Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » St. Clair Shores « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The earlier thread on Harper Woods is the motivation for this one. Thoughts? Opinions?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too many school districts.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 552
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No public boat launches =(.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 244
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Clair Shores? zzzzzzzzzz Geriatric village.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1973
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They sure messed up the old downtown area at 9 Mile and Greater Mack when they decided to make Mack take a winding path and add the off-street parking there. St. Clair Shores could learn a thing or two from Ferndale.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think St. Clair Shores is a very "Interesting" Suburb.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 774
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like St. Clair Shores. Block after block of identical homes all made special by the owners.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5020
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well since I live in SCS...

1) 4 waterfront parks (3 of which are resident only)
2) A great library with a restaurant attached.
3) Nautical Mile restaurant row (Fishbones, Jefferson Beach Club, etc).
4) Boating capital of Michigan (6 miles of Lake St. Clair frontage).
5) You can walk the streets safely at 1AM.
6) 3 minute 911 emergency response time.
7) LOTS of Krogers (not sure if that's good or bad)
8) A Nino Salvaggio's (best produce).
9) And yes 3 "entrenched" school districts.
10) The main thoroughfare business districts have greatly improved with new construction.
11) Over 150,000 sq. feet of new medical center office buildings along Little Mack and 12 Mile Rd.
12) Residential is improving (lots of smaller wood frame homes torn down for larger brick houses).

All in all SCS has fared better than its south Macomb County neighbors.

Gistok

Post Number: 5021
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Fury13 but your dead wrong about the little downtown at 9 Mile and Greater Mack. It was done partly to discourage traffic from continuing along Greater Mack north of 9 Mile (where it is only residential), and it gives people more incentives to take the ring road north and south of that little downtown oasis to get to 9 Mile Rd and either the Harper or Jefferson commercial strips.

Because of that narrowing of the street, it provides the opportunity for some restaurants to have outdoor tables and chairs for additional restaurant space. And the curving roadway slows traffic down to 25 MPH, and it has given the streetscape some level of intimacy, which is greatly lacking in most suburbs.

Prokopowicz
Username: Prokopowicz

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some things I like about SCS:

Instead of alleys, they have canals.

Restaurants on the water, especially Jack's and Andiamo's. They come and go (we used to go to Lido's a lot) but the atmosphere is always the same.

The rest of restaurant row, already mentioned, but don't forget Tom's Oyster Bar, and the elaborate Chinese place whose name I can't remember (the only good Chinese place I know within 10 miles of Grosse Pointe).

Shores theater - reopening soon. Again, is there another theater anywhere near GP?

Family Treat - pretty sure it's still open; a true relic.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 509
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCS is a great city. I like the similar homes made unique comment by kathinozarks. The only problem is waterfront access. It is small but I like how they used the 12mile Right Of Way and made it a tiny lakefront park. The city is full of brick homes and many shaded streets. My grandmother bought a house there in 1954 for 10k all brick. She told me all about when I94 was built 2 blocks over. It is interesting to see old aerials from then a lot of the homes torn down were not that old. Some of the old photos you can see a strip of exposed basement where the freeway was going to go. Saint Clair SHores also grew very fast and has seemed to maintain if not improve its quality of life. I have to admit I have always liked those fifties red brick ranches which is basically 80% of the shores.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, like Gistok said, you take the ring road when you are turning (which you usually are). The ring road also goes to the parking lots in the backs.

The curvey roads with the parking and trees looks a lot nicer than Mack directly South of it. Plus, I think it psychologically gives that area a special importance, making it downtown. As far as what's actually there, it's not much different from the rest of Mack, or Harper, or anywhere else, but it is "downtown".

I think SCS is pretty lame. I don't think it's aggressive enough in improving the city, and I think as it starts running into inner suburb problems, it will find itself totally unprepared and incompetent in dealing with it. And I also think that the city is very apathetic, and that the city doesn't think anything else in the region matters.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 495
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live @ 9 and mack its a great location in under 15 minutes I can be in Downtown Detroit, royal oak or the clem I am walking distance to the Nautical Mile if I go south on mack thru Grosse Pointe there is one family owned restruant after another. My neighborhood is quiet and peaceful I dont have one bad thing to say about any of my neighbors.

