Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » I wonder how many of these people were 'lazy Detroiters' « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9737
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070806/BUSINES S/70806035/1003

quote:

More than 5,000 people applied for 300 new jobs at the Wal-Mart Supercenter that opens Wednesday in Livonia.

Methinks a big chunk of the applicants are those lazy Detroiters we always heara about. Those lazy bums that just don't want to work and have access to all the jobs in the world.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how many Detroiters actually got the jobs. Sarcasm doesn't solve a thing.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2153
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Warren Wal-Mart is of course Proof A.

"Methinks a big chunk of the applicants are those lazy Detroiters we always heara about. Those lazy bums that just don't want to work and have access to all the jobs in the world."

However, MAJOR stereotype. They could be the lazy suburbanites who just want to bitch about Detroiters coming out there to work and shop

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4054
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm willing to bet it was just a lot of good people who simply wanted a job.

My heart goes out to all of them. It must to be dispiriting to try to get a relatively low paying job and have so much competition show up. Good luck to them all.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4572
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urb....he was being sarcastic due to the rise in the forums troll population....

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's those lazy negras, always wantun ta com ta are naberhuud!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3639
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "official" unemployment figure erroneously emitted by the BLS generally holds around 175,000. There could easily be another 100,000 of discouraged job seekers who generally stopped looking or those working for peanuts but are way underemployed.

So, the fact of having 5000 fill out applications just points out how dire the unemployment is in metro Detroit. Besides, I doubt the demographics of those 5000 showed overwhelmingly that they came from Detroit. Just a hunch.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2154
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was being sarcastic as well, but we know how hard it is to read over the net

(Message edited by urbanize on August 06, 2007)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now if only livonia would wise up and add the smart bus to the ballot......oh wait for a minute i thought i was trainman

Jt1

Post Number: 9742
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder how many Detroiters actually got the jobs. Sarcasm doesn't solve a thing.

Actually it wasn't sarcastic. You even stated on a previous thread that there are jobs but the thug, criminal Detroit youth don't want them. This certainly illustrates the demand for the jobs are there but the jobs simply don't exist.

It is easy to dismiss people as lazy thugs until you see and know some that would do anything for an honest days pay for an honest days work. You can dismiss them by saying the jobs exist - this article shows how wrong you are. It is even more poignant that it is 5000 people showing up for 200 jobs at a company that notoriously pays low.

Laze, thugs my back side.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2157
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Yeah, mines wasn't either to be truthful. I meant what I said, I just wanted to satisfy the cause.

Jt1

Post Number: 9743
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY - Do you know the criteria for unemployment numbers. Is it only based upon the people that file for unemployment or are actively seeking jobs. It certainly seems that the number will always be skewed much lower but I don't know how the numbers are gathered.

The underemployed is a good point that is often overlooked.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9190
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only lazy anybodies were those who need a job but didn't bother to show up for these bonafide jobs.

Jt1

Post Number: 9747
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The only lazy anybodies were those who need a job but didn't bother to show up for these bonafide jobs.

I am in 100% agreement with Karl.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2159
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same here Karl.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3640
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The BLS figures must be pure nonsense in Michigan when considering that many of the "unemployed" (err... not unemployed according to the BLS) had their benefits terminated years ago. Many leave the state. Some (an unemployed spouse, perhaps, just stops looking after a while.

I know of engineers locally in their mid forties who haven't had any decent work for three years or more and even longer for some others.

The unemployed like that are not considered as unemployed in the BLS figures. The BLS simply takes their figures from the easy-to-ascertain sources--those reported by the states who receive unemployment for 26 weeks or so. However, many are still without jobs or work after those two seasons are over.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2562
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The BLS figures must be pure nonsense in Michigan when considering that many of the "unemployed" (err... not unemployed according to the BLS) had their benefits terminated...

The unemployed like that are not considered as unemployed in the BLS figures. The BLS simply takes their figures from the easy-to-ascertain sources--those reported by the states who receive unemployment for 26 weeks or so.

Not true. Not at all.

The BLS uses a survey instrument called the Current Population Survey. From the horse's mouth:
quote:

Where do the statistics come from?

Because unemployment insurance records, which many people think are the source of total unemployment data, relate only to persons who have applied for such benefits, and since it is impractical to actually count every unemployed person each month, the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940 when it began as a Work Projects Administration project. It has been expanded and modified several times since then. As explained later, the CPS estimates, beginning in 1994, reflect the results of a major redesign of the survey.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_faq .htm

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder about the ones that did show up with names on the application like, Tawanna, Rasheed, Temieka, Juaneka, Kareem, Ebony, Rashad, Javonne, etc....as opposed to Brad, Jason, Kristie, Laurie, Hector, Juan, Jesus etc.__go figure!

blksoul-atcha!

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9226
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It depends, Blksoul - could they talk?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3649
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More horse's mouth:
quote:

Is there a measure of underemployment?

Because of the difficulty of developing an objective set of criteria which could be readily used in a monthly household survey, no official government statistics are available on the total number of persons who might be viewed as underemployed. Even if many or most could be identified, it would still be difficult to quantify the loss to the economy of such underemployment.

Just because the BLS changed its questionnaire 13 years ago doesn't mean that it tracks unemployment much better.

I still hang onto my bias that the public sector is less competent than the private sector, and any study still needs to be adequately drafted and conducted. If the competency of our neighborhood's mailmen ( and women) are representative of the public sector, in general, we're doomed!

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon people, there are people of all races who are "lazy thugs" and people of all races (the majority) who are honest and hardworking. Let's hope the latter are the ones who got the WalMart jobs.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The only lazy anybodies were those who need a job but didn't bother to show up for these bonafide jobs."

Yeah, but simply showing up is the easy part. You need to keep that job once you've got it.

Getting pissed off at your boss for asking you to do something then running out the door knocking a bunch of shit over and screaming, "Where's my f-cking check?" puts you back in the lazy deadbeat category IMHO...

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot that today was their grand opening and went there to check it out and to buy a shower curtain. It took me 10 minutes just to get into the parking lot and another 10 to find a parking spot, the entire parking lot was jam-packed. I have never seen that many ppl shopping at one place in my life. All the registers were open and I still waited in line for a good 20 minutes...Leaving was the hard part... I spent 35 minutes just trying to leave the parking lot..They actually had to have a livonia cop directing traffic ( and leading ppl in directions that they did not want to go, lol).. I think I will wait a few weeks to go there again; by then things should be fairly normal.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyday low low prices for unemployed people, YAY!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.