Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Who was (or is) your favorite Detroit DJ? » Archive through July 27, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Yeah sure he was. Prior to him every other DJ in Detroit was mundane and uninteresting. Babbling nonsense."

Wow ...every Detroit DJ prior to Steve Dahl was worthless. Now there's a bold venture into ...idiocy.

And I thought Steve was pretty good, before he ventured into the anti-disco nonsense. But nowhere near the best Detroit produced.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still haven't seen:

CKLW's Tom Shannon who was here, left for Buffalo, came back, left, came back, etc.

WXYZ's Joel Sebastian and Don Zee with the "all night satellite".

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 831
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i second the coachman

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Wow ...every Detroit DJ prior to Steve Dahl was worthless. Now there's a bold venture into ...idiocy."

Its just an opinion. But I have to ask who was as entertaining prior to and after him?

It sounds dumb now, but letting records skip for 15 minutes, and saying in a stoner voice "Oh wow man, sorry I was down at the party store". It was new and inventive at the time. Nobody had ever did it, that I recalled anyway. And it captivated a lot of listeners. It seemed everyone was listening to him.

He was saying and doing what alot of us would've done if we had the chance. He wasn't another boring stuffed shirt driving his voice as deep as it would go and trying to sound intelligent. Conforming to some schedule. He came across as genuine and real. And a lot people connected with that.

He shaped his show for the audience of that time. He hit it just right. Today, doing the same thing he'd probably be a total flop.

To just discard him as a "Jackass" is obviously offered by someone who wasn't even around then and is just another Google expert.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 736
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mojo.
Brave New Waves (coming in from Canada).

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3835
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahh, I forgot about good old Brent Bambry...
and Coachman, yeah, he was a unique personality.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the Old Schoolers it has to be "FRANTIC" Ernie Durham....

'Great Googa Mooga Shooga Wooga'

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And I hope to God nobody mentions Arthur Penhallow!

How about Doug Podell then?

just kidding :-)

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mojo, Martin Bandyke, Ed Love.

"Hold on Tight, dont let go, and when you feel yourself slipping, tie a knot and hold on!

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Clay, Dave Prince from Broadcastle - remember?

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know of any old Mojo broadcasts out there?

Tiberius
Username: Tiberius

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave Dixon. How many DJ's can introduce music and not be relegated to the stations play list.

Had the pleasure of meeting FRANTIC Erie Duram. He was pretty cool

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1958
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frantic Ernie D, Mickey Shorr, Scott Regen.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frantic Ernie Durham, Martha Jean, The Queen, Jay Butler, and Jeff Mills (The Wizard).

Tiberius-

Frantic Ernie used to say...."Remember your ABC's....Always Be Cool". He would call his girlfriend "Ooya Coo" on his show. I had the pleasure of meeting his wife at an Afro-American Festival one year before he died and I asked him is she was Ooya Coo. He got a chuckle out of this and was flattered that I remembered. He was a wonderful man.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred Wolfe used to wake me up on the clock radio with, "get outa bed". His Wandering Wigeloo sometimes was parked in front of the Broadhead Armory. photo of Fred and the Wandering Wigeloo http://www.reelradio.com/gifts /fwwxyz121064.html

Later, I remember Frantic Ernie, on his Nighttime Delight Time program, saying that "Nighttime was the right time to be with the one you love" as only he could. He stretched out the word "love".

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 431
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lee Alan On the Horn...the Cream of the Crop Until 12 O'Clock! And watch how you drive that automobile...Don't ya dare turn it into a couple thousand pounds of deadly weapon.

Don Zee...two E's if You Please.

Martha Jean the Queen...shoutin' out to all her workers.

Frantic Ernie Durham.

Tom Clay and Dave "The Ugly Little" Prince.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Devil in the Red Dress, I think Danielle.
Good old Z Rock, still got my dog chain (it was cool when I was in high school)

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could we forget Liz Copeland?!

Or Magic Mike?

I second Jeff Mills, Mojo, and Teresa Hill!

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 891
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldestuff....
....You're of course talking about Sangoo from Broadcastle House. Liked Joey Reynolds too, and really liked his "Big Girls Don't Cry" theme done by the Four Seasons.....

I had the pleasure of meeting Tom Shannon at an Art Vuolo party nearly 15 years ago. Wonderful gentleman with some great stories. If you want to feel really old, Tom discusses his theme, "Wild Weekend" here....

http://www.staffannouncer.com/blog

scroll down to the piece on Tom Shannon at WKBW, Buffalo....

(Message edited by douglasm on July 26, 2007)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4472
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still say Jeff "The Wizard" Mills was the one...

*reminiscing of the Saturday Night House Party*

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, did you even read my first post? I been around, and let's leave it at that. And yes, I saw that Tigers/White Sox game on TV. It's not "publicity" that the second game couldn't be played because the field was trashed.

Your responses make absolutely no sense. Dahl might have been interesting as first, but then he started to buy into his own BS. If he's so f-ing great in your eyes, why didn't he go national?

To me, a great DJ speaks TO his/her audience, not AT them. I got the feeling that Dahl thought he was better than his listeners, especially later as his popularity grew.

Whatever. I've got better things to do than argue about second-rate DJ's with you.

At least we agree about Penhallow:-)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo,

You seem to be stuck on the stoner DJs.

So many greats from the generation before that; Robin Seymour, Scott Regen, Frantic Ernie Durham, Tom Shannon, Martha Jean the Queen, Lee Alan ...

From the "stoner" generation: Dave Dixon, Jerry Lubin.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ELECTRIFYING MOJO. Played what he wanted to play. Mixed it up with Hendrix -Pfunk-Stones. He would be on a roll playing funk and slip in a Hendrix tune.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lee Alan on the horn. My old 45 sleeve:

http://www.detroitradiolegends.com/

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed Love, love his voice and insite.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked with Jerry Lubin at the post office in the early 90's. He said you either made peanuts or a lot of money in radio depending on who you were and where you were.
Karen Savelly is still on radio I think. She was one of the first rock gals. Had her in a Italian novel class down at Wayne State. She smoked in class and drank coke back in the 70's.

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radio, Rude Jude Angelini on Sirius 45.

Real DJ, Houseshoes.

Offical_birdbath
Username: Offical_birdbath

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don Alcorn

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Applesauce, anyone who was a fan probably has a cassette or two stashed somewhere. I know I do (somewhere).

Anyone know whatever happened to the Electrifying One? Where is he now?

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 432
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Birdbath...
whatever happened to Alcorn? He was a personable DJ who hopped around various FM stations.