop is a good hobby store although I haven't been there in years. Two others I can think of are:

Prop Shop Hobbies in Warren

http://www.prop-shop.com/

P & D Hobby Shop in Fraser

http://www.pdhobbyshop.com/hom e.php

You are right though, hobby shops are a thing of the past. Even K-Mart used to have a Hobby counter.

Good luck!

Rock - I think you are thinking of Models Hobby Shop. They had a train crossing guard out front. That store was awesome. I didn't realize it was no longer there.

Ookpik

(Message edited by ookpik on August 11, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2882
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a surprisingly large (15,000 sq. ft.) hobby store just north of Utica.

http://www.greatlakeshobby.com /

Great Lakes Hobby & Train
46660 Van Dyke Avenue
Shelby Township, MI 48317
(586) 323-1300

(Message edited by Jimaz on August 11, 2007)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a minute, the hobby shop that was in Ferndale is now a book store, isn't it. That explains why a bookstore has a giant Railroad Crossing sign.

Ahh, it all makes sense now.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 757
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 1960s I bought all of my Ed "Big Daddy" Roth kits and Weird-Ohs at Joe's Hobby Shop at Van Dyke and 9 mile. Theut's Toy Village a couple of blocks north of Joe's had a good selection too. Video game stores have replaced hobby shops.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't remember the name, but there is a hobby store on John R just south of 12 mile.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 901
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge....
....That's Bob Bieder's long lost Models Hobbies where the big crossbuck is. I'm assuming Downtown Train and Camera no longer is.....

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Can't remember the name, but there is a hobby store on John R just south of 12 mile.

There was; Riders closed that location a few months ago.

I'll have to dig up some of my old model railroading mags from the 50s +; there are ads for hobby shops in the back of them, dozens in Detroit.

The best and closest locations to Ferndale for model airplane kits will be the Prop Shop and P&D.

The_rock

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right- Models Hobby Shop, with its distinctive train crossing guard at the front door!!
Detroit used to have Hobby- Lobby at different locations, but the old- time train shop for Detroiters was Downtown Train and Hobby. It used to be on W. Elizabeth, West of Clifford ( the building is still there), and which ended its life in the lobby of the Kales building. They had Lionel and American Flyer trains as well as a repair shop.
On-site repair shops are a thing of the past. Now you mail'em to wherever you can find a repair shop.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2420
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker: Did Rider's close their John R near 14 Mile Rd. location? There is (or was) one in the shopping center with the Target store across from Best Buy. The Rider's website is still up with a Madison Heights store...
http://www.riders.com/store.as p?id=MDHT

Johnlodge: That bookstore is John King North! And thanks, Ookpik, for the explanation on the railroad crossing sign there.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 902
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock....
.....Models used to be across Woodward about a block north, in the building next to the Oak gas station before it moved into its final location.

I'm trying to remember the name of the hobby store at about 7 Mile and Livernois. And, while I'm at it, I know by definition it's not really a hobby store, but what was the name of the camera shop at 6 Mile and Woodward, northeast corner.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My uncle went to the hobby shop near Oakland Mall and I believe he noted that it had closed when we passed through there a few weeks back. I can't remember for the life of me if the one at Telegraph & M59 is still open, but if I had to guess I would say it is not.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 463
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not really into this stuff, but I went to this place in Warren to get some fiberglass cloth for my Dad. He was building an RC boat. It is on VanDyke just north of 9 Mile on the east side of the road. Not far from Ferndale! Very cool place.
http://www.prop-shop.com/

Sorry, didn't see the earlier post mentioning this place.

(Message edited by wash_man on August 11, 2007)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, all. I'll check out Whistle Stop tomorrow, since Prop Shop is closed on Sundays. I'm surprised hobby stores can't keep in business. Considering the void I seem to be in, I would think one could do well in Ferndale now. I guess the kids just aren't into doing something that doesn't involve a TV and a joystick.

(Message edited by johnlodge on August 11, 2007)

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 206
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is one on M-59 just west of Telegraph in Waterford, as referenced by Dustin above. http://www.rchobbies.org/

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 508
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whistle stop is great. I used to go there at least monthly when i was a kid. bought legos, models, lionel trains, slot cars, wood projects, and even POGS! (remember those?) there! Though i've not been back since I was about 16, (i'm 24 now) I have very fond memories. It seems to have gotten steadily better just judging from what is advertised on the outside. I will have to go back there and take a walk down memory lane. check it out! it is sweet.

The_rock

Post Number: 1896
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not positive, but I think the former camera shop on the NE corner of 6 Mile and Woodward was one of those Hobby Lobby outlets. May be wrong, and would love to be corrected.

I am disappointed to hear that Riders in Madison Heights has shut its doors. I know that their outlet in Kalamazoo has been closed for at least two years.

