Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Warren « Previous Next »
Archive through August 13, 2007Patrick30 08-13-07  9:40 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^

If you combine all of the various communities (from New Baltimore to Wixom to Auburn Hills to Rockwood and everything in between) that make up "Detroit" the population is 3.7 million people in less than 1,150 square miles. About 3 million of those people live in an area of about 600 sq. mi.

In the 1970's, however, Detroit and the inner-ring had over 3.1 million people in 430 sq. mi.

Even today the city of Los Angeles only has about 3.5 million in a similar area...

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in Warren about 13 years. Grew up in S.H., went to Warren H.S..

One of my biggest gripes is when they closed my high school. The excuse in 1992 was declining enrollment. So they merged with Mott H.S..

After they converted W.H.S. into a community center, the neighborhoods turned over and school enrollment went thru the roof. So tax dollars had to be spent to upsize Mott into some Frankenstein inspired, wings in every direction cluster you-know-what.

They should have mothballed the W.H.S. until enrollment returned to previous levels.

They did do a nice job on the community center though.

I do have a weakness for the St.Anne's Sausage Fest. I tend to add a little ballast during that time of the year.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6343
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren went from a population of 170,000 in 1970 to 136,000 people in the year 2007. WOW! what a white flight.

If our economy wasn't in bad shape Warren would have a booming population:

198,765 in 1980

276,098 in 1990

349,023 in 2000

387,982 by 2007

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 616
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Warren had a white flight. That pop decline looks like demographic change.
Kids grew up, there was no housing in Warren to buy, so they moved to other areas, and their parents stayed in Warren.

Happens in most places.

Danny

Post Number: 6345
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketoronto,

White flight is happening in Warren and other suburbs not because of black folks moving in but due to loss of jobs. Yes, Kids are moving on but race and lack of jobs contribute to white flight from Warren.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: [The Kuhnhenn Brewery is the]"only place in Warren to be recommended."

Don't forget about Jon Jon's:-)

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

[The Kuhnhenn Brewery is the]"only place in Warren to be recommended."

Although their brewing supply store behind the bar could use a broom and a mop every once in a while (yuck)

Really nice guys though.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Danny says is true. White flight has been occurring in Warren over the last several years.

Example: Myself... to Detroit!

9ryan
Username: 9ryan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Warren before I-696 was constructed. Splitting a city with a freeway almost always creates a portion that goes into decline. Robert Moses did this with his freeway building all over the NY metro area, supposedly with the intent to segregate along racial lines.
When I lived in Warren (~'57 to '71), the population was almost 100% white. What is it now? I haven't been back since '86.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I do have a weakness for the St. Anne's Sausage Fest.

???? More info on this please!

(Message edited by supergay on August 16, 2007)

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Warren - 12 & Hoover area. My parents still live there.

The houses in the area are well built and the home owners tend to keep them well maintained.

Financially, it would have made sense for me to live there as an adult, as the houses are reasonably priced, but I wanted a change of scenery. Since my early 20's I've lived at Cass/ Bagley in Detroit, Pleasant Ridge, and now Rochester Hills.

Detroit_signal
Username: Detroit_signal

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Warren - Common and Hayes area. My brother and I were the only kids on the street so we had to entertain ourselves all the time. It was always an elderly community when we were growing up, and the Warren Woods Public School system had shrunk from more than 10+ elementary schools in the 1960s to three by the time I went there in the 1980s and graduated in 2000. There were good memories throughout school and wonderful friends, but our neighborhood was BORING!!!! I went through the old neighborhood last week. It was very disappointing to see how no one takes care of anything anymore. My house wasn't so bad, but some of the old "showcase homes" on the block have gone to hell. Streetlights out, crappy looking houses and lawns....very sad. City politics??? What a joke!

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 320
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_Signal - I grew up in the EXACT same area but I am probably double your age. The school that is now DeLaSalle was my Junior High. The subdivision that is next to the school did not exist when I was a kid. It was a wooded area known as "Rock Lake." I think Warren Woods actually had close to 25 schools before it was reduced to the current three. Most of the home are still well maintained but probably not up to the old standards. My parents have lived in that same area for over 40 years and still have some of the original neighbors.

Ookpik

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Anne's Sausage Festival is the fundraiser/carnival that St. Anne's Catholic Church on Mound throws each year. They have a very large Polish population so it tends to have a Polish theme with great food, and yes, lots of sausage.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up in Warren got married moved to Centerline bought my first house at State Fair and Gratiot in Detroit had kids moved to Harper Woods and now reside in Hamtramck. While everyone moved farther and farther out I moved closer and closer the core city. Im buckin the trend my friends!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5131
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9ryan, the only problem with your comment that building I-696 splitting up Warren is that Warren was already split up with Centerline being right in the middle of it. Much of central Warren is now split from Centerline via I-696, with only the eastern and western sections of Warren split in half due to I-696.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up by Bunert and 12 Mile. My neighborhood looks exactly the same and I graduated from Tower in 1997. I don't think that much looks different in the city except for the fact that lawns look like crap since its hardly rained this year.

Concon
Username: Concon

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can sober, rational people believe that the folks in Warren who came from the East Side of Detroit and Hamtramck are any different from people either in Detroit or the surrounding suburbs?????

Remember that Warren was not incorporated until 1955, effective 1956, after GM built its Technical Center, long after the tank arsenal that continues to exist today.

