Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Some level-headed commentary from L. Brooks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more in a long line of irresponsible comments from Oakland County's executive:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070809/UPDAT E/708090478/1003

I figure it this way: he's been pulled over drunk; keeps the city-suburb divide a wide one; praises urban sprawl; is a hypocrite (despite his conservative politics, he spearheaded an example of government screwing things up and stepping in when not needed (Wireless Oakland)); and now this. If anything, LBP is an example of how much damage a politician can do. By the way-what does the "L" stand for?

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LEWIS!

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 344
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He may be obnoxious but what did Wireless Oakland screw up exactly?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 555
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FOX2 adding an 11 pm newscast??

I think you mean, http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070809/UPDAT E/708090467/1003

Dustin89

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops! Thanks Spiritofdetroit!

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 556
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 566
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like good news for DPS. =)

Dustin89

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wireless Oakland is problematic because it has run into problems and is not on schedule. Many believe private enterprise could have done it better, so more Oakland County residents would have Wi-Fi by now.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 771
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Patterson began his piece by writing: "Everybody should go out and buy a gun. I recommend an Uzi. If you don't like guns, then I suggest you buy a pair of guard dogs, preferably a pit bull and a Rottweiler.

I see L Brooks Patterson is an adherent of the "Supersport Personal Defense Plan."

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Wireless Oakland is problematic because it has run into problems and is not on schedule. Many believe private enterprise could have done it better, so more Oakland County residents would have Wi-Fi by now."

It actually is done by private enterprise. The county merely gave the company access to Oakland's poles in exchange for getting free wireless for the county. And what are these delays? The program from the start is to be phased in slowly, so in that sense it's pretty much on track. Are you at all familiar with what Wireless Oakland actually is?

It's one thing to criticize Patterson for his actions; it's another to completely misrepresent a program simply because you feel like taking blind swings at him.

Dustin89

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not taking blind swings or misrepresenting Wireless Oakland. It was a project conceived so as to make L. Brooks look good--that is why there was government involvement. There was a bid process by the county government to select a contractor (MichTel.) Oakland County's Wi-Fi is not being developed or installed in a competitive environment; the service provided is not as good as it could be and the project has been delayed. Here is a good paragraph about it from MuniWireless that outlines the main concerns in the second part of the article (namely, that it is a "closed" network without multiple Internet Service Providers, making it essentially a monopoly.)

Update on Oakland County, Michigan wireless project
The Detroit News has a long article on the countywide Wi-Fi project in Oakland County, Michigan. I had posted an article about this project last November (click here).
Oakland County issued a bid last year and chose MichTel Communications from Pontiac to own, operate and maintain the network. The Detroit News article says that the network will cost $100 million to build and $1 million a month to operate. MichTel is bearing all the costs. How will they make money: through advertising and fee-based subscriptions. According to the article, "Oakland Wireless is projected to make $53 million if it captures 10 percent of the county's 1.2 million households and 40,000 businesses."

Not an open network model

According to Tammi Shepherd, project manager for Oakland County, "MichTel is not required to wholesale bandwidth, however they may if they wish. The primary requirement of our program is they will provide free internet access at 128 kbps up/down for every business, resident, and visitor in Oakland County. They also have non-exclusive access to the public assets. People will create a user name and password on a captive portal for the free service, and will have the option to upgrade to higher speed services with MichTel."

My concerns with the countywide network are listed below.

(1) While I am pleased to see that the county has arranged for free public access, the bandwidth is really TINY and not very useful at all. It's just slightly better than dialup.

(2) The county missed an opportunity to create a real competitive environment with a lot of ISPs on the network offering services to residents and businesses. Had they followed the open network model (see Philadelphia's deal with Earthlink), they would have required MichTel to open up the network to other service providers. The open network/wholesale access model is, in my opinion, the best model we have today for generating competition in the market for broadband services.

(3) Because of the closed nature of the network (see 2 above) I am afraid this is the same old broken CABLE FRANCHISE model exported to Wi-Fi.

