Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Paving Belle Isle 2 [Pics] « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4051
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DBC parking lot gets a new blacktop. Signs of salvation or too valuable to ignore for Grand Prix parking?
dbc detroit
New bridge bypass completed.
Belle Isle Detroit

Belle Isle Detroit
Another Paddock? What is this for?
Belle Isle Detroit

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 491
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally have never been a fan of the grand prix on Belle Isle because of what happens to the Island because of it. Am I alone on this? I liked it more when I could go to the dentist as a kid in the fisher building and look down and watch it. Thoughts?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree man, the place is a joke with all the caged roads, i'm sick of this sports saving the city B.S. I just moved out of downtown because i was sick of the drunk assholes treating it like their playground . although i took my chevy aveo at full speed on the course, cautiously of course

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 492
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Olmstead designed the park to highlight its natural beauty and not focus on big attractions. I wish the city would implement more of the hamilton anderson master plan instead of paving over a quarter of the island.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will they use some of the Grand Prix money to re-open the aquarium?

Kahnman
Username: Kahnman

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dream on...

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 500
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

east detroit does have a point... it would be an interesting idea to add some small "belle isle" tax... (like $1-5 per ticket) to a belle isle fund... hmmm...

chitaku, can i come visit you at your new digs? it's under pmardo, right?

-andy

Username: 48202

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors:

Fisher building is 4 miles from downtown. I can't imagine that the view was that good.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was young but I am pretty sure I would see the grand prix when I was at the dentist maybe I was in some downtown building then It has been a while since the Prix was anywhere around thereat least 17 years ago at least.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broderick and Whitney had all the dentist offices. (in fact, if thats where you went your dental records are probably still laying around in the building)

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a kid, I also used to see Belle Isle from the Dentist's chair from Ferndale. I think it was the laughing gas.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go down to Belle Isle when I lived in Detroit. It seems that if they sold daily or annual stickers the Island could be revitalized to it's former glory.

I once heard a radio program where this was discussed with many residents claiming racism?

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that you could see the Grand Prix from the Fisher if you were talking about 1982 when the Grand Prix was running through downtown

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think that you could see the Grand Prix from the Fisher if you were talking about 1982 when the Grand Prix was running through downtown...but not Belle Isle

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a racing fan, but I could never agree with having car racing in a park.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You probably weren't in the Fisher Building or if you were you didn't see the Grand Prix. Maybe you saw some of that driving they're talking about over in the traffic law compliance thread. You probably wouldn't have seen much from the Whitney or Broderick Buildings either.

The F1 Grand Prixs downtown ran down Atwater to out behind the RenCen before heading up St. Antoine to Congress. From there it went down Beaubien to turn and head the wrong way down Larned before turning south again at Woodward. From there it turned onto Jefferson and then Washington before winding its way back down to Atwater.

About it on Belle Isle... I don't know. I'm sure they could have done a better job than they did. It seems they didn't care about spending any time or money on coming up with a better solution for the island. Maybe take some cues from Montréal and how they pushed the pits over to the side along a channel wall. Something a bit more unobtrusive like that may have been possible if they pushed the race up to the northeast end of the island.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the hands of the 'flower clock' on Belle Isle? Stolen by scrappers? Being refurbished by Roger Penske?

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors-You probably were witnessing the Mini Grand Prix which ran in the New Center Area about the time you mentioned.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks winstin that is exactly what it must have been. Any way what do you guys think should the Prix be on the island? wouldn't it make much more economic sense for it to be downtown supporting local business?

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some angry that Belle Isle will host race

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 795
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Wow, that's a huge slab of concrete.

I didn't realize they paved over that much.

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a huge fan of the Grand Prix and enjoy racing in general (open wheel mostly). I was expecting the paddock area to be made similar to the track extension that was build for the last few CART races. This area was covered with dirt and reseeded post GP.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Folks,

I'll chime in here a bit. My sister from Detroit is visiting and we had a brief conversation about Belle Isle. She remembers the park as a great place to visit as a kid back in the late 40's and 50's.

I've followed each of the different topics related to Belle Isle and the Grand Prix with interest. I know a couple of the gentlemen behind the effort. One more directly, and the second through what I have learned through discussions on this board and through following his accomplishments throughout his career.

The first is Roger Penske. He is a master strategist and won against many of the world's greatest. He is in the midst of achieving victories against some of mightiest and advanced automobiles in history. Roger also loves Detroit, and, in my opinion is attempting to help Detroit reclaim its title as the "Motor City".

The second is Don Panoz. Don is a dynamic innovator and does it with class. He is involved in both the hospitality, vineyard and racing businesses. Every time he becomes involved with events, they seem to improve. He is not a god, but he has incredible business sense and has stuck with a gut feeling that American automotive innovation can compete against the world's best.

This weekend, they are at Road America and then they will head to Detroit. Watch them this weekend on the NBC tube on Sunday to get an idea of what Detroit can expect.

These are some of the most advanced automobiles in the world. In most series, like F1 or NASCAR, cars are only expected to last 2-4 hours. In this series, they are expected to last 24 hours.