Kathinozarks how you can say Block after block of identical homes is beyond me there are no two houses alike anywhere around me.

this is somewhere I hope to stay for years

Jasoncw

Post Number: 410
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have to say that the houses are pretty similar. There's a handful of house variations on each block for most of the area. But I don't think it has a cookie cutter feel to it. At least the areas that I'm thinking of.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4045
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great outdoor three-wall handball courts.

Gistok

Post Number: 5023
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jasoncw, you obviously don't live in SCS. They are downright militant about their residential and business property maintenance.

They're giving me grief right now because part of my walkway to the house has sagged (from a 10 year old sewer line repair) calling it a tripping hazard, and because my front porch has moved away from the house by a fraction of an inch.

So I have to go in front of a 40th District Court magistrate over this issue.

If anything, I think the city acts like the Gestapo over property maintenance.

So you're way off on that issue...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i lived there for 3 years its a good town but a little boring for the younger folks,

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I have heard the same thing about SCS. The council can be a huge pain to deal with.

They should be more concerned with having business' move into the area, and less concerned with the status of your porch.

Jasoncw

Post Number: 411
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do live in SCS, and from my experiences, some things aren't as maintained as they should be. They might be more militant than Detroit, but not as much as Grosse Pointe, and without as high of standards. When I've passed out fliers for things (mostly can-do drives), I've seen a lot of houses up close. I think basic maintenance is necessary, and from what I've seen, I think you're exaggerating your experience. Or that your porch is ghetto and you just don't realize it yet.

But that's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about being aggressive in finding ways to improve the city's situation for the future. I feel like the city is just sitting around, doing the same thing it's been doing for the last few decades. I don't feel like the city is trying to prepare.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jasoncw - maybe it's because you just don't know about what the city has been doing. The redevelopment of the nautical mile, the changes that are happening on harper, and the proposed redevelopment of the marinas didn't just happen on their own. The city has several hard working, smart, visionary employees, and has had for years. What do you think they should be doing differently? If you do have ideas you should meet with the folks from the city because I'm sure they would be happy to try to work with you.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3481
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCS? Yawn.

Jack's is a nice restaurant. Fishbone's is probably the most exciting spot in the city. Roy O'Brien is a decent car dealer.

Aesthetically, it is uninteresting and repetitive. Only a few patches could qualify as mixed-use neighborhoods; it is mostly a bedroom community.

The lake is nearby, but never really on display or easy to access.

You have to worry about all that mid-century housing. In a decade or so, if not already, the homes will start to age considerably. It seems that older homes like those in southern GP or even nearby on the Gratiot corridor in Eastpointe might garner the attention of investors looking for a distinctive old house to fix up, whereas in SCS the homes are not too differentiated, and you won't be able to capitalize on you investment.

The police have got you covered there, though, and the city is reasonably close to Detroit. Beats the west side!!!

Gistok

Post Number: 5026
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well they must be doing something right to try to "upscale" the city... they now have a Cadillac and a Mercedes Dealership. :-)

Also, I like those new Art Deco like street lights that you see along Jefferson and 11 Mile Rd.

All the old tired worn out old retail strips are disappearing fast. The dump at the SE corner of 10 Mile & Little Mack is gone. Little Mack has seen millions in new office plazas, and the retail strips along Harper are looking better.

One of the nicest transformations has been at the Secretary of State complex on Harper between 9 & 10. What the heck was that HUGE building before it became retail. When you park in the back, you enter this cavernous space that looks like it used to be a huge factory.

Their landscaping in the Nautical Mile really looks good, and they just added some nice landscaped islands at 11 & Harper. They also do a nice job of having landscaped "WELCOME TO" signs with flowers and shrubbery.

I think they are doing quite fine. I live in the mid section of the city, and things look better now than when I moved in 17 years ago.

Jasoncw

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I don't have anything specific to say about the government.

That Condo project on Jefferson would have been cool, but it died. And then I heard about plans to add more theaters to downtown in that parking lot, and that was shot down. Those both would have been really cool (especially the theaters, because the area needs more, and it would be great since it's so close to the high school). I guess my problem is that it's a bedroom community. I'd rather have it be a living room community. The city doesn't need lofts and sushi stands, it just needs to shake off the lame vibe.

