Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » A Nice Afternoon In Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9235
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today my folks invited me to join them for a surprise.

We got into the car, and they said "however you get there, drive to Jefferson" and so I did, ending up near the RenCen. The driving part of their mystery trip ended up in the parking garage at Atwater & Bates.

First we took the Riverwalk up to Hart Plaza, walked around and read all the plaques and studied the artwork. Then we ventured back (chased by rain) to the RenCen, first paying a surprise visit to my nephew who works for Homeland Security at the Tunnel.

While waiting for Seldom Blues to open for lunch, we ventured up one level to RiverCafe, where the waitstaff & chef seemed to make it a personal mission to convince us to stay there for lunch. Their buffet today happened to be soul food, and so after touring the wares they sat us by the windows and we had a great lunch - though one rebel in our small group decided to have quesadeas (!!) The food and views were great.

Next, we boarded the 2-hour narrated river cruise on the Diamond Queen (used in a former life to-from Mackinac Island) past Manoogian mansion going around the far end of Belle Isle, past the beautiful parks and homes along the river in Windsor all the way to Zug Island where we turned once again and returned to the docks near the Tunnel.

Detroit's waterfront continues to improve and become more user-friendly and beautiful. Seeing it from the water is a different perspective than from land, good or bad - but things are definitely looking good. Windsor as seen from the water was a definite surprise, I've not seen it in years, beautiful also.

After this informative and relaxing ride, we drove around the city. I especially wanted to take a closer look at the Book Cadillac; I don't need to repeat anything here, things are definitely moving along there.

All in all, a very nice afternoon in Detroit.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Windsor as seen from the water was a definite surprise, I've not seen it in years, beautiful also."

How long of a drive was it for you to get downtown?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9775
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear that you had an enjoyable day here.

Karl

Post Number: 9236
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, perhaps I should have stated:

"Windsor, as seen from the far side of Belle Isle and approximately 150' offshore was a definite surprise, I've not seen it closeup from a boat in years."

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah. I was thinking that most people that haven't seen Windsor in years across the river from Detroit, don't just pick up on day and decide to drive to the downtown D. LOL. I was going to be really interested...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear you had a good time in Detroit, Karl. I recently was on a cruise on the Ovation yacht, I'll post the pics here maybe tomorrow. It certainly is nice seeing so much activity downtown, after so long of seeing so little. The riverwalk is beautiful, and all the construction going on is impressive.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4068
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the D Karl!

Come on out and play some handball on Belle Isle in tomorrow morning and then have a splash at the beach.

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 4:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey gringo,

its spelled Quesadillas.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6337
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep to the boat.

It looks nice from far, but it's far from nice.

Unless you just want to come to get Drunk, there will be little to do.

Karl

Post Number: 9240
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Lowell, wish I could. I'm on my way to Louisville for some family fun, touring Toyota on the way, will report on that tour also.

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 558
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Karl, let me know if you need any sightseeing or restaurant suggestions for Louisville ... enjoy.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j ohnlodge/

Here's those photos I promised of my Ovation cruise.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.