I really think this is good for Detroit. Like I have said on many occasions, I hope that every designer, automotive innovator and the next Detroit genius is at the event on Belle Isle. I'm pulling for Detroit and the US.

At this Grand Prix you will be observing some or the world's best automotive technology. It is the best, but it can always be improved. That is the draw of this series. The automotive world is going through a major transition in improved efficiency in use of fuels and quality of engineering. This is a great opportunity for Detroit to take the next step in her recovery. If you want to lead the world, you have to have the best product in efficiency, endurance and quality.

The ALMS has an open paddock policy where you can walk in and observe the cars and teams while they work in preparing for the event. The series is presented as 'Fan Friendly' and they want you to see the technology and meet the participants.

As always, I include my warning, this is a dangerous sport and whenever you are in the midst of innovation, speed and spectacle, keep your wits about yourself. Learn, but don't get hurt. A basic suggestion for Life and the Grand Prix.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 6:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I once heard a radio program where this was discussed with many residents claiming racism?"

That is so ridicules. So, by that logic many state parks and national parks are racist? The people who claim that just have no better argument against it. There is a pattern here, when all else fails, just cry “racism”……..I guess Tigers games are racist too since Comerica Park was partly built by public subsidies. Not to mention all the museums in DC must be administered by the Klan since they charge a fee to get in regardless if they are subsidized by tax dollars.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My view of Detroit readies for the return of Grand Prix 2007
You’ll find a photo link at the bottom of this page. http://www.aerialpics.com/E/skyline.html

Enjoy the show.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 694
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the aerial pics, flybydon, i was hoping for some! I certainly hope they find some way to put all this concrete to good use after the Grand Prix, and hopefully beautify it some. As it is, it seems like senseless destruction. For all the griping done over buildings torn down for the stadia, at least those are used more than one weekend a year. I'm glad to see the GP back, but I can't say i'm pleased at this.

Trying_2_stay
Username: Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a huge slab.... but I remember going to the races at Belle Isle in 1998 the first time they had it there and although it was way over crowded, it was fun. I took my son who was young at the time and he thought it was soooo cool. Afterwards though it was dirty and trashed, but the city services cleaned it up well and after it was all said and done it was ok.
I haven't been to Belle Isle in a while because when I would go you couldn't sit on a grassy area without goose poop being everywhere. I hear NY is giving the pigeons there birth control why can't we give it to the geese here. Too damn many. I think it would be fun to see them use the big slab as a skate park either skate boarding or for wheeled skating for kids. I love the fact that Penske is giving $100,000 this year and $25,000 each of the next four years to the island's maintenance. That money needed to come from some where. No one wanted to pay a fee to get on the island, did anybody else come up with an idea that would make money to keep it up? I don't think so. $2 to $5 per car wouldn't have killed anyone, even the poor who use that much gas to drive there.

(Message edited by Trying_2_stay on August 12, 2007)

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont like the fact that half of the summer or more, they will have the fence and the barriers up. This really takes away from that end of the park.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I like best about the paddock is the way it cuts into the area right around the fountain. It would have been selfish to keep the improvements over on the big lawn, so they wisely decided to share some concrete with the ring around the fountain. I love how it looks, taking a little bite out of it. Not only is it useful, but this little section artfully laid into the Scott Fountain will be a lasting improvement for years to come, and shows a shrewd sense of design and care. Thanks, Penske!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1746
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some were asking if the money from the Gran Prix will go towards improvements at Belle Isle. This just in from Model D.

"The Detroit Sports Car Challenge, presented by Bosch, is using the race to showcase clean diesel technologies in its Audi R10 TDI -- the vehicle currently leading the Le Mans series overall.

Although many people associate diesel with loud and smoky 16-wheelers, the latest diesel engines -- common in Europe and sometimes called light diesel -- are more fuel efficient and emit less carbon dioxide than standard gasoline engines (although NOx and particulate matter emissions are reported to increase). At last year's North American International Auto Show, Mercedes-Benz in particular put major focus on clean diesel technology.

In the other main event, the IndyCar Series will be fueling its rides with 100% ethanol and the pace car will be a Honda Accord Hybrid. While most believe that ethanol use could create a nightmare for the bottom line of corn prices, the fuel is renewable, biodegradable and reduces carbon dioxide emissions.

Another positive aspect to the Grand Prix is its commitment to Belle Isle. All net proceeds go to a general improvement and preservation fund. The $100,000 already earmarked for the island will incrementally increase over the course of the race's initial five-year contract."

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/grandprix10607.as px

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 397
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever been to Toronto Island Park in Toronto? What a great idea for the Detroit area to try to emulate for Belle Isle!

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the TO park a few months ago and I felt like I was on Belle Isle. There were a lot of things of things to do, amusement park type rides, petting zoo, beach area. The island was packed considering they charged $6 ferry toll per person. I wonder how much that takes in or if it all goes for the operation of the ferries. It's not quite Belle Isle though :-)

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/is land/index.htm

---This is a link to the site if anyone is interested. I agree. It's not Belle Isle!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.