Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Anyone remember Thiessen's Luggage on Griswold? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This store was right across from the bus stop downtown. The old man and his assistant were taken in the back and shot to death back in the early 70's. A senseless crime. Eventually, the killers were caught.
The son moved the place out to Dearborn and then quit the business.
Did you ever have the chance to shop there?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our law firm bought brief cases and trial bags there, but switched to Cadillac Luggage.
Cadillac Luggage was on Woodward, then over on Campus Martius, and then in the Penobscot building. I believe the son of the founder(Al) used to post on the Forum. I still have one of their brief cases.
The tragedy at Thiessen's really put them out of business in the long run.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 313
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was a guy that tried to hang in there.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 838
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He had a son, Ed, who was a loan analyst at Bank of the Commonwealth in the early '70's when I represented the bank. Nice guy. I bought a garment bag at the luggage store that I still have.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.