If anyone is into model trains, the best time to visit Whistle Stop is on a Monday when Bob is behind the counter. He is a very knowledgeable train man, has a lovely Garden train display set up in his back yard and will be featured in a forthcoming issue of Signature magazine this Fall.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 562
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P & D Hobby on Groesbeck in Warren and Wild Bill's Trains on Groesbeck just south of Metro Parkway are two other hobby shops, although Wild Bill's is primarily trains.

Bob Cosgrove

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lodge:

There's a nice hobby shop in Livonia at 5 Mile and Merriman, in the plaza where the big Krogers is at.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge-

There are not too many hobby shops that I know of on the eastside. I do know of a few around the westside. They are as follows:

1.) Rider's in Canton and the 5 and Merriman location. Both DO NOT cater to plastic modelers as they are RC and telescopes/astronomy/science stuff.

2.) Nankin Hobby in Westland on Ford Rd. 2 blocks east of Wayne is by far the biggest in my area. They have literally a ton of plastic models in every area (boats, military, figures, planes, balsa wood, etc.). They also cater to the train crowd. I buy a LOT of stuff there.

3.) Imperial Hobbies on Ford Rd. in Garden City (about 1 mile east of Nankin). They are a REAL hobby shop, the kind I remember as a kid! They have all of the above models +!! You could do both Nankin and Imperial at one time in one day and both are open Sat and Sun.

4.) Joes has already been mentioned in Farmington.

5.) Merri-Seven Trains and hobbies. I get my slot car stuff here, good selection of models, too!

6.) Michigan Discount Models, 36623 Seven Mile, Livonia.
Don't know much about this one cause I haven't been there (248) 473-8506.

7.) RIW Hobbies, 29116 Five Mile in Livonia (This may be the Ryders previously mentioned?).

8.) West Point Hobbies, 25531 W. 7 mile, Redford btwn Grand River and Beech Daly. Don't know much about this one, as I use mostly Imperial and Nankin. Have not been there.

9.) There is always the option of Flint (dean's Hobbies) and Tecumseh on main street (M-50)has the old, wood-floors-that-creak, type of hobby shop that I remeber them being like when I was a kid. It is, by far, the most awesome one I've ever been to!! Nice ride, too. No Sunday hours, though.

There are quite a few on-line sources that are excellent as well. Try Squadron for one.

Good luck. Let me know here what you find!!!

Res

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11656
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is one downriver somewhere, as they advertise before movies at the Theatre down in Southgate.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the old Squadron Shop in Madison Heights?

Plymouthres

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport-

In Wyandotte. It is mostly RC. Kids don't build plastic anymore unless it goes 100+ scale speeds!!

Unclefrank-

I remember it well. It has also gone the way of the dinosaur......just like Star Hobby.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The absolute last word in hobby shops anywhere in Metropolitan Detroit is without question Nankin Hardware and Hobby on Ford Rd. at Wayne in Westland.

They serve all interests, carry an enormous inventory, and have the most knowledgeable staff around; real pros.

This store has been a family-owned, Westside bastion for over sixty years.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joes Hobby on Mack and Devonshire, 3 d`s on Mack in GP, They were great shops years ago

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11657
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In Wyandotte. It is mostly RC. Kids don't build plastic anymore unless it goes 100+ scale speeds!!

Well, my RC car I had went 55-60 mph REAL speed across grass. That was pretty much my last hoorah with RC cars, ending it with the 1/8 scale ones with a .21 nitro engine that cranked out something like 52,000 rpms.

I grew up on legos and linkin' logs, then started building plastic models, mostly planes back then. Then came RC cars, of which I owned probably 6 or 7 of, 3 of which I had about $1,000 each wrapped up in. After that, it was on to full size 1:1 cars. Funny though, as after I started wrenching on full size cars I found myself almost full circle, back to building plastic models. Though it's been awhile, I have 5 or 6 sitting up on my shelves built over the past 7-10 years. My next one will be a 1970 Challenger R/T.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm into 1:25 model cars and trucks. Most of my kits come from swap meets, eBay, or garage sales. I quit buying the new ones when the companies sent the manufacturing to China. All though I did relent once when Revell came out with that beautiful Scaglietti Ferrari 612. Prop shop hobbies is good, Auto Zone on woodward has some nice kits and automotive ephemera too.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport-

I have about 300 or so models that I built from the age of six or to now. I just finished a P-61 Black Widow, appropriately called Audrey, which was stationed in France during WWII. Funny how much history you learn when you build these things ACCURATELY (read: Historically correct!).

Most of my models are armor or planes, although I built a model of my former bosses 1970 Ford Torino GT last year. I bout about $30 in photo etch parts and custom re-built the front suspension and exhaust system, in addition to the wiring of the engine bay! I thought the dude was going to cry, as he said it was the most accurate model he had ever seen. It was so-so in my opinion.