Is is pure CONDESCENSION to assert or imply that the politicians are or were of a lower caliber than in the surrounding suburbs.

Like so many suburbs, Warren adopted TERM LIMITS restricting its officials to three four year terms to prevent pension benefits so this comment is PURE NONSENSE:

just heard that Warren City Council members who serve two consecutive terms get health care for life. Lol...think that might explain the pre-primary field of 45 candidates ?

When residents don't run for office, they are accused of apathy and when do they do respond, then we get the above garbage.

Where is the tolerance?

Worse, where is the FACTUAL information that is available????

From an attorney who served on the Warren Council, 1965-69, and then was promoted to district court for the next eighteen years.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lived in the South End of Warren now since 1985. I proudly serve the City as Secretary of the Cultural Commission. The Southern end of Warren has produced some fantastic professional Musicians, two examples are Suzanne Mallare Acton (Chorus Director of the Michigan Opera Theater), and Richard Seraphinoff, (Professor of Horn at Indiana University). Both Rick and Suzanne are graduates of Lincoln High School. I am proud to also be a Lincoln Grad, as was current Mayor Mark Steenburgh.

Warren gets a bad rap because of the usual political bickering. The City Council did enact term limits, but in the fine print didn't bother to inform the residents that after one term out of office, they could run again to regain their fiefdom. I could write a book on the garbage that goes on, and since Warren has an electorate that is mostly uninformed, they basically vote via name recognition, so Warren residents end up getting some politicians that are sleazy to say the least.

When only 16,000 voters show up and vote at a primary and a certain Mayoral Candidate gets about 8,000 votes and declares a "MANDATE" I think, "Oh shit, look out! If this person wins the General Election, Warren will be MUCH further in DEEP DOO DOO! He is only for himself, not the residents as he likes to fill the Seniors with what they want to hear and in no way the truth.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren is a Great city...

TriumphDog

For Me To Poop On!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no response, i guess triumph said it all

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Concon---I believe that I tried my first jury case in Warren in the mid-60's. Vern Bowie (sp?) was the judge. He knew I was a rookie, was very tolerant, very courteous and a real gentleman to me. Didn't even refer to me as "one of those Detroit attorneys from a big law firm"!!
Then I had a couple of trials with Roy Gruenberg, whose daughter I believe went on to become a District Judge in Warren.
I also had a case in which I represented former Treasurer, Helen Klamicki Dannis (sp?). She was sued by a "taxpayer" for allegedly assaulting her following a flare up at the Couciil Meeting.
She was a pistol to say the least. Talk about politics!! GP in the 60's was rather meek compared to Warren.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik,
Warren Woods once had 10 elementary schools, 3 junior highs and 2 high schools, although some of the elementaries were already being sold-off by the early '70's. Some people get Warren Woods and Warren Consolidated confused; Warren Con is a much larger district.

The_rock,
I remember getting my Warren property tax bills with the return address of "Mrs. L. Klimecki-Dannis, Treasurer" on the envelope. I think her first name was Lillian. Like a lot of other female politicians in Warren, past and present, she was going for the ethnic vote by using her Polish maiden name as well as her married name.

(Message edited by Newport1128 on August 31, 2007)

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's reassuring to know that the City Council meetings have always been a nuthouse. =)
Gives it a certain consistency!

Danny

Post Number: 6424
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9ryan,

Warren's white population is now 84% It has decreased from 170,000 in 1970 to 134,000 in 2000. It's black population has increased to 7% nearly the 10,000 mark. It's population will continue to decrease until new alternative attractions could be reached.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 574
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you getting data on Warrens black population for today???

Danny

Post Number: 6444
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Log on to Census.gov it will show you all about the ethnic demographics of race, sex, color, household poverty, median age and many more.

Danny

Post Number: 6445
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard,

Warren is still is the biggest populated suburb in the Metro-Detroit area. Sterling Heights is second biggest populated suburb.

Warren's population (134,000) still continues to decline while Sterling Heights population (128,000) is slowly increasing. In 30 years Sterling Heights will be the biggest populated city in the metro Detroit area Warren would be the second populated city unless Canton, TWP. Clinton TWP. Macomb, TWP. and the merging of Royal Oak, Madison Heights, Oak Park, Hazel Park, Clawson, Royal Oak TWP. Ferndale, Huntington Woods, Pleasant Ridge, Berkley other mergings of Farmington, Farmington Hills Pontiac and Bloomfield Hills happens.

Fnnm400
Username: Fnnm400

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out this Warren Site

http://warrenuncensored.com/

Danny

Post Number: 6462
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketoronto,

There is new type of generational white flight that is happening in South Warren and other inner ring suburbs. A white flight caused by baby boom families with their children all grown up beginning to move away from those crammed up brightmooresque ranch homes in which they called 20th Century shacks. The grown up empty nesters want more space and away from the black communities of Detroit as quickly as possible. The solution, THE EX-URBS houses that are being built in the middle of nowhere just a car drive away from any big box retail schools and FWY's. It's happening right now and who are filling up the inner ring suburban void? Blacks, Arabs, Hispanics, Chaldeans, East Indians and Asians.

Other white flights from inner ring suburbs to the ex-urbs are also happening in Chicago, Washington DC, Atlanta and other southern cities. New Jersey cities and many more.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.