Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Who should run for Detroit mayor in 2009? « Previous Next »
Archive through August 11, 2007Dds30 08-11-07  4:06 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barack Obama anyone?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.c om/html/nationworld/2003831626 _obama11.html

Obama's "blackness" still an issue

quote:

Yet national polls show he trails Clinton among black voters.

There have been rumblings that black voters may question whether he has shared their experiences, having grown up in Hawaii and attended top colleges.

Obama attributed his dilemma to the mixed feelings of a group long on the outside that senses its political fortunes might be turning.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon Susanarosa, that's the Seattle Times! From discussions on this forum, you should know that people from Seattle hate Detroit. Why would anyone on this forum take anything seriously from Seattle?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ME! in like a long time from now, maybe, one day. lol

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame fo Eva!

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 886
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What else would Kilpatrick do if he didn't run? I think he is waiting for his mother's congressional seat. Until then, he's our mayor.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, isn't about time for Motorcitymayor_2024 to announce his candidacy?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2595
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No businessman on the scale of Penske or Bing would run for mayor. They can accomplish much more as they are now without being tied down by the politics of an officeholder.

What about Warren Evans? And no one has mentioned Hansen Clarke (again).

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my thoughts:

Benny Napoleon couldn't win anything. Totally shot his load and came up short. Don't think he will run. NO

Hendrix did loose stunningly but has ego enough to run. YES

Ken Cockrel has the name but not so much smarts, but more importantly ego to run. YES

Coleman Young Junior will run because people will tell him he can win on name recognition. YES

Hansen Clark will run because he's a pisher. YES

Kwame Kilpatrick will run because he won't take his mothers seat. YES.

Who will win primary? Kilpatrick and Cockrel
Who will be the most annoying? Hansen Clark
Who will bow out early from lack of fundraising? Hendrix
Who will go down in flames in a final? Ken Cockrel
Who will win final? Kilpatrick

There...let's not talk about it again until after the election.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 559
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dabirch, thats the election of 2025 :-)

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hansen Clark will run because he's a pisher.

What's a pisher? Is that codespeak?

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lordy jesus...if Kwame runs again...

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Inspector Todd?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Dds

Are you serious? Do you think Brenda Lawrence has a chance in hell of winning the Oakland County exec race?

ETA: I find it really annoying and hypocritcal that some asshole would come on here and spout off that black people vote based on race when this country hasn't had a non-white president or vice-president in over 200 years... yet two examples of the contrary were pointed out to refute your claim. Detroit is a lot more black than America is white, but the city doesn't have nearly as hard of a time electing white officials as America does non-white officials.

(Message edited by iheartthed on August 21, 2007)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the difference is, if a white guy runs - everyone knows he's white. He can't be labeled an "Uncle Tom" because, well, it's obvious what he is. The voters know what they're getting in their minds.

I may be wrong, but what I've observed is that to a good amount of black voters, they'd rather vote for a white guy than a black guy they perceive for whatever reason as a sellout or "too white."

With my limited experience, my thoughts would be - as a volunteer I worked with on a couple operations used to say - "whatever you is, be what you is, and you be fine in this town." I think there is no better statement. Kwame clearly tapped into that sentiment.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately Inspector Todd still has no chance.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheart... J. Jackson was a serious contender for the Democratic party's nomination in '88, and not solely upon the strength of the black vote. When I was at WSU (political science) there was a cadre of white liberals who years after the fact were still high-fiving one another about how close they came to delivering Michigan to him in the primary and moaning about how black voters stood them up.

Of course race matters, but do you believe that white Dems, liberals and disillusioned independents will sit out the election in '08 if Obama is the man and the Republicans run anyone other than Jesus Christ?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course race matters, but do you believe that white Dems, liberals and disillusioned independents will sit out the election in '08 if Obama is the man and the Republicans run anyone other than Jesus Christ?

My point wasn't that white people won't vote for black candidates. I know full well that some do.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...got it.

I agree, to a point, re: voting habits of Detroiters. The guy currently representing my old House district is the son of the previous Rep: a carpet-bagger from Lansing. I don't believe that he could find Lasher (but could find Lahser on a map). No accounting for taste, sometimes.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno...my feeling is that if white people in general honestly felt that a black candidate for public office would do a better job, they'd have no reservations about voting for them, whereas it seems black people tend to vote for black candidates primarily in order to balance out what they view as a racial imbalance among elected officials...it seems the question of who would do a better job sometimes takes a back seat to the question of whether a particular candidate is "black enough"

And if that's what people want to do with their vote, then that's their choice, but perhaps focusing on which candidate will provide you with the best city services instead of rewarding a candidate for their "blackness" might yield better results for constituents...

And before one of you clowns pounces on me with some BS interpretation of what I just typed (this means you, IHD), I'm NOT saying this course of action would result in white candidates being elected instead of black candidates...I'm saying it would result in better candidates being elected.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9856
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I dunno...my feeling is that if white people in general honestly felt that a black candidate for public office would do a better job, they'd have no reservations about voting for them, whereas it seems black people tend to vote for black candidates primarily in order to balance out what they view as a racial imbalance among elected officials...it seems the question of who would do a better job sometimes takes a back seat to the question of whether a particular candidate is "black enough"

Wow, that is one hell of an assumption. How many black voters do you know? How many black people do you discuss politics with?

