Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Small Plates finally opening a second location « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After many fits and starts, Small Plates has finally leased out a spot on Main in Royal Oak. I saw the sign up yesterday evening.

It appears they have finally resolved the issue of getting a liquor license.

It's good to see someone expanding these days.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What store front are they in? Where Gelato Roma used to be, or where that diner was supposed to be but never happened?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to mention this - I just had lunch in RO and saw it.

Royal Oak is shaping up to be quite the little urban center - and glad to see businesses expanding in the state.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great. I love their theme. I took my brother there last month when I was in Detroit. <313>

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 409
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The storefront is on the West side of main I don't remember exactly where.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just south of Starbucks and north of Astoria.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curse RO! I was hoping for Novi but I know it's still considered the hinterlands.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i really like small plates, my fav restaurant to go to in downtown. sort of pissed that royal oak gets a location.

wish they were only in the "d"

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 476
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are they going to be where mongolian bbq used to be, then? because i think that is the only vacant store front in that general location...

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just left RO, is just north of Mongolian BBQ.

Jacaden
Username: Jacaden

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neighbor will be that Chip N' Dale popcorn joint.

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former Rumors's bar?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the former Mongolian BBQ site.

The Rumors building has been demo'd. I'm not sure what the plans are for it.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice expansion plans!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007706060403

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, is there still a BD's Mongolian BBQ in Royal Oak?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, what happened to it (BD's)?

initially they were looking at renovating the old bank structure now attached to the sky lofts. that was over 4 years ago. seems like they've been trying to get into royal oak for a long time...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9778
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting blurb in the article:

quote:

At the same time, the downtown location will almost double its capacity by expanding into the second floor with a separate bar and space for private events -- a feature the 70-seat restaurant hasn't been able to offer for lack of space.

I hope that pays off for them. They took a risk 3-4 years ago. I am happy that they made it work and are being rewarded for their efforts.

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Mongolian BBQ just moved a block south, into the Skylofts building. The new location seems smaller than the Small Plates site.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"initially they were looking at renovating the old bank structure now attached to the sky lofts. that was over 4 years ago. seems like they've been trying to get into royal oak for a long time.."

Metals In Time renovated the bank structure and has already moved in.

Rsa

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

were they in the old cinderella's attic location before that? [can you tell it's be quite a while since i've been to RO?]

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, they were accross the street (4th street I believe) on the same side of Main. On the corner. Is that where Cinderella's Attic was? I'm not sure. Metals In Time had been there for awhile.

Rsa

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure. maybe it was second? it was on the corner, the next block up from BD's. it was there for a while. cinderella's got booted during the big banishing of long term stores (around the turn of the century).

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cinderella's Attic was there, then Metals in Time, and now it's a cell phone place.

The gourmet popcorn (lame) place is already out of business, which should surprise nobody. Did anyone really think gourmet popcorn could sustain any longevity? I was bummed when they opened, as it seemed like a waste of prime retail space. I'm glad it went tits up.

Any word on that Manhattans pizza place next to Woody's on Fifth? Or what is going in at the old Rumors location?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The store is out of business, but the business itself is not.

http://www.daleandthomaspopcor n.com/

I thought it was silly too. And 8 bucks for a bag of popcorn!?!?! Come on.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before Cinderella's it was Off the Record.

Rsa

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx guys. susana; was that before they moved over to washington street? i'm pretty bummed that there's no independant record stores in RO anymore.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brendan Benson of The Raconteurs used to work there.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, it was Off the Record before they moved to the much larger Washington Street location. They moved into the Dave's Comics or the Patti Smith location, can anyone else remember?

Then he added the Michigan Toy Solider shop in the back. Then he was raided for illegal bootlegs. Then he closed that store and now operates Michigan Toy Solider on 11 mile.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Yeah, I miss those illegal bootlegs. Remember, they had the pink and blue xerox covers.

Rsa

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ohhh; is that what happened to him? i always wondered. i just thought it was the typical obscene rent inflation scenario. it was the patti smith location, right on the corner. dave's was next door. and at the same time for a bit, if memory serves. i miss that store too. ahhhh the good old days...

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Popcorn place is still open was in there thursday night. My buddy drives to RO just to get it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.