(the URL for the above is http://www.muniwireless.com/ar ticle/articleview/4974/)

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2540
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If L brooks was mayor of detroit the city would be in much much much better shape_ perhaps we could start a special dumb shit juvenile thread for the likes of this one. This is just moronic ignorant crap.......great job dustin!!!!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wireless project is behind the timeline that was outlined when it was first proposed. There may be good reasons for that but it's not wrong to claim that it's behind schedule.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4069
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would be very, very surprised if Wireless Oakland ever makes a penny. 128K is a joke. The only ones who will use it will are those who can't afford anything or those who already have broadband and use it as a cheap temporary backup channel if their main service goes down.

Pretty much everybody who needs or wants broadband has it already and will be very reluctant to go through the hassle of switching to another unproven no-name provider, even if it comes with wifi. [If it ain't broke they won't wnat to fix it.]

About their only niche might be those who want mobile broadband, but not that many people have mobile computing needs and the big carriers are already providing it. And what good is it if you leave Oakland Co?

Finally, it will be 802.11 whose short range will require thousand of nodes to cover the county. That is so yesterday. It could have been better done with about 15 WiLAN nodes. But even if that model were chosen, I doubt if they would make it work.

I hope I am proven wrong, but I predict a fiasco.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1886
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your astute commentary, Lowell. I am sending it to my 7 year old grandson so he can tell me what the hell you are talking about.
Meanwhile, my 1976 Panasonic transistor radio needs a new 9 volt battery so I have my own technical world to attend to.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

recall lewis b. patterson!!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9776
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If L brooks was mayor of detroit the city would be in much much much better shape_ perhaps we could start a special dumb shit juvenile thread for the likes of this one. This is just moronic ignorant crap.......great job dustin!!!!

CL - How can you say that with certainty. People seem to believe that LBP could turn around Detroit but you have to keep his success in perspective. LBP has been executive in OC during times when flight was rampant and OC saw huge growth due to losses elsewhere. It is far easier to govern during a time of massive growth as opposed to loss.

Comparing his success in OC to how he would fare in Detroit is like comparing the leaders of GM during growth times to the leaders of GM now. It is not a 1:1 comparison as the situations are vastly different. I believe that LBP has had some good ideas but I also believe that anyone with half a brain could have done a good job in OC during their boom cycle.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 417
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the editorial:
quote:

How do you spell stupid?

I think it starts with an "L"...

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2545
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just reacting perhaps a bit too hastily to the usual ignorant, perfunctory remarks from the newest latest shitbird forumer jt1_ the truth is I don't know. And of course w don't know how OC might have done without LBP.

But I can bet it would have been better had he been Mayor of Detroit.I get realy frustrated with the dogma of this forum Guess what folks,(not you jt1) LBP is a born and raised Detroiter.He knows a lot(more than any of you) about Detroit.He probably has some useful ideas.Taking blind swings at him as hockey player puts it makes you all look like dumbshits.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 976
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The good news is that while LBP continues to increase jobs in Oakland County and MI,

and continues to fight off the Governors absurd proposals that are bad for MI...

he doesn't really care what whining pissants say on this or any other forum.

He continues to affect positive change in this state and the whiners that don't like him continue to acccomplish...not much.

LBP sits at the right hand of God.

Jt1

Post Number: 9780
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mafia - Is OC gaining jobs? They are faring better than most of the State but I am not certain that they are seeing job growth.

They have lost a lot in the auto sector and will be losing more in the coming year - a lot of GM people will be moving out of OC later this year.

Job growth in this region isn't really the big pressing issue in my opinion. Right now we are going to take our lumps but the important thing is to look at how city/counties are diversifying their job markets. I think that OC and Detroit are both trying to bring in other industries.

Beyond that the GR area and AA seem to be the only other areas that are moving forward with some level of employment diversification.

Jt1

Post Number: 9781
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I_M - One additional question:

What positive changes is LBP affecting? Not saying that he isn;t but I would like to hear something definitive.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 977
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a problem, Jt1.

