Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Buick ties Lexus for #1 spot « Previous Next »
Archive through August 10, 2007Buyamerican30 08-10-07  11:43 am
Archive through August 11, 2007Buyamerican30 08-11-07  11:34 pm
Archive through August 13, 2007Mikie30 08-13-07  7:23 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Notice everytime BuyAmerican makes his cliched statments about the economy 3 people come on with stronger, more sound, legitimate excuses to counterpoint him."

And another 3 people come on who agree with him wholeheartedly.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Johnlodge. This subject has become very trying to me because I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. We all must agree to disagree. The ones who are staunch supporters of purchasing foreign will learn soon what the ramifications of their deeds will lead to in America. It's not the sole responsibility of the people who are buying foreign, but it's a large part of the problem.
I consider myself fortunate that I will be able to live out the rest of my life and never purchase a foreign automobile.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican,
It is a very frustrating situation with the auto industry issues. However, its larger than just the auto industry, but it seems the auto industry is brought to forefront just like so many other times in the past. The combination of arrogance and ignorance regarding the consequences of economic purchases is a sad aspect of contemporary America.

An increasingly larger segment of the population in Southeast Michigan either fails to understand the multiplier effect of economics or they feel immune from it. One can draw parallels between the mentality of the Big 3 auto company bean counters(I'm sorry, accountants)with the nickel and dime nonsense prevalent during the 1970's and 1980's on quality issues that resulted in extremely expensive recalls and/or lawsuits, and consumers deciding that because a certain Detroit auto company vehicle doesn't fit every personal wish despite the quality improvements, they will choose to purchase a Toyota, Honda, Kia, Volkswagen, etc.

After spending the 15-30k on the new Asian or European vehicle I have heard these same people proceed to complain about the inability to sell their $210k home because of the economy. In both instances the bean counters and consumers made "excellent" choices. The consumer would rather risk the $210k home investment purchasing a $25k vehicle that does not enhance the investment because of what they read in Consumer Reports. Unfortunately, we are living the consequences of so many poor decisions its disgusting. No, I have never worked for the Big 3, nor any supplier. However, I realize that I am not immune from the positive or negative economic choices of others.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikie as I said compare a 5-10 yr old lexus to a similar aged buick; you will see how superior parts (lexus)last longer. I don't know of any long term studies that show buick having the same long term quality as lexus......but then to repeat no car does. A 1998 lexus ls400 has fewer repair and quality issue than a similar 2006 mercedes.Lexus for better or worse, for their derivative unimaginative styling builds the best quality car on the planet. I do give buick credit.Buick has always had a rep for good quality.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U.S. Car Companies Rank Well Among Experts
By: Herb Denenberg, The Bulletin
08/06/2007

I've always rooted for the American car manufacturers for a lot of reasons. Perhaps the most important is that I think we need a strong auto industry as a matter of national defense. I also think the auto industry makes important contributions to our staying on the technological cutting edge, a position we better maintain if we want to maintain our competitive position in a global economy and a position also essential to national defense.
For those reasons, I was happy to see some of the findings of a classic car buying guide, the 27th edition of Jack Gillis's The Car Book (for 2007). It is one of the few comprehensive treatments on virtually all aspects of the car-buying decision. Gillis works with the Center for Auto Safety, headed by Clarence Ditlow, the nation's leading independent authority on auto safety.
The first thing I noted was his 46 "Best Bets for 2007." Fifteen of the 46 were American nameplates, ahead of the 13 for Japan and nine each for Germany and Korea.

http://www.thebulletin.us/site /news.cfm?newsid=18667921&BRD= 2737&PAG=461&dept_id=576361&rf i=6

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear in mind that parts and labor for some foreign cars is going to be way more expensive. Especially older vehicles. I had a used Honda Prelude when I was younger, and was shocked at the price every time I had to buy a simple part for it. So even if you have less repairs, you may find yourself paying more in repairs than if you owned a domestic vehicle. It's called "cost of ownership", and some sites can estimate it for you.