I did the 1:1 thing too, (1973 Mach 1, 1969 Shelby Cobra Hertz edition, 1964 1/2 Mustang, 1970 Challenger, 1978 Bronco, 1994 Bronco, etc.) but I can do a model cheaper and faster so I just decided to stay in that mode!

Today's models are not what they were when I was a kid in the early sixties, that's for sure. I remember trying to explain to my wife why I just had to pay $116 for a U-boat model that I bought a couple of years ago. When completed, she understood!

Cheers,

Res

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a few models I built for an advertising agency to use for a Chrysler booth at Daytona, winter of '05

Daytona

model 2

Dodge model3

(Message edited by 56packman on August 12, 2007)

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1872
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a list of defunct hobby/train shops from the Detroit-Metro area that I found by looking in the back of old hobby magazines. The date is the year I found the ad from. This is not a definitive list, only of ones that placed ads.

Downtown Train & Camera122 W ElizabethDetroit1948
Hobby Exchange3248 FenkellDetroit1948
Tom's Model Hobby Shop2457 Woodward (Donovan Bldg)Detroit1948
Baker & Baker11503 ChalmersDetroit1948
Dunn's Hobby Arcade738 S WashingtonRoyal Oak1948
Star Hobbies22005 W Outer DrDearborn1960
Northwest Hobby18940 W Seven Mile RdDetroit1960
Model's Hobby Center22524 WoodwardFerndale1960
Lou's Hobby Shop29920 Ford RdGarden City1960
Hobby Shop, Inc19924 LivernoisDetroit1963
Harb's Hobby1026 MonroeDearborn1974
Joe's Hobby Center7845 WyomingDearborn1974
Train Clinic13950 HubbellDetroit1974
Lopo's Camera & Train Shop11553 WhittierDetroit1974
Joe's Hobby Center17900 E Ten Mile RdEast Detroit1974
Craft Corner15043 E Nine Mile RdEast Detroit1974
Anchor Boat Co31580 GrosbeckFraser1977
Squadron Shop32500 John R Hazel Park1977
Northwest Hobby Center22126 CoolidgeOak Park1977
Train Center of Birmingham1880 S WoodwardBirmingham1985
Hobby Attic207 W 4th StRoyal Oak1985
Del's Train Center23123 LahserSouthfield1985
Rider's Hobby Shop32115 John RMadison Heights1990
Model Depot Hobbies1210 CatalpaRoyal Oak1990

Kathleen, Rider's closed their John R store in February of this year. Their web site lies!

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on August 12, 2007)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 799
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There use to be a pretty good sized hobby shop south of 12 mile on John R, but that's going back maybe 8 years. I believe a chiropractor now operates out of that building.

Ookpik

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe's Hobby Center on 10 Mile in East Detroit became a baseball card store and is now a place that sells exercise equipment. The store next door was a Schwinn bicycle shop. That shop is now a bookstore.

Anyone remember Telestar hobbies? I think it was on 10 Mile near I-94. A little old couple ran the place and their stock was from the 1960's and this was in the early/mid 1970's. Also, did Theut's Toy Village become J-Kay Sales? J-Kay sales was another place that had ancient stock.

Ookpik

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know its not exactly detroit area, but there is a hobby shop on Chicago Blvd. in Dowtown Tecumseh. Dunno the name of the place tho, but it looks to be fairly large.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this talk about hobby stores makes me want to find Estes Model Rockets online...

Launch a few "Scud" missiles at some asswipe late-night partiers on the lake!

:-)

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Joe's Hobby Center on 10 Mile in East Detroit became a baseball card store and is now a place that sells exercise equipment"

I lived at that baseball card store in the late 1980s. Those are another dying breed - they used to be everywhere at one time.

I believe that there was a Towne Club in that area of 10 mile as well.

Ookpik

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Max - In the beginning, the bookstore had a baseball card section as well. I'm not sure if it was the same people that moved from the bookstore to the card shop. The card store closed about 3 years ago.

I think Towne Club was at 10 mile and Ryan. If I'm not mistaken, that was the main bottling plant.

Ookpik

(Message edited by ookpik on August 12, 2007)

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is one on 7mile in Redford (west of Grand River), and Riders (may have more than one location) in Canton (Ford East of Sheldon I think, next to a Chucky Cheese).

Jimaz

Post Number: 2887
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.estesrockets.com/ -- remember no warheads! :-)

56packman

Post Number: 1614
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hobby shop on 7 mile west of Telegraph is West Point Hobby, a good store

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56Packman, nice model! The engine detail is fantastic.

I ended up going to Whistle Stop in St. Clair Shores yesterday. VERY NICE. The place is a playground. Picked up a model, some paints, etc. I highly recommend it to anybody looking for just about any hobby you can think of.