His successes are numerous and noted, putting together thoughtful business friendly marketing domestically and internationally to attract business to Michigan. This includes the bringing together of incentives packages in an easy to access web-site (http://www.oakgov.com/econ/bus iness_services/incentives.html) and a very aggressive one-on-one schedule to meet with business leaders to understand an address their needs (something our governor seems completely inept at).

The genesis of Automation Alley can be traced back to Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson’s 1997 State of the County address. It now has nearly 700 members from the eight counties located within Southeast Michigan and the City of Detroit.

In 2003, 14.3% of all people employed in Michigan worked in Oakland County.

More than 784,000 people work in Oakland County's 44,512 business establishments and government agencies.

Educational Services and Health Care and Social Assistance led service sectors in employment growth increasing employment by 29.9% and 11.3% respectively.

The fastest growing occupation in the Detroit Region is network systems & data communications analysts. Several other technology-related fields are also quickly adding employees including ship engineers, aerospace engineers, biomedical engineers, database administrators and network and computer systems administrators.

Oakland County had 11.5 million square feet of floorspace either completed or under construction in 2004, accounting for one-third of Southeast Michigan's total nonresidential development.

Oakland County ranked first among Southeast Michigan counties in square feet of nonresidential development.

Completed projects totaled 4.6 million square feet, and developments under construction totaled 6.9 million square feet. Industrial/Hi-tech, retail, and office development accounted for approximately 68% of the county's development.

There were 6,434 new residential units developed in Oakland County in 2004.

Oakland County's payroll in 2003 for its 780,200 employees was almost $46 billion.

Retail sales in Oakland during 2002 totaled $22.5 billion. This exceeded the total retail sales of 14 different states and the District of Columbia.

Over 35% of Global Fortune 500 companies have business locations in the county.

Oakland County is Michigan's leading center for international commercial activity with 653 companies representing 24 countries doing business in the county.

Sixty-seven percent of foreign owned firms in Southeast Michigan are located in Oakland County.

Over 70% of Southeast Michigan's top OEM parts suppliers are headquartered in Oakland County.
Oakland County has 46% of all Michigan Research and Development firms.

The number of burglaries per year in Oakland County has decreased nearly 3% since 1994.
Oakland County has seen nearly a 25% decrease in the number larcenies committed over the past 10 years.

Over 8,800 acres in Oakland County are currently contained in more than 240 business parks.

Classifications for these business parks include research and development/hi-tech, light and heavy industrial, and office.

In 2003 and 2004, Oakland County lead the Southeast Michigan region with over 3.9 million square feet of office development either completed or under construction.

Oakland County recycles over 350,000 tons of residential, commercial and industrial waste materials each year in an ongoing effort to preserve its natural resources.

Of course all this pales in comparison to the great things that Dustin89 has done for Southeast MI.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2011
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously why criticize the guy when he saying is what probably a large proportion of Oakland residents are thinking?

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 418
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why criticize an asshole who says what a lot of other assholes are thinking? Because they're assholes, that's why.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9680
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey assholes, more assholes for your suck-fest!

By the way, that is not intended for Patterson. He is doing exactly what those in OC want. Just like Kilpatrick does exactly what those in Detroit wants. The problem to some degree is the ignorance of the populace of both places.

edited for typo.

(Message edited by GOAT on August 10, 2007)

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 979
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's funny Udmphikapbob,

Last time I was talking with Brooks, he didn't call you an a----.

Of course that's because he was busy doing great things for this region with the people who help create jobs...and you weren't there.

Jt1

Post Number: 9784
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IM - That is a great list but the question still remains how much of the growth in homes, wealth, jobs in OC is attributable to LBP's innovation and how much is situational based upon Detroit's decline?

I think that LBP has done some decent things but I also think that anyone with even the most remote leadership abilities would have fared well as OC executive over the last 15-20 years.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 981
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Completely disagree, respectfully Jt1,

Success doesn't just happen.

OC is successful because of very focused business friendly policies and a tough on crime approach that has made it a very attractive place to live and invest.

