Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Convienience( ?) fee for paying Property Tax online. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5658
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading over my property tax bill, I found this little gem.

quote:

Current amounts due may be paid at http://www.detroitmi.gov/egov or by calling 1-800-2pay-tax (800-272-9829) code#3279. The credit card processor charges a three percent (3%) convenience fee for this service.

1. Why?

2. Does this strike you as an outrageous amount to pay for "convenience"?

3. Most importantly, WHO gets that 3%

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd agree. There are companies that contract that work from tax agencies. My suggestion is just pay it on time and to Wayne County (if I am not mistaken they are the agency responsible for collection these days, mind you things change).

It seems that the rate charged for late fees would be less.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is high. Don't CC companies charge retailers 3% when they use credit cards?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ding ding. The government is passing along what the CC companies charge them directly to you, because they don't want to give you an easier way to pay your tax bills that ends up costing them money.

Nothing shady about it.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct!! And what’s even worse is points cards. The CC companies take even more of a % and then give what they, essentially stole, from the business (above 3%, generally) back to you. Also bet you didn’t know that it is illegal by Visa and Mastercard to for a business charge a minimum!! I get this all the time, "you have to spend $10.00." Well, were playing by their rules—go figure.

I will give credit where it is due--you know who you are...

But honestly I don't think most people know this.

(Message edited by rfban on August 07, 2007)

Jams

Post Number: 5659
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I got it.

They'll get my check.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1785
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried paying my Comcast bill through their automated phone service a few months ago like I normally do, but the service was down....so I spoke to a customer service rep and asked if I could pay my bill through her...she said I could, but there would be a $5 convenience charge...

So I asked her, "Let me get this straight. I can't pay my bill the way I normally do because YOUR bill paying service is down, and yet you want to charge me a $5 "convenience charge" for the inconvenience of having to wait on hold to speak to you just to pay your company money?"

Her reply: "That's correct sir."

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^oh brother

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9750
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I tried paying my Comcast bill through their automated phone service a few months ago like I normally do, but the service was down....so I spoke to a customer service rep and asked if I could pay my bill through her...she said I could, but there would be a $5 convenience charge...

So I asked her, "Let me get this straight. I can't pay my bill the way I normally do because YOUR bill paying service is down, and yet you want to charge me a $5 "convenience charge" for the inconvenience of having to wait on hold to speak to you just to pay your company money?"

Her reply: "That's correct sir."

I believe that is referred to as Comtastic.

Trying_2_stay
Username: Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner said to pay your bill on time, that is the site to pay on time. If you were paying late those payments that are unpaid as of February 28 become delinquent and can no longer be made using this site. To pay delinquent taxes, go to the Wayne County Treasurer’s Web site at www.treasurer.waynecounty.com. They also charge a fee for paying online but a small one.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the site to pay on time is called writing a check and sending it in on time.

It is a convenience to pay by credit card at the last second. CC companies charge merchants a fee on transactions. The government doesn't want to offer you a way to pay your taxes which costs them money.

Solution? Don't pay with a CC. The government isn't the only "business" to be run this way. I forget where I ran into this before (maybe it was Comcast for me too) but this is fairly common. Also, this is why you can't use CC at the Secretary of State, which is irritating for those of us who haven't carried a checkbook since 1999.

Jams

Post Number: 5668
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand, I'll pay my ATT bill online, but the $3.95 for DTE payments, nah, they'll get a check in the mail.

BTW I don't pay with a credit card, but with a debit card, Hell, try paying with cash. Now that is a real bitch.

(Message edited by Jams on August 07, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.