Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » First Unitarian Universalist For Sale? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Ma inSite/Listing/Search/SearchRe sults.aspx?linkcode=13880

Preview Not Available
First Unitarian Universalist
Detroit, MI

8,000 SF 3 story Victorian design mansion built in 1891. Registered on the state and the national historic register. 18,000 SF Social Hall built...
Price: $1,650,000
Bldg. Size: 31,929 SF
Cap Rate: N/A
Primary Type: Office Building

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5673
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rectory??

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, it looks like the whole thing. I am not a member so I can't seem to get the listing to post if anyone else can please do.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I think I have it the link now
http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/Ma inSite/Listing/Profile/Profile .aspx?LID=14743592

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4058
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that would be the house -- http://www.detroityes.com/webi sodes/2000/01beautiful_light/0 01212-08uni_house.htm

Famous co-op house. We had our wedding reception there.

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sad... I was married in the sanctuary and had my wedding reception in the house. My parents too. I grew up going to the church and our religious education classes were on the 2nd floor of the house. It's so beautiful. What a loss, but I know the congregation has been dwindling for many years. I have very fond memories.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's the house and the social hall, not the church itself. it's been listed since at least september. the congregation does not need that much space anymore, nor can they afford to keep it up.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 286
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At that price, I imagine it will be on the market for a long, long time. Similar houses in similar shape aren't selling for a third of that price, or less, so I don't see anyone jumping on it soon.

Unless, of course, it's priced for purchase only by WSU but from what I'm hearing, WSU won't be looking to acquire property any time soon as it freezes spending and raises tuition.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 318
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the asking price is not just for the circa 1893, 8,000 sq. ft. house, it is also the 18,000 sq. ft. attached social hall, so the price may not be that extreme.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2417
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The McAdow House is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Michigan Historic Marker: http://www.michmarkers.com/pag es/L0497.htm

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if an 18,000 sq. ft. social hall is worth over a million dollars, which would assume the house is worth the rest, I wish I had two of them to sell. That's a generous size estimate, too, in my opinion, and probably includes the basement. I wouldn't be surprised to learn of a typo that combine the house and social hall's square footage.

There's plenty for sale in the Cass Corridor in similar size, condition, and with similar pedigree for a lot, lot less.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.