These policies were directly implemented by LBP

Being a Wayne County resident with lifelong East Side ties, I would have loved leadership in Detroit during this same period offering similar policies.

Instead, we look to the future...with perhaps some optimism as our Mayor has begun to grow up and continues to look for expense reduction and potential tax reduction to make the city more attractive for investment.

In the meantime, I will continue to celebrate the success and the example that LBP provides our region.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 326
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mafia: "The good news is that while LBP continues to increase jobs in Oakland County and MI..."

JTL: "IM - That is a great list but the question still remains how much of the growth in homes, wealth, jobs in OC is attributable to LBP's innovation and how much is situational based upon Detroit's decline?

I think that LBP has done some decent things but I also think that anyone with even the most remote leadership abilities would have fared well as OC executive over the last 15-20 years."

JTL, exactly. Brooks is not the creator of Oakland's prosperity - he is the beneficiary. Despite his drunkeness and bloviating, over the decades businesses have settled in Oakland because they were fleeing (black) Detroit and Wayne County, not because of any imaginary leadership from Patterson. (Now, those same businesses are fleeing Oakland for South Carolina, or India.)

Brooks is the little boy standing at the top of a glacier - he pulls one direction, and then gives a mighty tug in the other, and says, "Look! I'm steering the glacier!!"

The glacier named Oakland county will keep sliding the direction it wants.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Meanwhile, my 1976 Panasonic transistor radio needs a new 9 volt battery so I have my own technical world to attend to."

Mine too, Rock. LOL!

Went to the local computer store last week to pick up some black printer ink. While walking down the miles of shelves, I suddenly realized I had absolutely no idea what 75% of the items on the shelves were for. Could'a come from a UFO, for all I know.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3682
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think that LBP has done some decent things but I also think that anyone with even the most remote leadership abilities would have fared well as OC executive over the last 15-20 years.

Yet OC is one of the wealthiest US counties, and its residents continually reelect Patterson. Those voters could always elect somebody better, if they sense any need for change.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or if they cared who the OC exectuvie was.

I bet the majority of Oakland County residents have no idea who L. Brooks Patterson is, or what he does. Meh, I could be wrong. But I bet more of them know who the Mayor of Detroit is than who their County Executive is.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, '36, I DO know how to change the ribbon on my Royal typewriter. Did you know that they now come with a combination black/red ribbon?
Stay out of those computer stores. Computers are a temporary thing. When did you last see a window air conditioner? An Esterbrook fountain pen? A Muntz TV? All temporary phenoms.
Brooks Patterson lives in a fantasy world. Hopefully, he will bring back the yellow stop signs with black lettering. These new white on red ones don't stick out as much.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3683
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when Muntz TV sent out a skywriting airplane over Milwaukee spelling M U N T Z during the early 1950s. Must have been a fad--that TV thing...

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 855
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hadda love the "Mad Man." I bought my first TV from him in Chicago, a used console for $5.00. (It was third from the bottom in a pile of 10.)

(Message edited by 3rdworldcity on August 10, 2007)

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 869
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is this thread being jacked over the wi-fi issue? The article is about prison crowding. I think Brooks is right on in this case. As the crowding and money become more of a strain on the county, something is going to give. His idea about arming up is a good one, because as these guys are let loose into the county, death and mayhem are sure to follow. Doubt it? Was it not just a few short weeks ago when two bad asses were released out east for this same reason, and went on the rampage? If I recall correctly, three females in one family (aging from about 11, 16, and adult) were repeatedly raped in front of one another, beaten, and robbed, and burned alive as the father (who survived) was laying half dead in the basement. They were prisoners, released as the ones here will be. So a gun, even an Uzi, is a good idea indeed. Thanks for the heads-up, Brooks.

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on August 10, 2007)

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm, the early release program is only for NON-VIOLENT inmates. In case anyone cared about the facts......

