Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Post katrina new orleans comparison « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tour passenger Kaye Moeller, a retired teacher from Bluefield Hills, Mich., who took the disaster tour earlier this summer, said the flood-damaged areas reminded her of downtown Detroit. But New Orleans "didn't look quite as bad because people had taken care of the property. So it looked like people might be moving back in," she said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20 163356/
(from today)

some neighborhoods i could see, but downtown? that i find a little hard to believe.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaye Moeller = one of the people who are proud of the fact they haven't set foot within the city limits of Detroit in 20 years.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1343
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where the hell is Bluefield Hills?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your guess is as good as mine. Google didn't turn anything up.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 507
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

to bad there is no bluefield hills in michigan. Not to be picky but I am presuming Bloomfield hills.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol. i presumed that as well UO. i guess i read thru it pretty fast.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad it's not located in the UP...

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bluehair Hills?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9787
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bet says Ms. Moeller is one of the many foolish people in Michigan that think if Detroit went away all of the crime, poverty and homeless of the state would just disappear.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda like Bluefield Hills?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Detroit looks worse than post-Katrina New Orleans then maybe Michigan can fill the gap in its economy by running tours through the city.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know which AP hack wrote that crap?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the last line of the article:

quote:

Our biggest challenge is really just dispelling myths" and convincing people New Orleans is a good place to come despite the bad news about the city, she said.

Replace "New Orleans" with "Detroit" and tell Kaye-Mo to down that with her Geritol.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 497
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Orleans and Detroit are the two cities that lost the most people in 2005.

Both cities have much history and many strengths. We need to have smart people run our governments to help attract investments.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4667
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Train...does NO need Smart service too?

I think you need to go to the Big Easy and talk to them down there...

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2572
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meanwhile, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin is doing his part to sabotage his city:
quote:

Mayor: Violent crime keeps the 'New Orleans brand out there'

The Associated Press
Friday, August 10, 2007

NEW ORLEANS: Mayor Ray Nagin said he worries that slayings in the city make it seem dangerous, but news of such crimes "keeps the New Orleans brand out there."

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap /2007/08/10/america/NA-GEN-US- New-Orleans-Crime.php

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9243
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you imagine the prez of GM, Ford, Chrysler or Toyota saying that recalls and poor quality "keep the _____ brand out there."

The stockholders would have him/her fired by the end of the week.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"didn't look quite as bad because people had taken care of the property. So it looked like people might be moving back in,"

Given the gross, phonetic error made by the author in defining Kaye Moeller's hometown, the quote (above) attributed to her in the article is likely to be the only accurate part of Ms. Moeller's actual, stated opinion. Read it carefully and before you castigate Ms. Moeller again, note that she was not "quoted" as saying either "Detroit" or "New Orleans".

My guess is that she probably made a highly qualified comparison between NO and Detroit, but it probably ended up being a long and convoluted statement. In order to come up with something shorter, more readable and "interesting" for the article, the author probably excerpted just that portion of her lengthy statement for the quote (leaving out all of the limiting and restricting portions of Ms. Moeller's statement) and then added their own words to turn the quote into an opinion.

It is anybody's guess as to whether what we are reading is a true and fair editing job of Ms. Moeller's stated opinion or if it is something that got "lost in the translation".

However, any time you read words within quote marks that cannot stand alone to make a definitive statement (as above), you can be pretty sure that the author had done a selective editing job and the person quoted was left shaking their head and thinking, "that's not what I meant or said!".

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, good point. Technically, she isn't quoted as saying anything about Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.