Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Interesting...Detroit resident to surf across Lake Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freep article about an East-sider with a brave plan to raise money for cancer research. Anyone know this dude?

CITY SURFER: Detroit man takes to the Great Lakes to indulge his passion for riding the waves
August 10, 2007
BY CECILIA OLECK
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070810/FEA TURES08/708100400

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First I have heard of the Great Lakes being any sort of locale for surfing, "Winds moving across the lakes can whip up waves to rival ocean breakers, though less consistently. Surfing here takes dedication and a sense of adventure, which makes it all the more rewarding, says Bidawid. From Detroit, he is able get to any of the lakes easily."

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 764
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is one of the most wild articles I've read in a long long time. I want what that guy is drinking

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prob. water from Lake MI. LOL.

Username: 659

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not surprised to see this at all. i lived in san diego a few years ago and just before i left i started seeing a lot more folks way out beyond the break, standing up on the board and paddling. there's a lot to see that way and you can move quickly. although it does seem like it will get rough in the middle of lake michigan!

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.... go for it...

dumbass ;)

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha Ha Ha Ha ... a bunch of couch potatoes making fun of someone who lives for adventure. more power to him.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't see how he's going to avoid doing a whole lot of paddling-- unless he's going across with high winds and storms the whole way, there's no way that waves alone will carry him a majority of the distance.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeeezz...we were driving north on I-75 yesterday and saw a car with two surfboards on top. My husband said "I never heard of surfing around here! I think that guy is headed in the wrong direction." I'll bet it with this guy headed up north! I wish him the best! (brave soul, for sure!)

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 753
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out this trailer for a movie about great lakes surfing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7Sm Gq4mQggA

Type "unsalted" into youtube and look at a bunch of other clips.

See you guys in the lineup!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.