Dustin89

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes...the offenses are mostly things like "revealing election results before the polls close" and some kind of illegal bidding practice by county officials that would go from felonies to misdemeanors. You won't need an Uzi or a pit bull to defend yourself from a disingenuous poll worker. In regards to L. Brooks' much lauded accomplishments for Oakland County, they have happened with the great cost of Detroit's decay, by fostering much of the region's business development in the suburbs. Of course, things are already beginning to slide now that L. Brooks' goal of a sprawling Oakland County seems to be nearly complete. If you think it is positive that Patterson has been at the helm of the development of a massive county sucking residents and jobs out of Detroit and transforming Oakland into one massive Waterford Township, then I can understand your praise for him.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 870
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They want to 'reclassify' 142 felonies as misdemeanors, Yvette248. Do you think that of those 142 felonies that none of them are going to be of a violent nature? But if calling them only a misdemeanor is going to make you feel safe, more power to you. I'm heading to the gun range.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3687
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I bet the majority of Oakland County residents have no idea who L. Brooks Patterson is, or what he does. Meh, I could be wrong. But I bet more of them know who the Mayor of Detroit is than who their County Executive is.

No doubt that many living in Pontiac probably don't know either of them...

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As to why Patterson keeps getting re-elected: Part of it is that he doesn't really have serious challengers. The last time he was re-elected, he didn't even have a Democratic opponent (a third-party candidate did run against him, from the Green party I believe, and maybe the fact that I can't remember the guy's name should give you an idea of how well-publicized his campaign was).

Trying_2_stay
Username: Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dustin I think the L stands for LOUDMOUTH!! I also think that he isn't talking to the people of Detroit....see we all know we have pitbulls and Uzi's, you can hear it on the news or outside if you really listen. Nooooooooo folks he was talking to the people that left Detroit because he knows that if Jennifer gets her way that those criminals will go where they there are no guns or pitbulls.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3688
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As to why Patterson keeps getting re-elected: Part of it is that he doesn't really have serious challengers.

He's hardly a Hitler. He doesn't use extreme prejudice against any competitors.

Stating that he doesn't have any serious competition is hardly his fault. Sheesh!

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said it was, but neither does it mean that Oakland County is necessarily overjoyed with his leadership. In the last election, the nobody who ran against him got over 18% of the vote with almost no advertising. If someone came along with a decent budget and some name recognition, I think Patterson could very easily lose his seat. Oakland County is not nearly as Republican as it used to be.

Yvette248

Post Number: 820
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad check writing can be classified as a felony. But its NOT violent. READ the law so that you can UNDERSTAND it!

P.S. L. Brooks is not my favorite person in the world, but he is very economically shrewd. Racist jerk or not, I'll keep voting for him until someone better comes along.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 796
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's his job until he wants to retire. Short of a major scandal, a county executive with 15 years of experience running one of the most successful counties in the country isn't going to get voted out of office.

I'm laughing over the fact that not getting 18% of the vote against a nobody points to some sort of vulnerability. All that means is that there are partisans in every county that will pull the Democrat/Republican lever regardless of who is running. Going from 18% to 50% plus is a huge mountain to climb.

There's a reason why political parties don't run candidates against politicians like Patterson and Dingell. They know they can't win.

(Message edited by rjk on August 10, 2007)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3689
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I never said it was, but neither does it mean that Oakland County is necessarily overjoyed with his leadership.

If a candidate wins with a 55/45 majority/plurality, it's considered a blowout. Still 45% of those voting weren't overjoyed...

Patterson wins by wider margins than 55/45.

Dustin89

Post Number: 111
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been a subtle shift, but Oakland County is voting in a more liberal manner on several fronts. I believe Oakland has always voted for Democratic presidents, but now races are also much closer on a local level. Having volunteered in the '06 Democratic campaign, I was surprised that the Andy Levin-John Pappageorge State Senate seat race in South Oakland came down to the wire. I figured that Levin would win, but Pappageorge had conservative areas like Troy in the district that helped him out. It was very close, and in the next election cycle I think you will see those kinds of situations transforming into Democratic wins. I don't see any threat to L. Brooks Patterson, though--he has such name recognition, longevity in office and priceless PR for himself that I can't see him leaving office until he himself chooses to do so. Nearly every minor press conference or proposal he puts forth makes the front page of the Oakland Press, and his grandstanding such as the successful petition drive to kill the SBT (without having the foresight to consider how to replace it, putting other politicians between a rock and a hard place), and the racially charged spat between him and the Detroit City Council over the Detroit Zoo keep him in the headlines, and in office.