Also I find the 5-10 year argument pretty humorous, since most people purchasing a new car will own it for about 3, then trade it in for another new car, and the car will be under warranty the entire time. If you are buying a used car, or hanging onto a car for 10 years, you'll probably find cost of ownership much more expensive for the foreign vehicle (depending on the make).

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

US car companies improve ranking among consumers

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070814/AUTO01/708140387/1148&imw=Y

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not surprised Buick's # 1.

I put over 130k on my '79 "Deuce and Quarter" before rust ate her up a decade ago.

Other than bad rear brakes and water pump, my '95 Regal GS was a great ride. I sold her to a co-worker's daughter with 125k and she's still running strong.

I dunno, but I can't picture Robert Mitchum or Johnny Cash in a Lexus, maybee some post-ironic poof crying into his I-Phone though.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11658
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Safety probe of Lexus widens, unintended acceleration. At least the interior panels probably aren't rattling. LOL

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070815/BUSINES S01/708150373

Citylover

Post Number: 2560
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The silly thing is sport by linking the article you lose credibility.

There is, so far , nothing to indicate a fault with the car. There may be something wrong with the car but so far nothing conclusive_ the article even points out that in a majority of scenarios like this it is driver error_ nice try though.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I said compare a 5-10 yr old lexus to a similar aged buick; you will see how superior parts (lexus)last longer.

The parts in my 9 year old Buick seem to have lasted just fine. The only broken plastic on the whole thing was due to my own stupidity when I stuck a piece of wood trim through it. I don't blame that on inferior parts.

Now I definitely would NOT say my Buick is as luxurious as a Lexus, but at a 1/3 the original cost...I wouldn't expect it to be. I just don't agree with the whole "our plastic is better than your plastic" argument.

Bigb
Username: Bigb

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone. I am a long time lurker and this topic really got me going so I decided to post. I leased a 2004 Lexus Ls. Transmission would not shift out of third gear at around 10,000 miles, Moonroof began to leak around 14,000 miles, wheel well lining feel out around 20,000 miles, rear shocks needed replaced around 40,000 miles and by the time I returned it in April, the leather looked as if it was taken out of a 1998 Buick Regal. To make a long story short, nice interior, but problems you would not expect from a $55,000.00 vehicle. Especially the reputation Lexus has for quality. Their service department was great, but the problems I experienced turned me away just as many former "Big 3" customers migrated to other brands due to being "burned". In my opinion my new 2007 STS beats the Lexus in every category, including price, looks and performance.

Citylover

Post Number: 2562
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to recall Lexus having trans problesm with those ls430's around that time Bigb_ I understand your being turned off. Fortunately (for lexus)and fair or unfair lexus did not suffer much from that glitch in their cars and is still the best selling luxury car_ and they did correct the problem.

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bigb, welcome to the forum and thanks for your comments. I hope you enjoy your new STS! I currently have a 2005 CTS and I haven't experienced any problems and after 3 years it’s still a fun car to drive! I was thinking about getting the STS next but I want to compare it to the redesigned 2008 CTS before making a decision.

Bigb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Citylover, the issue did not affect them, but it was still enough to turn me away. I understand that a car is a machine and no machines are perfect, and Lexus did bend over backwards to make sure I was taken care of. The point I was trying to make is no vehicle is perfect. Another individual may never have experienced the issue I had with that particular model year. You can say the same for any make or model. Asian, German, Korean and American made vehicles all have a possibility of containing a defect. I harbor no particular bias towards either side, but it frustrates me to read comments from individuals who believe that American made vehicles are horrible and Asian brand are bulletproof.

Citylover

Post Number: 2563
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Understood bigb. How someone maintains a vehicle has so much to do with how long it will last and how many problems there might or might not be.The luxury car owner tends to take better care than most others.........as I said further up this thread there are several Lexus forums where one can find all kinds of gripes.....

