Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » United Shirt Distributors « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitsky
Username: Detroitsky

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all, first post. I was wondering if anyone had any information, pictures or anything else of the United Shirt company. Thanks.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum, sky. Old duffs like me ( and jjaba, and Ray36 )don't always recall our last names, but still have a recollection of "that which was" in this old town.
United Shirt used to have a retail store in the building where the Lafayette Coney Isle is located. 3 button-down dress shirts for $10. What a bargain.
I thought they were actually called United Shirt Distributors.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2447
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a United Shirt at the 7 Grand Shopping Center too, I think.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also right across the street from the white castle at michigan and 12th

Offical_birdbath
Username: Offical_birdbath

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

United Shirt was in the Livonia Mall in the 60's and 70's.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, the upper two stories were removed from the building? Was there a fire that made that necessary?

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, as can be seen in the picture, United Shirt was at the tip of the building with American Coney and Lafayette Coney behind it. In 1989, American purchased the space formerly occupied by United when they "went under" and expanded into what we have today.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 900
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems I remember one in downtown Royal Oak on Washington.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

United Shirt/Grand River McNichols

Grand River and McNichols

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper and Van Dyke also.

The_rock

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker--Grand River and McNichols? You sure? I thought it was Livernois and McNichols, kitty corner to dear old U of D. Varsity theatre was a former favorite of mine back in Jesu Parish days.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1868
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the error, Rock. I was going by what was on WSU's site, and didnt' bother fact checking it. You are correct, address listed as 1721 Livernois, at:

http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/location.asp?id=789&typ e=5

(Still can't find my spreadsheet with all of the threatres listed, since moving files to my new computer last week.)

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 435
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to buy ties there for a buck apiece.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember 'em at Oakland Mall, too. I can't recall if I ever bought anything from them or not.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember them at Fairlane, Northland, Wonderland, Sears/Dix, Grand River Greenfield. They were all over.

The store at Michigan and Rosa Parks was an outlet store.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had a big store at Eastland until '90 or so I think..

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Downtown USD, near the State/Palms/State/Filmore Theatre on Woodward. Again, a Cunningham's is nearby; I'm sensing a trend here, of course almost everything was once located near a Cunningham's, at one time.

(I forgot to add that all photos are from the WSU/VMC.)

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

United Shirt was also in some malls up until the '70s. There was one at Westland Mall. And, you could count on every shopping area having a Cunningham's and a Sander's, and very likely a Winkelman's, too.

Detroitsky
Username: Detroitsky

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In that last pic, is United Shirt in the second floor too or is that just advertising?

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The company that owned United Shirt, didn't they also own the Richman's stores and the Fay's dress shops?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3420
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

United Shirt Distributors circa 1940...

Henry Hyman, pres
R Leo Watson, v-pres
Wm Sharpe, treas

office: 115 State (5th & 6th floors)

branches:

33 Campus Martius
13612 Fenkell
5870 W Fort
7316, 8988 & 10761 Grand River
9, 9625 &13557 Gratiot
8017 & 14357 Harper
13124 E Jefferson
15348 & 17105 Livernois
14339 Mack
10, 101, 560 & 5421 Michigan
89 Monroe
7731 E Seven Mile
7905 W Vernor
16434 E Warren
2209, 6558 & 14135 Woodward

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mother-In-Law worked for United Shirt for 13-1/2 years, and she tells me that Burt Hyman was either the son or grandson of Henry. He was the snake that sold USD to Fines Mensware out of Norfolk, VA. They in turn bought the name and rights till 92 then turned around and dumped the stores with no warning. The last time she saw Burt was at Laurel Park Mall where he was working at Jacobsons.

Jeans Galore was a small spin off of USD catering to the younger crowd.

The USD on Michigan Ave across from Tiger stadium was the outlet with the offices upstairs and the warehouse in the back.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow the Varsity !!
Rock - that was on Livernois proper, right ?
The Architecture sure looks like Charles Agree who did all the deco Cunninghams as well as the Vanity and Grande Ballrooms.
Do you, by chance remember the Campus Ballroom around the corner ?

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question

I remember the stylish street lamps seen in the pictures in this thread. You could tell what street you were on if you paid attention to the lamps (not all obviously, but quite a few). Like the one that lined Outer Dr and Can Dyke had unique ones as well. Woodward with the "double" lamp that was nothing more than the lamps that lined Grand River just with two heads.

I was just wondering if anybody knew where they were made? I have looked this info up many times over the past 7 years and I have come up with absolutely nothing. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places?

Douglasm

Post Number: 905
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leob....
.....according to www.cinematour.com the architect of The Varsity was Hector Payne, and the address was 1721 Livernois. Alas, I viewed it from afar, or at least across the street, waiting in line at The Chessmate.....

Didn't John Sinclair attempt to buy it for use by Trans-Love as a music venue?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1873
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the United Shirt on Campus Martius, from the list that Mikem provided. It's just to the right of Sam's, which was the old Detroit Opera house in a prior life. I think the other merchants are Parish Shoes (?) and Adam's Hats.

United Shirt Campus Martius 1930s

wsu/vmc

Douglasm

Post Number: 911
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said I thought there was a United Shirt in Royal Oak? It was a Fintex store. That's what I get for thinking....

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might try

tshirtwebsites.com

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 564
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, do you and all the other old-timers remember the night the "R" on the United Shirt sign went out and they had to turn it off?

Bob Cosgrove

That's a 1950's Detroiot joke

The_rock

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Bob, I guess that I have not heard that one, but I do recall when the E and the s went out on the Essex House sign overlooking Central Park in NYC. That made the front page of the NY Times , and Readers's Digest.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Sam's Cut Rate. Everything that could possibly be fitted into one display window and then some! I have a June, 1959 Detroit News here with coupons for Sam's in it.

The_rock

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I recall, Sam's Cut Rate had both the store that occupied the old opera house, but another, larger store near the Water Building. They sold shirts and shirts and shirts--piled up all over the place.
Were there even other locations?

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Sam's ad in the Detroit Times (I have a Detroit News also but the Sam's ad is in the Times, to correct my earlier post) on Monday, June 8th 1959 the locations of Sam's are:

Woodward at Campus
Schaefer at Michigan
Randolph at Monroe
E. Warren at Connor

The only two I recall going into were #1 and #3 on that list.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5112
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although borderline politically incorrect... Bob_Cosgrove and The_rock, I remember one night driving out Northwestern Hwy to Telegraph and seeing the BENNIGINS restaurant sign, where "BEN" went out!!

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the United Shirt store at Northland as well as the Michigan Ave. location downtown.

Leo...the Campus Ballroom was a mile south of the Varsity theatre on Fenkell and Livernois.

Hornwrecker...Thanks for that shot of the Varsity and the McNichols/Livernois intersection. My family moved into that neighborhood in '59 and I have a lot of good memories of the Varsity. There is a McDonald's on that corner now.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The_Rock said: I do recall when the E and the s went out on the Essex House sign overlooking Central Park in NYC. That made the front page of the NY Times , and Readers's Digest.

Not a Detroit thing, but this "slightly" altered photo, taken from Central Park in NYC, shows what Rock was talking about. I also have it on good authority that this is the girl that Jjaba took to Bennett Park.
You know - the one that he kissed on the strikes......

Ookpik

The_rock

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!!! Knowing jjaba as I do, if he took her to Bennett Park, she paid her own way.
Essex House was a fine hotel. I saw Cassius Clay there in the lobby. He was in town to testify in a criminal (murder)case regarding a boxer named Rubin "Hurricane" Carter. That's a story unto itself.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.