Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Gourmet grocer eyes midtown Detroit site « Previous Next »
Gourmet Grocer Eyes Midtown Detroit SiteSg901808-04-07  10:47 am
Archive through August 04, 2007Jt130 08-04-07  2:23 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2070
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^It depends on what type of person you are.

If you have a Car Full of Kids or if you're pressed for time, I'm sure you don't want to be running around the city to 3 different places when it's all at one place.

If you're a person with plenty of spare time on their hands (eh, or gas money), then ok.

(Message edited by Urbanize on August 04, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9707
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a fair point.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does everyone act like you can't get everything if you really need to at University Foods or Harbortown? I mean, if you really *are* pressed for time, which clearly nobody on here is.

Honestly, the places that truly DO offer EVERYTHING you might need are few. I don't get everything I need at Kroger, or Whole Foods, or Westborne, or Trader Joe's (definitely not TJ's).

A lot of people here seem stuck on this myth that a real city has full-service supermarkets in walking distance of all its residential. In my experience that is the exception and not the rule. Yes, certain cities with great density do have that, but (a) I can't think of anyplace in SE Michigan that has the kind of density Chicago, SF, DC, Boston or NYC have, and (b) people I know in all those cities, save NYC, still drive to get groceries.

If this works out it will be a great addition to downtown.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can we just get a trader fucking joes!!!

Urbanize

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I mean, if you really *are* pressed for time, which clearly nobody on here is."

There are other 500,000 other residents in the city that know nothing about this site, and have families and work as well.

"A lot of people here seem stuck on this myth that a real city has full-service supermarkets in walking distance of all its residential. In my experience that is the exception and not the rule. Yes, certain cities with great density do have that, but (a) I can't think of anyplace in SE Michigan that has the kind of density Chicago, SF, DC, Boston or NYC have, and (b) people I know in all those cities, save NYC, still drive to get groceries."

I didn't hear that anywhere on here. IF your theory was the case, Detroit would have one. It is a real city, right? If not, the 700,000 people that live here must be imagining the place. Those cities also have Full-Service Grocers In or VERY VERY CLOSE to their CBD.

In addition, you shot and missed the Target completely. We're not talking about the neighborhoods, we're talking about Downtown Residents, which last time I checked, don't have any Grocer (let along a decent one) within a Mile of their homes or jobs.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can't think of anyplace in SE Michigan that has the kind of density Chicago, SF, DC, Boston or NYC have

Hamtramck. Those little old bushas dragging those old collapsible grocer carts behind them for blocks have the right idea.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this place opens, I will SO go there for my groceries, mainly out of principle. It's also not out of the way for people who work downtown and want to grab some good stuff for dinner on the way home.
No dis to Eastern Market, but this place will be opening in a location where there are plenty of people wandering around who should be eating fresh produce instead of party-store wings.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if a delivery service for groceries would work. I have a friend in Chicago that pays the little extra to have her groceries delivered, it's a great solution to people without cars but of course you pay the premium for it.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 426
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great! I say we all wait in line the opening day and at least purchase $30 in groceries.

<313>

Urbanize

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Speak for yourself. Everyone doesn't have $30 to spend on Groceries just because a new place opened.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2130
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In addition, you shot and missed the Target completely. We're not talking about the neighborhoods, we're talking about Downtown Residents, which last time I checked, don't have any Grocer (let along a decent one) within a Mile of their homes or jobs.

If we are talking about downtown residents, why do you keep bringing up numbers relating to the entire city? As in:

quote:

"There are other 500,000 other residents in the city that know nothing about this site, and have families and work as well. "

"I didn't hear that anywhere on here. IF your theory was the case, Detroit would have one. It is a real city, right? If not, the 700,000 people that live here must be imagining the place"

Also, not everyone is poor like you. I'm sorry, but they're not. $30 at a grocer is not a big deal to a lot of people who live in the CBD (and to even fewer of the people actually buying, vs. renting, in the CBD).

