Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Why is Detroit renting so anti dog? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 499
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been looking for a place with in a moderate range that I can keep my dog and maybe have a little space where she can go out without being leashed. My current lease is up in a month and I have been looking for about 8 months but still have not been able to find a place that will allow dogs. I know people are worried that if you have a dog it may be a pit bull but mine isn't she is just a lovable 50lb lab mix. Anyone else having trouble finding a place? I am a responsible renter who pays on time and keeps the property up. You wouldn't think it would be that hard.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rent a house.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 500
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats what I am currently doing but finding another house to rent besides the one I am currently in will run me much more than what I am already pay. I have a nice house in corktown but a landlord from hell. So I am looking to find a house preferably in midtown woodbridge or corktown for around the same price or even a flat with backyard access but everything is 1000 and up or doesn't allow dogs which makes it hard to find anything.

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on August 07, 2007)

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on August 07, 2007)

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You shouldn't keep a 50lb dog penned up in an apartment all day anyway.

If you can't afford a place with a yard you shouldn't have a dog.

I love dogs and I won't get one until I am in a house. Until then my cats will have to do.

and leash your dog before it gets hit by a car.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 559
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pets can do some serious damage and they often do. I've seen rental properties that needed all the carpet replaced, floorboards replaced, cabinets, screens, windows, doors and more due to pet inflicted damage. Why would a landlord want the extra liability when there are other potential renters? (Ones without pets)

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree J5, as a landlord I allow one neutered and declawed cat in my rentals. Dogs, never.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5652
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always say flip the table around and see how you would feel if you were a landlord. For all you know, the prospective renter has a dog but what's the dog's disposition? How well trained is the dog? Will the dog pee all over the place? Will the dog not howl and disturb my other tenants if it's a multi-unit place? While you might be a responsible renter- what about the 20 other ones out there with dogs that aren't? Is it worth your hassle as a landlord to refurb the place to another renter somewhere down the pipe? You as the landlord can only interview the prospective renter and take their word for their dog's behavior.

As much as I adore dogs and other animals I can clearly see where it's too much of a hassle for a landlord to rent to.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 501
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it very interesting because although I understand why people do it, I also have look at rentals in other cities that seem to be much more receptive to dogs such as chicago, columbus, and Toronto to name a few. Why is it that Detroit is so different in that regard? Why is it that options are so limited if you do not have a couple thousand to shell out for a rental property instead of buying?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1539
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yo man look for doug hixon he rents the audrey and crozier and allows dogs in woodbridge

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check out the renaud on 491 w. hancock. it's exactly what you're looking for. fenced in yard, dogs allowed, free heat.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's tough when you're a landlord looking for tenants who are financially responsible. I own three condos in Utah. They are operated by a management company. No cats, No Dogs, No pets of any kind and above all, No smoking. I've had one guy who's paid me $1200 per month for two years----never late. He begged me to rent the place even though he smokes---but always smokes outside. It was a 24 month lease with the Management Company having the option to inspect the condo every three months with 48 hour notice. Hardly any trace of smoke. The only hint probably from his clothing. I'm happy. Smoke odor is easier to get out that cat urine and dogs have a tendency to tear things up.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 798
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend in Haslett in a 2 bedroom apt. with a Masstif and a puggle. The puggle isn't so much the problem. Besides the dogs not having enough space there is slobber everywhere!

(Message edited by adamjab19 on August 08, 2007)

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Larry Johns in Woodbridge rents to people with dogs.

ALso, tell your landlord you will bring the dog to daycare everyday! www.caninetofivedetroit.com

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, right!

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Afraid Mike Vick will be murdering pitbulls is probably your answer....

Oilcan_harry
Username: Oilcan_harry

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One steadily increasing problem is, liability insurance.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 593
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know of a moderately priced condo for rent in the New Center Area in the DYES classifieds that allows dogs ;) I also happen to own the place.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.