Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » A Detroit Sports Quiz « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No fair using the Sports Encyclopedia:
What sport, what team and what position did the following Detroiters play: (Spelling may be a little suspect.)
Ace Gutowsky
Mud Bruniteau
Gee Gee Walker
Bill Shepherd
Lloyd Cardwell
Syd Howe (Not Gordie)
Harry Eisenstadt
Tiger Tasker (This might be the tough one.)

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Embarrassed to say I only know of Syd Howe who played for the Red Wings. I believe he wore #6 which the Wings retired.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mud played for the wings, gee played for the tigers,

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ace Gutowsky played for the Lions.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 702
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eisenstadt was a pitcher for the Tigers.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 305
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is all off the top of my head:

Ace Gutowsky - Lions - 1930's

Mud Bruniteau - Wings - 1930's - Scored the winning and only goal in the longest hockey game ever.

Gee Walker - Tigers - 1930's - I think his nickname was "The People's Cherce."

Syd Howe - Wings - Scored 6 goals in one game.

Harry Eisenstadt - Tigers - Was the oldest Tiger to return to Tiger Stadium when it closed.

My grandfather loved Detroit sports and talked about it non-stop until the day he died. I feel I know more about the players from the 1930's - 1950's then I do about the current ones!

Ookpik

The_rock

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about another name--one of the first pro athletes, maybe even the first, I ever met....Ebby Goodfellow.
Any takers? Come on Oopik, step up to the plate---I mean the net.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 704
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger Tasker was a pro wrestler. And I thought he was from Canada.
And I believe his position was Full Nelson

Ookpik

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ebbie Goodfellow - Wing's - 1930's.

Rock - here is one for you. :-) Do you know the name of this ship?

For a larger version of the photo, please click here.

Ookpik

The_rock

Post Number: 1889
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you! Goodfellow is a Red Wing Hall of Famer.--But you are really testing me, Ookpik.
That silhouette looks like the older 580 ft class of the US Steel boats, and there were a good 25 or more of them. All the same dimensions, all with different names-- Affleck, Buffington, Dickson, Thomas, Johnson, Cory,Rehm, to name a few. About the only difference we used to look for was whether the stern mast was forward or aft of the stack.
As I recall, not all of them had "Pittsburgh Steamship Company" printed on the side. I thought those were more common with the 600 footers. Clemson,Kerr, Roberts. Trimble etc. And with somewhat larger wheelhouses.
Little Hint? Initials? 500 or 600 footer? Multiple Guess?? We are going back a good 40 years!
I'm sure it's not named after a former Detroit athlete. Although,come to think of it, we did have both a James Norris and a Red Wing that sailed the Lakes.

Ookpik

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock - I grew up at a time when only 4 teams didn't make the NHL playoffs - guess which team was always one of the 4? Thus, listening to my Grandpa's stories about about Goodfellow, Bruneteu, Normie Smith, Syd Howe, "Black" Jack Stewart, Sid Abel and others was a great thrill.

As for the ship - I do not know the name of it. :-( I came up with some of the names you did.

Among the "10,000 Negatives" are various photos of ships. Unfortunately, none of the names are visible.
I was going to post some of them in the "Old Photo" threads but I don't think anyone would be interested. Instead, I created the following blog: Mystery Ships Of The Great Lakes.

Ookpik

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, here you go --
http://www.liveauctioneers.com /item/3998162/

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik and Kenp: You both get "attaboys"
Ace Gutowsky played during the Dutch Clark and Lloyd Cardwell era for the Detroit Lions. Would you believe that we rode our bicycles to Neighborhood Field in Grosse Pointe and watched the Detroit Lions work out there? No fence, no grandstand. Pro football, at that time was still a fledgling sport in the early forties.
My dad took me to see the wrestling matches at the Brodhead Naval Armory and I remember Tiger Tasker. He smeared blood (read, catsup) all over his opponent but lost the match. His opponent was "The Masked Marvel" who was the "Dick Bruiser" of his time. He was, of course, eventually unmasked and continued wrestling under his real? name, Leo, 'something or other.' Any help on that last name???

The Edmund Fitzgerald would be too obvious a guess on the ship.

The_rock

Post Number: 1892
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW, Jiminnm!! Ebbie's autograph on a hockey stick. I went to Jr. High with Ebbie's son. I should have had him sign mine.

WOW, Ookpik!! Your blogs are reall neat. I will check out your Mystery Ships for future photographs. Mystery Ship 2 is the John Roen IV, a tug owned by the old Roen Salvage Company out of Sturgeon Bay. Mystery Ship 1, the "Mighty Mac", is tied up in Mackinaw City, and as mentioned, is a museum ship.

I haven't given up on that old U.S Steel photograph. Gotta dig into the old books in the basement.

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik,
A couple of possible corrections:
I went to the final game at Tiger Stadium, and it was announced that Elden Auker was the oldest former Tiger to appear.
When I (and I guess you) grew up, there were six teams in the NHL and only TWO of them did not make the playoffs.

The_rock

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elden Auker lived a few streets over from us when I grew up in Birmingham. After he retired, he came over to Quarton School and gave us kids a demonstration on his famous "underhand" delivery.

Ookpik

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock - Glad you like the blogs!

Grandpamike - In regards to the "Oldest Tiger" to appear at the final game - I think we are both wrong. I'd have to look at a tape I have of the game but I'm pretty sure Billy Rogell was there. If so, he would have been the oldest in age as well as a member of the earliest team represented.

I must be younger than you - I'm more from the expansion era of hockey than the days of the Original Six. You are right, in the Original Six format only two missed the playoffs - in the expansion era four teams missed the playoffs. From the 1970-71 season through the 1982-83 season, the Red Wings made the playoffs ONCE.

Ookpik

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.