Pffft

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BMW sedan has worst side crash rating -- this is with side airbags, too:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070816/ap_on_bi_ge/crash_tests_sedans

(Message edited by pffft on August 16, 2007)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2018
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The ones who are staunch supporters of purchasing foreign will learn soon what the ramifications of their deeds will lead to in America. It's not the sole responsibility of the people who are buying foreign, but it's a large part of the problem.
I consider myself fortunate that I will be able to live out the rest of my life and never purchase a foreign automobile.

Good for you, maybe if you would have purchased American TV Sets, Computers, Radios, Textiles, etc, others would be a little more compassionate towards your little plight that you continue to think makes the world spin.

Still waiting on the Construction trades price freeze of the 70s to be paid back in full, all to help the UAW and the car companies who returned to full pay + more in less than a year while others continued to be pressured to help out.

Buy American for you and few others, what a shame you didn't think about that before.

BTW, here is a little sobbering list for you all:

The amount of American Industries no longer based in America:

Sound recording industries - 97%
Commodity contracts dealing and brokerage - 79%
Motion picture industries - 75%
Metal ore mining - 65%
Wineries and distilleries - 64%
Database, directory, and other publishers - 63%
Book publishers - 63%
Cement, concrete, lime, and gypsum product - 62%
Rubber product - 53%
Nonmetallic mineral product manufacturing - 53%
insurance related activities - 51%
Boiler, tank, and shipping container - 50%
Glass and glass product - 48%
Coal mining - 48%

Where was the outcry then. Those all represent jobs lost, but no tears were shed then, why should they shed tears for you know.

(Message edited by _sj_ on August 16, 2007)

Buyamerican

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sj_, obviously you're one of the "buy foreign" supporters. I'm sure tears were shed and there was a huge outcry when any jobs were lost. I don't know where you got your statistics, it would be nice for you to post exactly from who and from where you got them. I make it a point to buy American whenever I can. It is getting harder and harder to find anything "made in America" that supports Americans, I agree. I research a product very extensively before purchasing one. If I can't purchase American because it's not available, then an alternative product will have to suffice. Americans still have choices about what automobile they purchase. There are well over 300 models that American car manufacturers build and out of those 300, I can find an affordable, dependable car. You have a right to purchase whatever you wish, it's your decision.
I still say and will continue to believe that the economy has suffered the most since the American auto industry has declined. I don't like that America is outsourcing many jobs to foreign countries and I don't like it that they are moving to foreign countries. I don't like it that I have to push "1" for English when I call a company here in the U.S.
I'm not asking you to shed tears for me sj, it's America I'm concerned about. I live here, I don't want to give the whole store away, do you?
WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!
OUT OF A JOB YET...KEEP BUYING FOREIGN.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I purchased a Chevrolet Aveo and so far it seems like a damned good, efficient little car. I sure hope it will run forever! I do try to buy American, Buyamerican...I hear what you're saying, loud and clear.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't imagine why anybody would attack the message of "try to buy American". I can only assume guilt, a need to rationalize the fact that they don't, and could care less.

I assume they plan to move to China, once America has become a land of unemployed poverty.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 588
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guilt my ass...and I am not saying that I would never buy American....just not right now.

I'm the type of buyer where I don't want to drive something that every body and their mother drives. I have watched the cycle. A new vehicle comes out...like the Commander..very attractive vehicle. Everyone starts buying it....then it becomes on the top list of most stolen vehicles.