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 886
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you have a Car Full of Kids or if you're pressed for time, I'm sure you don't want to be running around the city to 3 different places when it's all at one place...

There are other 500,000 other residents in the city that know nothing about this site, and have families and work as well...

We're not talking about the neighborhoods, we're talking about Downtown Residents, which last time I checked, don't have any Grocer (let along a decent one) within a Mile of their homes or jobs...

Everyone doesn't have $30 to spend on Groceries just because a new place opened...

Urbanize,

What is your point?

This thread is about a proposed specialty/gourmet grocery store in midtown, and you start off talking about a car full of kids, and 500,000 city residents with families and jobs. After that, you say that we are talking about Downtown residents, not neighborhoods, and then you make a bizarre statement that everyone doesn't have $30 to spend on groceries in a new store.

????

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I was pressed for time, I'd rather make three stops within a mile of my house than drive a half-hour each way to get to a suburban big-box. Also, it's much easier to find your way around a smaller store. But both these points are irrelevant because most people who would shop at a small gourmet grocery in Brush Park aren't cross-shopping Meijer or Kroger. They're totally different types of stores catering to totally different types of people.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 887
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox makes a number of good points in his last post.

The downtown/midtown population is mostly made up of singles, students, dinks, empty nesters, and seniors. This is quite different than the typical "neighborhood" type population.

The vast majority of downtown/midtown residents live in very small households without children, and the vast majority of the housing stock is multi-unit condos or apartment buildings, without private yards.

Suburban-style big box grocery stores, such as Meijer and Wal-Mart, are filled with aisles of baby food, diapers, toys, and landscaping/gardening supplies. These products sell like hotcakes in Livonia and Sterling Heights, but there is very little demand for them in downtown/midtown Detroit.

Detroit313

Post Number: 427
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize-

Wasn't trying to offend anyone. But if you don't spend $30 on groceries, you must eat at McDonalds.

That is not a lot of money, even for todays economy.

Talk about supporting your local community.

It's a one time thing!!! Try it out, spend some money, buy some organic bread or something, then spend $30 more next week if you like it.

I bet you spend more than that to feed your automobile this week!!!

<313>

Urbanize

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nothing wrong with wanting things within walking distance - we all want that and it is understandable.

The issue I have is with people that think an extra stop or two is to inconvenient so they drive to the suburbs for all of their groceries in one stop.

All I ask is that people think of the ramifications of the economic flight of those that can afford to support business in their area."

It was just a scenario I gave to Jt1, not for the rest of you. Notice, Jt1 didn't say ANYWHERE in his post that he was just talking about downtown. In addition, remind you there are families who actually live in Downtown/Midtown and workers who have tight schedules.(WOW!):-0

Urbanize,

"What is your point?

This thread is about a proposed specialty/gourmet grocery store in midtown, and you start off talking about a car full of kids, and 500,000 city residents with families and jobs. After that, you say that we are talking about Downtown residents, not neighborhoods, and then you make a bizarre statement that everyone doesn't have $30 to spend on groceries in a new store."

Apparently, you didn't read through the other posts and just skipped down through mine.

Someone also started talking about "I do this" and "I do that". I said there are other people in Downtown/Midtown that don't want to do this and do that and saying what you choose to do (grocery choices) is pointless because not everyone wants to shop at a certain grocery store.

Then Dialh said something about densities, and I don't think it frankly matters about "density" when you have a Kroger in a Farmland Environment. How's that for "density". Besides, I must be imagining all the closely knit places that I see in Downtown/Midtown (rather it's high or low).

In addition, you missed my entire point about the $30 one. I said I wouldn't go stand in a line on a
Grand Opening Day just to spend money in a place that's only here for profit and could care less about Detroit like everything else (WOW!) :-0. I will go spend my money at these places when I choose, they're not going anywhere (especially if I already have groceries). If you have a problem with that, too bad.