How is the Harper thing coming along (particularly South of 9 mile)? I heard about it, that there was going to be a median (like Mack in GP)? I think that would be great, it looks really bare right now, and I almost get ran over every time I cross it. Harper is really lame right now, and I think some more trees and a median would help a lot. I think they should extend the median from Grosse Pointe on Mack to 9 Mile as well. Mack in Grosse Pointe has so much more character, but it's not really much different other than the median and the metered parking.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1878
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCS has some nice restaurants, and Tom's Oyster Bar at 10 and Jefferson is a wonderful example,and has the best perch dinner I have had in many a moon.
GPYC move over, you have a definite rival.
Let's hear it for the Nautical Mile.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can sometimes run into one or more of the council members having a few beers at pat o'brien's after their meetings. I've talked to them a few times, they seem pretty approachable...

on a side but related note- watch out for the SCS cops hiding out on 94 too..I've seen them for the past week or so parked on the curbs going both ways during rush hour between the 9 & 11 mile exits.. just a little FYI :-)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a nice city despite the "Mayor" and City Council. The question is how long the city can survive without current leadership.

"Mayor" Hison is just some middle manager from Detroit Diesel who only knows how to ask for memos in triplicate, was known on council as the guy who waited for council meetings to grandstand on TV about exposed business dumpsters, and has shown absolutely no leadership for the city. Basically, a boring dud who rides on the inertia of Mayors before him. Well, he is entertaining when he tries his condescending attitude on committee members who admire his intellect and MCC degree.

The City Council has people like McFadyen who is one step out of the trailer park and an embarrassing idiot. The rest are just wannabes who fight along party lines, even though council is supposed to be non-partisan. Now the infamous Republican Nearon is running again. Lets see if people forgot that he was a Detroit cop who had his own car stolen for insurance money (and now has an illustrious career at the tool shed in the Roseville Home Depot).

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3491
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jasoncw, I agree with your suggestions for the streetscapes. I loathe going north of 8-mile in general, but it would be great if I could go up to SCS on essential trips and have a nicer looking trip. The retail strips would be invigorated by a better look streetscape, too.

Mack in GP is a bit different because the overall footprint isn't quite as wide (although still wide), and the storefronts come up closer to the street. The storefronts aren't anything special, but there are a few nice ones that add character near and south of Moross. The on-street parking and median definitely bring the street down to a more human scale, though. Plenty of side-streets and alleys ensure that the businesses have plenty of parking. It's a good setup.

Grosse Pointe Park's section of Mack, particularly Balfour to Alter, should also have a median. Not only would it delineate the northern border with Detroit (just kidding), it would bring that stretch, which does have plenty of mainstay businesses, pedestrians, and [gasp] nightlife down to a more appropriate human scale. The traffic is never heavy there, anyway. Perhaps this median could continue all the way to the Conner Bridge in Detroit as part of the far east side re-building?

East_detroit

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yes, we the voters did get mailed proof of Nearon's indiscretions... right as he ran unsuccessfully for State Rep, and perhaps not so oddly after his wife attacked Hackel Senior in the news. Funny how these things happen.

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The SCS cops ALWAYS hide out in the bend by 10 mile going Westbound. I got nabbed once. Now I know.

I grew up in Eastpointe until about 13 by Kelly/8 Mile/Beaconsfield area on EGO, so I know the whole eastside area there very well.

The one thing I have always found interesting about SCS is the jump of housing stock within a relatively small area. Within a mile radius you'll find your typical 50's red brick ranch, your 40's bungalow and then some bigger homes sprinkled. I knew someone who lived on Ruehle off of Martin(& Little Mack)and it was a leafy street with a mix of different era homes(even some infill/rehab). I have always dug streets like those. I think Harper has improved alot over the years and obviously the 9 mile & Jefferson area. SCS has definitely tried to update the city and its feel and I think have done a really good job.

It would be interesting to see the demographic shifts of late(perhaps a SCS resident could inform us).

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1999
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for FYI Monahan.

quote:

That Condo project on Jefferson would have been cool, but it died. And then I heard about plans to add more theaters to downtown in that parking lot, and that was shot down.

Both of those were terrible projects that were flawed from the start. The condo deal appeared borderline illegal with the old mayor sitting on the board of the company, if I remember.

And Shores was a clusterfuck by not only the owner but also council.

I do agree about the council, too many brash youngsters thinking they know everything.

I actually like the 50s brick ranch style compared to new windowless style.

SCS and Eastpointe both benefitted from having builders living there so a lot of houses may look the same but each has a custom feel to it.

No new business for the sake of new business. The Post wanted to open on Nautical Mile, it might have made it cool, but what would have been the social costs.

