Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Canoists and Kayakers favorite spots? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just picked up an Old Town Discovery 169 from a builder down on his luck. Damn Michigan economy.

What are some of your favorite lakes or rivers within a couple hours of the city? Please share your thoughts, nature viewing experiences etc. Paddling.net has some good suggestions but I suspect there are some experienced local paddlers here.

Has anyone been to St. John Marsh?

Is it possible to canoe the Detroit River?

TIA

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're willing to go a few hours north the Au Sable and Manistee rivers are great trout fishing and canoing/kayaking spots.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 778
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pere Marquette is my Fav river to canoe, fast, cold and pristine.

THe Pine, now theres a river that you have no time to relax and drink a brew on, its fast, twisty with lots of overhangs, rocks and even some small rapids.

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Johns marsh is great. You can also take the ferry over to Harsen's Island and canoe the backwaters of the St. Clair Flats. Lots of wildlife and clear waters. I do not recommend going there on a summer weekend though the wakes from the recreational boaters can be a huge annoyance.

I would not recommend taking a canoe on the Detroit River. To open, to rough.

For river canoeing I recommend the Huron River. The best stretch is upstream of Ann Arbor to Kent lake. It is bordered by parkland the majority of this segment and unless there has been a major downpour recently the waters run clear and clean akin to a northern trout stream.

If you are not adverse to canoeing in murkier water the Clinton river from Budd Park in Clinton township to downtown Mt. Clemens offers some suprisingly beautiful scenery. The last time I paddled it was clear of any logjams but nobody maintains it so it is always possible that you may encounter a logjam in which case the banks are verry muddy and not the most pleasant for exiting your canoe and having to portage.

I have paddled sections of the Rouge River in Dearborn but I do not recommend it do to limited access and pollution concerns.

I hope this helps

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course Belle Isle used to rent canoes years ago, but I haven't seen anyone paddling there in years. Does anyone know if it's still possible (or allowed) to navigate the canals on Belle Isle"? Just curious.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 506
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you like lake canoeing Kensington is always a spot I venture to. Besides that you may try Pinckney. Those are the spots close I would recommend when I was working as a manager at raupp campfitters selling The 169 at least. Lakes besides that I would suggest are up north towards petoskey but that is a little further up. Also the Bear and the sturgeon rivers are a lot of fun to canoe on up that way. Most of the metro parks have access Here is a map of them.

http://www.metroparks.com/glob al/maps.php
Here are the local rec areas.
http://www.michigandnr.com/par ksandtrails/parknav/washtenawa rea.htm

Sc00by9999
Username: Sc00by9999

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am an avid kayaker living in the city. there are lots of places to plop the ol' Yak in. I really like Kensington metropark, Waterloo recreation area near AA, and of course in and around Belle Isle. (although kayaking on the Detroit river isnt for newbies, it can get crazy). For those in the suburbs north, Pontiac lake is great, along with Bald mountain state park in Lake Orion. Ive heard seven lakes is good, plan on doing it this Saturday.

We have a few of us that get together and paddle. If anyone is interested in joining in the fun, we would love to see you!

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, how cool. I am open to meeting up for sure. Great suggestions from everyone. I was just at Bald Mt. We tried to get the canoe through a passageway over to a bridge but it was way too shallow and we ended up coated in muck. Fun trying though.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 568
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Huron River is great all the way from Proud Lake to Lake Erie. If you don't feel like paddling up river there are several liveries in Milford that will pick you up/drop off (And your canoe) for extended trips.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on August 10, 2007)

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure to check out South Lake in the Pickney Rec area. It is an overlooked lake that is great for paddling with three smaller lakes with connecting channels. Pretty far west of Detroit proper but as remote of a feel as you'll get in southeast Michigan.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.