I like to drive vehicles where there are few on the road...no one wants to steal them because there is no high demand for the parts.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, thanks for the support Johnlodge and you too, Margaret.
Bratt... Most new cars today are just about impossible to steal. Nowadays, carjackers are going one step further to get the car, and that's by walking up to the driver at a gas station and just getting in and driving off. They do this because the anti-theft devices on the cars make it hard to break into and start up. I have a 2007 Chrysler and it's virtually impossible for someone to steal it unless they tow it...even then the alarm goes off. Also, it's in the garage at night.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 281
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing is I have been mentioning stuff like this in most my posts and no one has paid attention. I guess someone read one of mine or put one up of their own accord. Like I said the quality in most the american car's isn't there anymore. It's there in some, but when you compare chevy to a toyota it's like comparing apples to oranges. I know someone is gonna say"I know of all the re-calls toyota has). What about all the re-calls GM, Ford & Chyrsler have put out...it probably out-weighs the import market. Let's face it the reason's why their really isn't many plants here for the Big 3 is because of A.) how much they where paying these workers and they weren't keeping up with the quality. B.) The Big 3 realized it's cheaper to pay someone overseas cheaper to build there cars, but still not pass that cost they saved to the american public(Whats funny is when I hear them close a plant but most of the higher ups keep their jobs and really never take a signifigant pay cut) C.) The workers got to lazy...take to many breaks a day(aka smoke breaks) I have a friend who works at the Chrysler plant in Sterling Height and he warned me not to buy a car from them built on Monday or Tuesday. Sh-- you can keep that GM 100,000 mile warranty and shove it somewhere were the sun don't shine and whatever other warranty these american car's offer. Yeah Buick had a good quality score but that was back a a few yrs. Speaking of quality I work for OnStar....ive seen that quality in the OnStar unit, onstar unit's that quit working, plus the whole analog mess. The hands free calling stinks, the voice recognition still has issues, it has improved some. But let's face it, unless they Big 3 can turn themselves around and start producing car's like the one poster mentioned that people want....thing's aren't going to change. Also I have gone out of state..most people out of this state/area don't really drive much of the Big 3 vehicles anymore. Call me a whiner, complainer, someone who just likes the imports more...but like I said when you draw it all out, the fact;s are there.

Bigb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will you please share these facts with us?

Pffft

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, you want his facts about the Big 3 and "there car's"?

I need to take a course in grammar to re-immunize myself after reading CPU's posts.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"most people out of this state/area don't really drive much of the Big 3 vehicles anymore."

Thats because they build non- big 3 cars out of state.Last time I was down south in the rural areas, I was at first shocked that there were so many Nissans and Toyotas. Then I realized....They have plants down there.A lot of owners probably have a cousin or something working there.

_sj_

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

sj_, obviously you're one of the "buy foreign" supporters.

Actually no, but I believe that people can only purchase what they can afford and no one should make them feel bad about it. If they can only afford a KIA, then so be it. There is nothing wrong with that.

quote:

I don't like that America is outsourcing many jobs to foreign countries and I don't like it that they are moving to foreign countries.

I don't either, but when a hot button issue such as outsourcing takes hold it becomes a monster that just isn't true. We have lost more jobs to technology advancements than outsourcing, but yet every person you met from janitors to white collar workers have lost their jobs to outsourcing. I wouldn't be surprised to see jobs lost to racism at a higher clip than outsourcing.

quote:

I'm not asking you to shed tears for me sj, it's America I'm concerned about. I live here, I don't want to give the whole store away, do you?

But you are asking/telling people they are guilty if they don't buy American and to many they may feel the urge to give the American Car Companies a big FU either due to shabby cars, greedy workers, lost jobs, cash flow, etc.

Do we need to return to the days of people assaulting foreign tourists & our own citizens like we saw in the 80s, because that is what will happen when these hot button topics take such a hold on people.

The Big Three will never return to their glory days that they once enjoyed. It will never happen, the playing field will never get any more even with the other companies, it is time to refine yourself and compete in todays market not the market of yesterday. The rest of World has evolved and the United States no longer has a monopoly.

This is not the 40/50/60s anymore were we enjoyed growth never seen because we were one of the only countries not focused on rebuilding but expanding.

One thing that could help solve a lot of ills, and it has nothing to do with wages. Is to eliminate employee subsidy pricing on cars. A non employee can not find the true price of a car in a market dominated by car manufacturing. Those people have to deal with all these little fees that increase their overall cost anywhere from 1k to 10k on a car and that sometimes push people away to the foreign brands who do not have all this BS when it comes to pricing.

Buying American is not that easy for many people and to many they don't care what drives America but what drives them to work.

Also many who struggle day to day to survive do not want to see articles in the paper about the UAW striking for more money, benefits, PC, Cell Phones, etc. when they can't get the money together to keep the bills paid.