As far as the three school districts, actually four as the extreme north end falls into a different one, name escapes me. What could you do, South Lake is the largest but to far South. Lake Shore was always the grungiest and too far North. LakeView is land locked with no room to expand. I do think a consolidation would be nice, but to lose almost 100 years of history(South Lake) for a St. Clair Shores High just seems like a waste. Might be better cutting it two, eliminate the Lakeview and split between the two larger buildings.

The previous mayor IMO spent way too much time on the Nautical Mile and the Hockey Programs while neglecting the rest of the city.

Currently I would like to see code enforcement have a higher precedent and an elimination to the illegal renters.

quote:

"Mayor" Hison is just some middle manager from Detroit Diesel who only knows how to ask for memos in triplicate, was known on council as the guy who waited for council meetings to grandstand on TV about exposed business dumpsters, and has shown absolutely no leadership for the city. Basically, a boring dud who rides on the inertia of Mayors before him. Well, he is entertaining when he tries his condescending attitude on committee members who admire his intellect and MCC degree.

The City Council has people like McFadyen who is one step out of the trailer park and an embarrassing idiot. The rest are just wannabes who fight along party lines, even though council is supposed to be non-partisan. Now the infamous Republican Nearon is running again. Lets see if people forgot that he was a Detroit cop who had his own car stolen for insurance money (and now has an illustrious career at the tool shed in the Roseville Home Depot).

I actually like Hison compared to Dumas. Dumas just seemed to shady and like to cut off people he didn't agree with. Hison should promote his degree, I think he might be the only one with one. :-)

I totally agree about McFayden but she has her little social group that keeps getting her elected.

Frederick is alright. Ahearn on the other hand is a pompous little idiot who can't speak without tripping over his tongue. I am glad Stahl is gone, she would start talking and then totally forget what she was talking. I don't really have a opinion on the other two.

(Message edited by _sj_ on August 06, 2007)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1745
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Final residence of Fred Smith - he and Patti and their two kids lived in the castle looking place across Jefferson from the Blue Goose.

Gistok

Post Number: 5032
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the secret for the 3 school districts to keep separate systems is to always hold their referendums on special election days. That way the folks who show up to vote down the consolidations are usually the parents that were given scare tactics by the 3 school district administrations to vote that way.

If a consolidation election were ever held during a general election (Nov.) period, then I bet the result would be a majority vote for consolidation.

There's no way that 3 High Schools with only 800 students each should be allowed. Way too expensive on the taxpayers. The districts should be combined, and Lakeview (geographically in the middle of the 3 High School) should be sold off or razed for redevelopment.

All the business strips along Jefferson (Nautical Mile), Harper, Greater Mack and Little Mack look much better than they did 15 years ago.

Harper has looked much better with the grassy areas in front of storefronts, rather than the gravel and asphalt parking that used to be allowed in front of many storefronts years ago.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious...what are the motives for having separate school districts...and what are some of the scare tactics they use to get public support?

Gistok

Post Number: 5033
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the most obvious ones are that the South Lake District has the most businesses, so residents in that district worry they'll have to pay more school taxes if there's consolidation.

Another scare tactic is that the 3 districts have different debts (due to bond issues). So that becomes an issue as well.

Mostly they're pocketbook scare tactics, since the 3 districts are pretty even academically.

What really irritated me during the last consolidation vote was how dumb the 3 School District Superintendents sounded when they didn't think that consolidation would save much money. They all 3 must have failed ECON 101. They must not have heard of "economy of scale"... what with 3 superintendents, at least 3 assistant superintendents, their secretaries, their procurement departments, etc. Eliminating redundancy just must never have crossed their minds.

But, have we evern known of a single American unit of Government (including school boards) to voluntarily vote themselves out of existence? :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on August 06, 2007)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SCS - where's the beach?

Fury13

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sorry Fury13 but your dead wrong about the little downtown at 9 Mile and Greater Mack. It was done partly to discourage traffic from continuing along Greater Mack north of 9 Mile (where it is only residential), and it gives people more incentives to take the ring road north and south..."

No, I believe YOU'RE dead wrong. :-) Really, all we have here is a difference of opinion, that's all (that's why we're both right and wrong).

My family was eastside for generations, so I do have some history in that area. I even lived in SCS briefly and attended Violet Elementary School.

I personally do not believe that curving streets have any place in an urban (or inner-ring suburban) business district. A straight, walkable grid should remain in place, in my opinion, because such a layout respects the heritage of the community and lets the public become better immersed in the character of the neighborhood. To me, it's a short step -- a slippery slope, if you will -- from curvy streets with off-street parking to strip malls with acres of parking in front. At the end of the day, both concepts are exurban concepts.