Estes Rockets! My dad, uncle, cousins and I would have a blast with those rockets. We'd always bring them up North with us on our camping trips and do some launching. My uncle and dad stopped buying the kits altogether, and made their own out of various packing tubes and balsa. Came up with some pretty crazy stuff. I may have to pick me up a couple. The smell of a fired Estes rocket engine would really take me back.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had lots of fun with those rockets at Camp Willow Way. We'd try all kinds of different stuff. I glued the nose onto the tube of one hoping it would explode in the air, instead it shot the engine out the back and the rocket returned to our planet as a 130 mph projectile almost impaling a counselor, not good.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 161
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Meijer has a small selection of models. Toys R Us has some too.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1687
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried Meijer, "small" is the keyword. A lot of snap together crap, hardly any paint. As box store chains go, Michaels crafts is much better these days. They've got some decent kits and supplies.

Toys R Us basically had nothing. They had 2 Estes model kits, but they were pre-assembled, and they had 2 snap together motorcycle models, no paints or other supplies at all.

Grosseile
Username: Grosseile

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker
I remember Downtown Train & Camera on W. Elizabeth; I bought model railroad gear from them as a kid in the mid-50s. It was in the basement of a building that looked like a house, but had a store on the first floor. They had everything. I had an American Flyer train set, but they also carried Lionel and some of the first HO trains. The also had an large selection of car and airplane models, and very high quality cameras - Leicas and very early Nikons - (my Dad was the photographer). The men who ran the store really knew their stuff. I hadn't thought about that place in years, I'm certain is is long out of business and bulldozed into a parking lot.

56packman

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grossisle--the building still stands, and there is still a sign on it.
Hornwrecker's list mentions the train clinic on Hubbell. The late Jim Huff ran that shop for years, and was the friend of many Lionel train owners. He worked at Madison Hardware when Dick Kughn moved that one-of-a-kind collection of parts from lower Manhattan to 1915 Fort st. here in Detroit.

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 1960's I haunted the Joe's Hobby Shops on Wyoming and Ten Mile, and Downtown Train and Camera, in pursuit of HO model trains. Models Hobby Center on Woodward was an exotic place then, but it was difficult to persuade the parents to drive all the way down Groesbeck and 8 Mile to take me there. I recall it as being stuffed full of what must have been very valuable 1920's antique toy trains, hidden in hundreds of pigeonhole-like shelves, with a coal-burning steam model of a British locomotive in the front window.

The store went downhill before vanishing. For a long time it had a selection of obscure modeling magazines from around the world. But around 1980 I returned there and discovered the big magazine rack was full of hundreds of copies of "The Railroad Evangelist." The exotic foreign and antique toys were gone, replaced by prosaic goods at high prices. This experience made me hesitant about dealing in any establishment where the proprietor's religion is on overt display.

It's nice to see this building in use as a branch of John King Books.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This John King Books must be quite the place. I should walk over there sometime, I've never been inside.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After being at NMRA a few weeks ago has anyone noticed a drastic upturn in prices over the last 10 years? I mean a $5 + price increase on model cars and train stuff.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5083
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of modeling and LEGO... Here's my newly completed LEGO town made mostly with parts and accessories from the 1960's. Back from 1955-56 LEGO created the TOWN PLAN where all the cast cars and trucks and accessories were in the HO scale.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, people in your town are complaining about parking options.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman... Did you know Don Watkins? He did the move of the Madison Hardware inventory for Dick Kughn. Don was the best man at my parent's wedding and his wife Sue still lives in Plymouth. Don died of Alzheimers complications several years ago. My brother got a lot of "cherry" Lionel Trains and train cars from "Uncle Don". For money, of course. Madison had an unbelievable inventory!

To Johnlodge... John King Books is an excellent source of Detroit history. You can search them online, call them up, and they will search their stacks while you wait on hold. I found an old book ("Old Detroit" [something like that], it was a photograph book from the turn of the century) that my Dad (81) remembered that his Great-Aunt Lizzie (born 1863 in Detroit) gave him as a boy, but he lost.

John King in Ferndale called the warehouse on Fort St., they searched the stacks and found a "poor" copy (so they said). I asked them to hold it for me so I could give it to Dad for Christmas. I told my sister and she had found the "lost" book in a trunk our parents had given her 20+ years ago.

Their service is first rate! I know schoolteachers who shop their religiously.

James

PS. Jimaz... If I got the kind of rocket motors that explode gas "upward" to eject the parachute, but instead fill that area with blackpowder and glue in the nose cone, is that considered a warhead against drunk boaters/jet-skiers at night?

Jimaz

Post Number: 2918
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh. I'll just say that those ejection charges will reliably ignite a fuse.

56packman

Post Number: 1621
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass--yes, I knew Don well. He was a dear friend and drinking buddy. I still see Sue from time to time. I believe that Don suffered from Parkinson's, not alzheimer's

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.