Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Michigan state government ranks #2 in use of web technologies « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.brown.edu/Administr ation/News_Bureau/2007-08/07-0 10.html

quote:

PROVIDENCE, R.I. [Brown University] — Delaware and Michigan are the best states for e-government in the United States, according to the eighth annual e-government analysis conducted by researchers at Brown University. The federal portal USA.gov and the Department of Agriculture are the most highly rated federal sites.

Darrell M. West, director of the Taubman Center for Public Policy at Brown University, and a team of researchers examined 1,548 state and federal sites. The researchers analyzed 1,487 state Web sites (an average of 30 sites per state), plus 48 federal government legislative and executive sites and 13 federal court sites. Research was completed during June and July 2007. This series of e-government studies has been released annually since 2000.

Web sites are evaluated for the presence of various electronic features, such as online publications, databases, audio clips, video clips, foreign language content, translation services, advertisements, premium fees, user payments or fees, disability access, privacy policy, security policy, online services, digital signatures, credit card payments, e-mail addresses, comment forms, automatic e-mail updates, Web site personalization, PDA accessibility, and readability level.

OK, enough good news: let the bashing begin!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yet I still can't use by debit/credit card at most Secretary of State branches...go figure...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I renewed my tabs online. It was quick and easy. Take that, line at the SoS!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also did my change of addresses when I moved online. The post office sent me a whole bunch of great coupons for Lowes and Home Depot and such. Cool! I used them all.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3635
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan was the second state to join the Talent Bank for jobs during the late 1990s. But, in essence, they just piggy-backed on the work of the state of Missouri in that regard. And there probably were a lot of "second" states back then duplicating other state's Web sites.

In the final analysis, the states probably pay privateers for creating those Web sites anyway.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2000
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Michigan is second, I would hate to really see #3-#50.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And yet I still can't use by debit/credit card at most Secretary of State branches...go figure...

that pisses me off every time too. And every year i go in the office to renew, and every time i forget that tidbit. Fortunately, my local office has virtually no lines, ever, and is right around the corner, so it's not a big deal, but still, i see no excuse why this can't be done.

Personally, I'm not that impressed with the state's website. It's cluttered and takes me forever to find what i'm looking for. The overall layout is hideous and incredibly non-user-friendly, particularly when compared to the other sites i visit (which, granted, aren't using public money). This study seems to only take into consideration the mere presence of certain information, services, and features, but does not consider the ease of use. If the state really wants to be a leader, they'll focus as much - or more - on the QUALITY of the service as the quantity.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah!!! I was on a focus group when the state designed its web site. Glad to hear the good news all around...

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/s tories/M/MI_BLOCKED_WEB_SITE_M IOL-?SITE=MIDTN&SECTION=HOME&T EMPLATE=DEFAULT

Senate Republicans block access to left-leaning Web site

By DAVID EGGERT
Associated Press Writer
Advertisement
Click to learn more...

LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- Lawmakers and staffers using the state Senate's Internet server no longer can visit or post to a left-leaning political Web site, prompting backlash from bloggers and others who say it is blatant censorship and a violation of free speech rights.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can have any color of car you want so long as it is black.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! Now I feel compelled to bookmark http://www.bloggingformichigan .com .

Any publicity is good publicity! :-)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2574
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can use Discover Card now at the SOS offices, and I think you can use either a credit or debit card if you use the automated machine for new tabs.

(Credit cards cost to process - sometimes over 3% - wouldn't that be a huge waste of taxpayer money? Discover Card probably cut the state a deal.)

PS: It's always nice to hear from Gov. Milliken, no matter what side you're on. Vote for moderates so the state and country can start functioning again!

(Message edited by lilpup on August 06, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.