Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » I propose a group effort to REALLY compare metro detroit food prices « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 499
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guys - I was recently in honey bee and bought, among other things, some limes... now, these limes were 12 for a dollar... this is UNGODLY inexpensive, if you are unaware... there is always talk on here about how no store in the city of detroit offers cheap enough prices on quality food (most recently debated on the "new grocer eying midtown/brushpark..." thread)... I propose something here, to once and for all disprove/prove this point... what if the next time anyone on here is out at their grocer of choice, they mark some prices down... and record, via google maps the exact mileage of the grocer from campus martius (downtown)... I'm curious... if everyone is so eager beaver about going out to meijer (on gratiot in roseville!?) is it REALLY worth it after you account for gas and wear on your car? ($.42/$.45 per mile according to the feds, right?) here are the rules:

mark the prices on these basic staple items:

- 6 gala apples
- 1 gallon milk
- 1 loaf "wonder" type bread
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 box 12 eggs
- 1 head iceberg lettuce

-- if something doesn't look "fresh," note that...

-- record the exact distance from campus martius (300 woodward, detroit, michigan)

(i selected these things i listed above (milk, eggs, etc...) because they will be easy to find everywhere - and thus compare...)

who's gonna be first? come on, let's AT LEAST get harbortown, university, honey bee, tomboy, marcus market, food pride, former farmer jacks on jefferson, meijers, walmarts, + krogers galore...

(Message edited by andylinn on August 07, 2007)

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 757
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great idea

I bet you'll find that prices aren't all that drastically different between any of the places, besides the obviously more expensive Whole Foods, and the best alternative is to shop at a market closest to your location.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For starters, it is now $3.99 for a gallon of milk at university.
This is ungodly expensive. I walked to CVS just to get milk after that.
Last I remember, you could get a gallon of milk for half that at Kroger.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's $2.50 for milk over at Dequindre and 11.5 mile next to universal mall... Eggs are $2, cage-free.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White bread was going to ruin your hipster image? On this forum?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 503
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i really don't want a thread jacking here. no ill meant, i'm sorry if i offended anybody. i just wanted to begin a group study. i edited the original post. let's just do the project, eh?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whiter the bread quicker you're dead

Bumble

Post Number: 283
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that's the case, this place is doomed.

I bought a bag of fujis at University the other day. They were reasonable. The milk isn't and they're often out of the smallest size.

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for comparative purposes:
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/su rveymost?ap

-spiff

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best prices close to downtown is Food Pride on Warren by 75. It's not the best grocery store, but they have been making a lot of improvements over the last year (all new produce section, etc).

I usually buy my vegetables, fruits, meats, etc. at Eastern Market, then hit Food Pride for the other groceries.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9756
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing wrong with food pride but they need to clean up the entrance way. The store is nice in my opinion but the first impression at the doorway/entrance is just nasty.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I agree Jt1, it could use some tender loving care for sure!!!.. but, like I said, they have done some clean up inside the store lately... a lot nicer than it was a couple years ago... if only they realized their potential and, like you said, made the entrance a little more inviting, they could draw a ton more business.

By the way... it's 2.5 miles from Campus Martius (mainly eway).

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 502
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I addressed the milk issue with the stock room manager at Ufoods and he tried to tell me that they were only making 12 cents off each gallon and that the price of milk was going up everywhere right now. So they were just following the trend. I know all the managers there pretty well and have lobbied them for things that the community feels are unreasonable and they generally either try to give me some justification or an adjustment. I will see what I can do. Having the price of milk from other grocers around will help me get the price reduce there so list at least the price of milk from other stores and that will help me get it reduced. I will also try to talk to them about making the smaller sized milk more readily available bumble.

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on August 09, 2007)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 503
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070624/BUS INESS06/706240589
Supposedly this is the reason for the hike.

Trying_2_stay
Username: Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I'd like to find out is who owns these non large chain stores. It seems to me that most of these stores are Middle Eastern owned. I go to a store at 9 mile and Ryan that is clean and fast, every line is open. My problem is that they have these "2 for" sales, that if you don't pay attention you end up paying more for the stuff. You think you're getting a deal when you're really not. Except on the milk, their milk is gallon size "3 for $5 including chocolate". And I hear they are taking over the Farmer Jacks in that area that is closing.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 504
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.farmworldonline.com /news/ArchiveArticle.asp?newsi d=4540
So I guess the stock manager might be right at U foods, None the less I will try to get them to come down on the price.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm willing to bet Ufoods has much higher other costs than suburban stores - insurance, theft loss, it's not a chain so they don't have as much buying power, etc. that squeeze their margin and force higher prices.

Insurance is higher but the other side of that coin is theft rate/loss rate is also very high compared to the suburbs.

Bumble

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say that I thought milk was any more reasonable anywhere else, so I'm not busting on University Foods per se. Beating them out of twelve cents seems silly to me.

I've found that the prices there compare well to prices elsewhere. Meijer has generally higher prices on the items I buy, for example.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 505
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know your not bumble its just that for the price of milk was 2.99 a couple months ago and I found the jump of 33 percent quite suprising.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.