Backlash has been created over the past few decades and it will take even longer to earn that trust back to many people, some the wounds may just be too deep.

(Message edited by _sj_ on August 17, 2007)

Buyamerican

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that many years ago you'd never find a foreign automobile in the South, every person either had a Chevy pick-up or a Cadillac or something that was built in and around Detroit. Mainly because in the 40's, many Southerners came up to Michigan to work in the auto plants when jobs were plentiful and their family supported them by BUYING AMERICAN!
Now, all of them have retired and either left Michigan or died. The younger generation has no loyalty to Michigan OR the U.S., as noted by Bratt, CPU, and a few others here. CPU, your statement about not buying a car on Mondays or Tuesdays because of a "so called" friends advice is just another myth.

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lexus? I would like to take a few weeks off my job and be a Lexus salesperson so that I could find out what sort of person would actually spend the insane amounts that Lexus charges for a car. Sure, they seem like nice cars, but $70,000? or more?

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 977
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy American!

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wahhh you don't like my spelling...who gives a crap....this a forum on the internet...I just love it when people decide to whine and whine about one misspelled word. Buy American...HAHAHA......Just remember where some of your steel comes from.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wahhh you don't like my spelling...who gives a crap....this a forum on the internet...I just love it when people decide to whine and whine about one misspelled word.

Still no excuse. We aren't a bunch of teenagers chatting on AIM. And CPU, you never know who is watching you on this forum...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPU's favorite thing to do is put apostrophe's on plural word's. Like car's and thing's. But hey, he ain't need no grammar.

Pffft

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not "spelling" CPU, it's something we all know as "grammar."

Yes CPU like's to use lot's of plural word's so he can drive us all nut's with his apostrophe's.

This is your all-purpose grammar rule du jour CPU. WHEN IN DOUBT, LEAVE IT OUT.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 287
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh'Rlly'!!! You people have no life...Let me guess your one of these oh' so' elite people who get off when their grammar is wrong. If you don't want that problem no more. I suggest adding a spell check to the forum. Problem solved, push to get it added and maybe less incidents like this will happen. I did suggest a forum upgrade, but everyone here is so f'in elitist narcosistic grammar nazis or whatever don't want change.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The forum does have a spell check. You know when you preview your post, and everything is highlighted in yellow? Yeah, that means they're spelled wrong.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 290
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes....but it doesn't fix it.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwww.

www.dictionary.com

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 291
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quit being so emo... and here's the definition for yah'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E mo_(slang)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 555
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please kep up the bantar bout gramer and spellling. Maybee one off you shud start a thraed bout it. This is gud intertanement.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPU, let me assure you that I have a life. And I am definitely not an elitist. So, what other excuses do you have?

Buyamerican

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened??? I'm off for a few days and all hell breaks loose!!!

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!
OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drive your american car, made with chinese made steel, parts made in mexico, canada & who know's where else. You really can't say it's an american made automobile anymore, even if it is enginered or designed by someone from the big three. Look at Saturn's new models, they where made over in Europe. There goes the originality out the door like the failed SSR & GTO.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohh forgot one more, Plymouth Prowler.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if Detroit can convince the coasts that Big 3 is better quality, ie: long run cheaper, they can get the market share back! bottom line.

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an interesting link to a market research study that was conducted recently. It shows that people’s perceptions make a big difference, rather then the actual quality ratings.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingt ires/2007/07/whats-in-a-bran.h tml

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BuyAmerican, it's great that you support Margaret and her Korean-made Daewoo (Chevy Aveo).

It amazes me that Chevy's tiny "economy car" can't even get 30 mpg in city driving. OK, let's all embrace mediocrity -- but that's fine, just as long as it's American (or has a American nameplate).

Pffft

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of mediocrity, Fury, the Yaris hasn't done so well in reviews, eh?

_sj_

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

if Detroit can convince the coasts that Big 3 is better quality, ie: long run cheaper, they can get the market share back! bottom line.

No they can't. They may gain and lose market share but they will never regain the market share they once had by being a Natural Monopoly.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.