The issue here is how things in SE Michigan are represented and how perceptions are formed.

Seems your opinions are a pretty solid product of media perception. I could be wrong but I have had many political conversations with black and white alike and contrary to what you seem to think the vast majority of both vote for what they think will be the best candidate to represent their needs/wants.

Just goes to show how backwards SE Michigan is when it seems to be 'common knowledge' that blacks vote on color and whites vote in issue.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Seems your opinions are a pretty solid product of media perception."

This is a fair assumption. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9857
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One issue I do have with Detroit elections are CC being eleceted at large. I don;t know if others try to research the candidates as much as I do but I recall 44 people or so originally running for CC.

How can someone with a career and a life really research that many candidates. Add in the other positions and it is overkill. Make it a ward system to hold CC accountable and it will also give the electorate a reasonable pool to research.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I will only be 18, I might run for city council in 2009.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6374
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican quote "Remember the Red Navigator?
Remember the huge number of bodyguards?
Remember the cronyism? "

Yes we remember what OLE KING HIP HOP KILLpatrick did to exploit our great city of Detroit. But his black slate supporters forgave him while Hendrix slept claiming that he would be mayor of Detroit by tomorrow morning.

Hendrix may come back to campaign, but this time HE'LL BE READY!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scary for Mayor?

Or maybe Engler? Oh! Thats SCARY!

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of my friends and neighbors are quite happy with where Mayor Kilpatrick is going, which includes the ones that did not vote for him. I don't see any other contenders willing to take it on and I don't think there is anyone else I would vote for at this time. I am more concerned about the presidential election and getting the guy and his party out of the White House that is RUINING this country.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's start a campaign to get Penske to buy one of those many foreclosed homes in the city, just for the address. Move a few lawn chairs in there and it's his "residence," right?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not start a campaign to get Penske to actually live in the city? There are plenty of places he could afford to live.

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don Barden, give me a break. He has several outstanding pledges with a number of Institutions in the city, who could use the money. I know of one Cultural Institution who lost out on two hundred thousand. I would not want someone like him as mayor. He has not done much for the city. And does not keep his promises.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Nice user name you have there PG313.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3988
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Most of my friends and neighbors are quite happy with where Mayor Kilpatrick is going."

Well, Manuel Maroun is certainly happy with where Kwame is going!

I'd vote for Histeric.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 400
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though the Detroit voters will not support them, how about some diversity in the primary, such as a Latino or White guy/gal. If the candidates do well and are able to appeal to the voters by articulating the issues and what they can do (in contrast to the current rough gallery), that will create a more inviting environment for non-black officials in future elections (Sort of what 3rd party candidates hope to do in local/state and federal elections).

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since, by natural law, anyone who runs for the Detroit Mayorship has to be totally inept and self involved, so why not elect Monica Conyers so we can see more buildings, bridges, parks, and monuments named after her "esteemed" husband, the venerable John Conyers? oh and we'll get to hear more protests from this old bagel http://www.logusz.com/~yupisly r/4/waterbagel.mp3

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Jjaba! On the Bagel Ballot, oy!

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maggs

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at an event this weekend where I heard Ken Cockrel is going to run for mayor, also that Charles Pugh is considering a run for city council. FYI both men were present.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) I don't think detroit will never elect a white person as mayor in the next thirty years, minimum.
2) I didn't think I would have saud this a year ago, but.. Even though Kwame and the uh, bodygaurds his (supporters) thought he should have, did a few juvenile things; i think he is currently pointed in the right direction and will be as good as anyone in the hopper anytime soon.

Detroitprincess
Username: Detroitprincess

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone is better then Kwame!

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barry Sanders

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wait, are the nominations still open? I would like to nominate Colin Hubbell of the Hubbell group http://www.hubbellgroupdetroit .com/ for being a developer (white nonetheless) in the Midtown area before it was cool. That shows dedication to the city! Anyone want to second my nomination?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame is successful politically because he has figured out that he must appeal to only those citizens who vote. He doesn't pay attention to those critics that either don't or can't vote.

Here in Detroit the folks that vote are mainly female, over age 50 and have lived difficult lives. They see Kwame as a handsome, strong, successful black man. They see in Kwame everything that their sons could have been. As long he can use the "credible" defense that the suburbanites are out to get him, that the police are thugs who conspire against a black man, then he will still hold appeal. Remember his base all have sons that have been abused by the police, and kept under the some sort of suburban thumb.

Now, you may or may not like Kwame, but his continued success hinges on appealing to his core female supporters. All he needs to do is to fend off any Democratic upstart and the job is his for life.

It is the exact same political formula that kept john Conyers, Coleman, John Engler, and G.W. Bush in office: Appeal to your base and give a big middle finger to everyone else.

Competitors? Hansen Clark will run because he will be Term Limited out of office. Ken Cockrel will run because he'll get some support from his dad's pals and those old Coleman cronnies who lost their city contracts. That Talibani lady on the Council will run because she hears voices. Ron Scott will run because ProjectBait will go belly up once Rambeau passes on.

Some crazed white guy will run just for fun.

Kwame will win because the fractious wanna-bes will split into their respective sub-sets of disaffection and the only cohesive voting block left will be Kwame's Qweens.

Next.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Kwame will win because the fractious wanna-bes will split into their respective sub-sets of disaffection and the only cohesive voting block left will be Kwame's Qweens."

I thought that there is a primary.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.