(Message edited by Urbanize on August 05, 2007)

Detroit313

Post Number: 435
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban-

forget the waiting in line part.

Just support the store......jeezz.

If you don't want to don't! But don't sit there and complain about the lack of choices in the city!

<313>

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had read that she would be a guest on Detroit Today as well, did anyone listen?

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ever think about planning your shopping better? Surely you don't run out of everything at the same time, requiring 3 stops in one day. Meats and vegetables one day, paper and cleaning supplies another time, pet food another time, and then bakery and prepared gourmet foods all the time.

Bostonedisonrocks
Username: Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

University foods has a great selection of groceries - and they have a fast turnover of products,the store is clean, the employees are friendly - Eastern Mkt has all the fresh stuff anyone needs. Now, if we also have a specialty market nearby - well frankly - I'll be delighted. Let's support what we have and perhaps "more will come".

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glory Foods on Jos. Campau is the best.

That said, I still shop at Meijer in the burbs, because its better.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you kidding about Glory? I hope there was some sarcasm there. I go only when I need something that can't wait until later

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Problem with that is, it's (Honey Bee) WAY over in SW Detroit, a whole 2 or 3 Miles away from Downtown Detroit."

Uh, the Honey Bee is just a (whole) one mile drive from GCP. Just so you know. Take a cab.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3738
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The grocers in SW Detroit are so numerous that they compete so heavily for your $. It's not uncommon to have fliers for a half dozen or more from them weekly. Two years ago, their lime wars started at 10 for a dollar and eventually got to 40 limes for a dollar. Now, they're only ten to twenty for a buck.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see a huge necessity to drive to the burbs for groceries unless I end up at Costcos for some reason,,,,, I shop either at Honey Bee, Eastern Market, University Foods and HarborTown and get everything I need ,no need to drive furthur, Anything I would save would be exceeded by gas burned,,, I figure if I live in Detroit , I want to spend my money in Detroit.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand why this is always an issue either, I've been living downtown for a couple years, and grocery shopping has NEVER been an issue... if anything, I enjoy shopping more now, especially with Eastern Market right there!!!

Jacaden
Username: Jacaden

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will gladly welcome this place if and when it opens. If the food/service is even remotely decent, I predict I will shop there quite a bit. When I am driving my kids back home in the evening, I often lament not having a place where I could get something for us to take home/take out that didn't have to be McDonalds or pizza. The options for me, as a working mother living in Woodbridge with two small children, are limited when I think about being able to grab something quick/convenient/and yes .... a luxury... that tastes good, is more "adventurous" than Sgt. Pepperoni's Vegetarian Pesto pizza, and isn't taking us all down the obesity superhighway. This place certainly isn't for everybody, especially since I imagine that it will be pricey, but I will wait with baited/drooling breath for its grand opening.

As a side note: I have been driving by that location since they started gutting and rehabbing (work started a year ago, if I remember correctly and it is indeed a beautiful space). I wondered just today what would end up there, if anything. There is a location across the street that is promising to be an "upscale" beauty salon. If folks are used to going to Atlas, then they may be primed for more expensive "choices" in that vicinity.

Detroitbill

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I emailed them via their website..
A response from " cindy" says they are indeed planning on opening in the fall and they are looking forward to it.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 780
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, Midtown is looking more promising than Downtown.

Detroitbill

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an example where we need to patronize these businesses who are willing to locate here. If their products/services meet your needs/budget etc... please remember them first when you shop.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 199
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070825/B IZ/708250317

There is a blurb on the new market at the end of the article. I am pretty impressed to see that this actually looks like it is going to happen.

Detroitprincess
Username: Detroitprincess

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very excited for the market to open. I love to shop at Eastern market and Harbortown. But this is 2 blocks walking distance for me! Plus, We need more markets in locations where people are actually living. Any new development and business is good news!

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always thought that the building in question is amazing. Love it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.