But then again, SCS is trying to turn its back on its historic business center and create a new quasi-downtown on the Nautical Mile (this is also what Warren has done with its original Village... it's creating a new "town center" at 12 1/2 and Van Dyke).

Macomb County communities seem very good at screwing up their old town centers (see Eastpointe, Roseville, Fraser, and even Utica and Mt. Clemens to a lesser extent).

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9726
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jasoncw, you obviously don't live in SCS. They are downright militant about their residential and business property maintenance.

They're giving me grief right now because part of my walkway to the house has sagged (from a 10 year old sewer line repair) calling it a tripping hazard, and because my front porch has moved away from the house by a fraction of an inch.

So I have to go in front of a 40th District Court magistrate over this issue.

If anything, I think the city acts like the Gestapo over property maintenance.

I would give anything for the city of Detroit to take that attitude.

Gistok

Post Number: 5039
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13.... that curvy street adds a "bit of frivolity" to that corner of Macomb County!

And as we all know Macomb County can use every bit of "frivol" it can get! :-)

Fury13

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well... I still hate it.

Jt1

Post Number: 9727
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew it all along - Fury hates frivol. :-)

Gistok

Post Number: 5040
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this is what SCS was going for, but they didn't have enough "hill"...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3493
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Streets should curve if there is a reason to, i.e. and impediment/landform/protected area. SCS don't got any of those on Mack.

The biggest problem with that area is the parking coves in front of the storefronts. Subservience to the automobile...hell there's ample parking behind that area, anyway.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you see the water from the "Nautical Mile?"

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3494
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say what you want about the generic brick ranches and bungalows.I've seen all these newer houses being built everywhere and the quality does not come close. Those old 50's houses are solid and built to last. It saddens me to see these cities trying to modernize by demolishing old houses to put in new ones.The houses they remove are of much better build quality. Personally, I think SCS has good housing for what it's worth.

Gistok

Post Number: 5041
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Hpgrmln...

It's nice having marble window sills, real plaster walls and cove ceilings. Even the ranch houses have them here in SCS. Not to mention mature trees. There's nearly as many mature trees here as there are in many of the intact neighborhoods in Detroit.

When you go past M-59, you start seeing shadeless subs, that lack the homey neighborhood feel of Detroit and the inner burbs.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is Little Mack bigger than Greater Mack?

East_detroit

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sj,

Hison was known as "Mr Clean" by the old guard... was on the Cable Commission and wouldnt even have cable (rather than getting free cable like most other members under the guise of being "test families"). Problem is that being a generic paper pushing middle manager and basically milquetoast does not bring creativity or thought to the office of Mayor. The city needs to attract new young people and businesses. That doesnt happen by just paving Harper with asphalt for another 15 yrs.

Dumas was a protege of Wahby and thats really what you're probably getting at. Wahby, the Daddy Warbucks of Macomb County. And then suddenly these Democrats form a coalition with Republican Nearon to run together in 2004. Why would sworn enemies run together? Some say they were going for council control so they could all retire in One Water Place. They didnt gain control, Dumas lost his job at the Marina and One Water Place went down in flames (no pun intended if you know the history of Jefferson Beach and Jefferson Beach Marina).

Walby (name recognition twist of Wahby) has a 4 year degree, but he forgot to do anything useful once getting on council.

Stahl... libertarian. Hison, Walby... republican. Ahearn... democrat. McFayden... whatever puts free Waves restaurant meals on her plate.

It gets better, but I digress.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3495
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok and Hpgrmln:

Yes, a house from 1950 was built better than most built in 1995.

But a house from 1925 is usually built better than one from 1950. Beyond that, houses from this time period generally employ more classic designs with far superior materials and craftsmanship on display.

The bottom line: the older the house, the more character it possesses. Not just by virtue of having more history, but by the simple fact that older generally corresponds with better. Across the country, the most sought-after suburban neighborhoods with the highest home values are ones with predominantly pre-WWII homes, and traditional urban planning/street layout. Likewise, in inner cities today, its the neighborhoods that have retained their traditional fabric from 1900, or even 1800 sometimes, that are the most popular neighborhoods. Furthermore, the cities with the largest amount of original fabric preserved tend to be most prosperous and sought-after cities today. Coincidence? I think not.