Dustin89

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do have to nitpick here, Rjk--doesn't getting pulled over in a county vehicle for drunk driving and getting star treatment from the traffic cop constitute a major scandal? And I also remember an incident in which he was also intoxicated and damaged a county vehicle while baja-ing in it with some foreign investors. He's already had a few major scandals, and they seem to not have affected his electability. But I guess we'll find out the next time he runs.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3692
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...and his grandstanding such as the successful petition drive to kill the SBT (without having the foresight to consider how to replace it, putting other politicians between a rock and a hard place)...

Duh! He suggested what others (in the two houses) tried to do--fire some of the bloated state workforce of 56,000 and cut other co$t$. But Granny, being funded by unionists (and being a socialist, to boot), would have little to none of that.

Dustin89

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're failing to address the central criticism, Livernoisyard. He killed the main source of revenue for the state's general fund when it (the SBT) was already due to expire. He simply sped up its death and created an immediate state budget problem. I have no problem with unions or their support for state Democrats, and the 'socialist' comment is so silly I can't even address it.

Yvette248

Post Number: 824
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone has actually CAME to a state office building instead of just blathering off at the mouth, they would see that the offices are running on a skeleton crew. So the "cuts only" argument doesn't hold water. You cut too much and the governor gets forced to do things that are detrimental to society like - LET PRISONERS OUT OF JAIL, raise tuition, bench state troopers and NOT FIX BRIDGES.

I hate to tell you this, but we actually do need tax dollars to keep this state running.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3695
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody who believes we are not into socialism has been doing a Rip van Winkle the past few decades. Granholm is indeed a socialist--unless the socialists today prefer to be referred to as progressives--the same thing.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3696
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And of course (not all uppercase, in my case), we don't need more taxes to fix bridges. [There's always those who delight in such accidents so that they can push for more taxes.]

MN bridge inspectors were so wimpy that they said that bird droppings and spider webs were interfering with their work! Such babies for bridge inspectors there in Minneapolis! We have pigeon shit here too. I trust that line won't be reused when some similar problem occurs here.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" I trust that line won't be reused when some similar problem occurs here."

This is assuming that there will be ANY inspectors left in Michigan to inspect the bridges after the cut-taxes, cut-taxes, cut-taxes Republicans are finished.

Yvette248

Post Number: 829
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan, I think you made an error. I believe you meant "after the cut safety, cut services, cut education, cut everything else except for tax breaks for the rich are finished."

Right?

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 181
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Pontiac and although i pay for internet service i know alota people who dont have internet so it's a great thing to me. The service isnt the fastest but with them cutting funds for our library the slow wi-fi is better than nothing. With most lap-tops coming with wireless cards and the flea market selling them for as little as $150, wireless oakland is a great idea for the lower income residents of oakland county. You can also upgrade to a faster speed. I wont knock the man for trying to bring free internet access to the lower income are of oakland county. And it doesnt cost the county a dime, hopefully.

As far as letting non-violent inmates out early is a bad idea. If you dont have the money to house the criminals, most likely you dont have the money to supervise them when they are released. We had a case here in Pontiac a couple years ago where an inmate in prison for a non-violent drug conviction was mistakenly let out early due to some mistake by the parole office and he murdered the mother of his child and 2 of her kids.
http://theoaklandpress.com/sto ries/051104/loc_20040511040.sh tml

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 871
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rockcity2windycity, you stole my thunder, but thanks for making the point. This is exactly what I am referring to. Yvette248 seems to think that making a felony a misdemeanor makes violent non-violent. We are not talking about choir boys here, even if they did get caught writing bad checks. Some of these dudes are in on pleas, and many are return costumers. Brooks is right.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.