Newton
Cambridge
Newport
Princeton
The Oranges (NJ)...and any number of NJ cities
Georgetown (DC)
Alexandria
Savannah
Coral Gables
Annapolis
Ann Arbor
Grosse Pointe
Evanston
Madison

When you talk real estate investing, and overall quality of life, these are some of the most successful places in America. Good design is what they all have in common. These are places that should have been imitated over and over again, but these successful models were shunned, and only rarely are attempts to create traditional neighborhoods made today.

Metro Detroit is, by and large, a wasteland. SCS looks better than most places by comparison. If you plopped it somewhere in the Bos-Wash corridor, it would be a little less impressive.

Hate to be so negative. I just have to point out how low our standards for a good place to live are in these parts.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 776
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks how you can say Block after block of identical homes is beyond me there are no two houses alike anywhere around me.

----------------------
Well, drive down Alger from Mack to Marter and you will know what I mean. I love those streets between 8 & 9 mile.
Mom's house is a ranch style and has the marble window sills and cove ceilings and not a crack in a wall or driveway or anything. Basement is as dry as can be. Well built by some well known builders mid-century and if the next owners take care of it as well as she, her sister before her and the two women before her took care of it it will last 100 more years.
I also like seeing the people enjoying their porches/yards/driveways during nice weather.
Btw, white landscape rock rules!

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1864
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Nautical Nibble is this Wednesday, proceeds go to the Lake St Clair Symphony Orchestra, which hopefully, will be able to stage some concerts in the near future.

http://www.lscso.org/

More info on things going on the rest of the week.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070805/CFP 05/708050490/-1/print

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Clair Shores has done a terrible job at making the waterfront viable. Instead of it being a resource for everyone in the city, it's kind of like, "Hey this is our water, don't look at it, don't try and get near it. Why don't the rest of you peon fucks go to your little shit parks and leave us alone." I kind of have an attitude about it.

Okay I'm done ranting, it's just that growing up in Detroit, I have bad memories of being booted out of every place that I wanted to go fishing.

I live in SCS and for the most part it's a nice place. They don't bother you too much, the taxes are reasonable, and the services are pretty good.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw-100% agreed. Unfortunately, few people recognize that around here. Birmingham is more or less ruined.Their oldest neighborhoods are the most destroyed by tearing down/rebuilding.Rochester isn't much better. Granted, they are trying to incorporate the character you mentioned into the new homes,but again, I question the quality of it.
Houses SHOULD have both.

Gistok

Post Number: 5042
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary, I can understand the lack of a waterfront view in SCS. Whenever I want that, I drive down Lakeshore Dr.

But unfortunately those marinas have been there longer than the incorporation of the city in 1951. I would love to have a nice waterfront view as well, but where are all those boats going to go?

When I want my waterfront fix, I drive to Champine Park at 12 Mile & Jefferson. I park on the first street north of 12 Mile (parking allowed), and walk over to what has to be the only park without parking.

Because it is so inaccessible otherwise, it makes for a quiet usually lonely (I like the solitude) peaceful respite. Usually the only folks who stop by are cyclists.

Usually I am the only one sitting in the 3 park benches along that narrow stretch along Lake St. Clair. It's nice looking out at the boats, freighters, the Channel Islands, and on clear days, even Canada, and contemplate in relative silence.

The bigger SCS parks don't usually offer that type of quiet time...

Jt1

Post Number: 9746
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why is Little Mack bigger than Greater Mack?

It is all grown up.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_Detroit, thanks for the info. I think maybe that is why I like Hison, some of the others(Dumas) just seemed to greasy politician for me. Ahearn appears to be along those lines, inappropriate language at meetings, grandstanding to the TV, the whole library cafe ordeal and lets not forgot the issue with the activities commission.

Seems to me to be too much old guard Dumas, Walby, Ahearn, Solluire, etc.

I also totally agree about the One Water Place comment, something stunk about that whole deal.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aquabillies. It's full of Aquabillies!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's nice having a beautiful city golf course that actually makes money. (the view from the golf course condos aint bad either). Be glad the Jefferson condos weren't built. The city sold the field in the middle of LakePointe condos on the golf course to a developer who built a 5 story "Luxury" condo building. It has sat vacant for nearly 2 years and has gone into foreclosure twice already. They finished building it right as the housing market went in the dumpster. Can't find any buyers. Given the housing market, the Jefferson project probably would have had a similar fate.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.