Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » HEADS UP!!! Fort Wayne Coalition Workday, August 18 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just putting the word out a little bit in advance so people can plan ahead.

On August 18th there will be another workday at Historic Fort Wayne from 9am-5pm.

This workday will require no obligation from you to join the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition. However, when you come out and you like what you see, join us on our march to preserve this beautiful and important piece of Detroit, Michigan and United States history.

We all know that the economy in Michigan is less than desirable, gas is through the roof and there is general uneasiness about people’s future in this state, especially in Detroit. Given these distressing times, we must still protect the places and things that are falling into unrecoverable disrepair. I do not want to sound like an annoyance fishing for volunteers. However, what I do want to sound like is a wake up call that these sites will not be around when the times are good if they are not protected even during the hard times.

The Coalition offers a unique experience, every month, to help take back a landmark in the city and save it from blight. We CANNOT do this with out your help! This is not a once a year activity, but that does not mean procrastinate! COME ON OUT TO THE FORT and see what you have been missing. Every month there is a workday <except Dec>. PlymouthRes will be teaching a novice level class on window re-glazing during the workday. This is imperative to help keep the elements out the coming winter.

You can make a difference. You will walk away having accomplished something worthy of your time. You, personally, will help rejuvenate something that is economically, socially, culturally and historically progressive in Detroit. Enjoy some quality time with some of your fellow DetroitYES’ers and meet other folks too.

WE CANNOT DO IT WITHOUT YOU!!

Thanks to everyone who has helped in the past and those who can help in the future. Updates as to the specific projects we will be working on will be added later.

(Message edited by usnsubvet77 on August 03, 2007)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be there again. Same with my dad.

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Scs! See you then.

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Historic Fort Wayne Coalition Projects Planning Committee had their pre-workday meeting yesterday evening and here are our tentative goals.

These work items are based on potential of turnout by people coming to the workday. We may finish all these items, then again we may not. Either way, it's just one step of improvement to the Fort.

Aug 18 Workday Goals:
1) Continue paint/preservation of picket fencing between Bldg 109/110 and by the Rainbow Division monument.
2) Continue with removal of tree by Bldg 109 that was dropped earlier this year. This will be cut down and then split for future living history weekend activities.
3) The first six participants to respond to PlymouthRes will be in a window re-glazing class from 9:30 to approx 12:30. Work will be done on existing windows that will be reinstalled at the Fort! Learning while contributing...
4) Continue to remove brush from the top of the Fort wall or "scarp" to prevent any more root/brush damage to the brick.
5) Clear brush around the old Quartermaster Shop.

If any of these activities sound interesting to you, please come on out. Let me know by responding. If you have tools <loppers,> bring them along if you can. We may or may not need them, but it is SO very handy having them on site.

Hope to see some of you at the Fort!

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

19-year-old stepson and I will be there on August 18, and we offer our names to PlymouthRes to learn window re-glazing. How do we contact PlymouthRes? We are looking forward to the work day!

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sent you an e-mail and signed you guys up already!!

You should now have my e-mail address, too!!

See you there!

PlymouthRes

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth,

There is a fellow from the 17th Michigan <jeremy,>. He did window glazing at a hardware in New Baltimore for about 5 years. He said he would be interested.
I thought he might do better helping you instruct so he does fill a spot for someone who is a novice.

Let me know what you think.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dibs on the windows, if I can wake up on time...

Plymouthres

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Subvet-

Yes, I could use him to help with the class. Mikie will be helping out with the expertise as well as he has done that type of work before, too!

Scs-
Gotcha covered, dude!

PlymouthRes

Zimm
Username: Zimm

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[bump for being a great cause-one where we can all make a difference]

i plan to attend Saturday's workday and will bring anything i can to help with the tree/shrub removal. i have loppers and a short ax.

i may be able to ring some additional help with me (we'll see...)

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zimm,

Thanks for the confidence in our cause with the Fort. The loppers and your ax would be great to use. Depending on the turnout, we would like to continue de-brushing the cap of the fort wall and possibly around the burms interior to the fort wall. (Similar to the last workday photos). Only people who would really want to so we don't burn anyone out

Please, bring as many people as you can! The more the merrier. Having a decent amount of people certainly makes some of the more laborous work not so bad.

Thanks again for your help and interest!

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a reminder if there is anyone else that might interested in working at Fort Wayne this Saturday, Aug 18 from 9am-5p (or however long you choose).

Please wear clothing you don't mind getting dirty. There is no need to bring anything with you, as we can supply most of everything. However, tools are handy to have more of. If you have loppers, gas-powered weed trimmers, gas-powered edgers...all that would be more than welcome. Also, bring some lunch,we have a refrigerator you can use. Unless you would like to grab something off site during our break.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded so far and anyone else considering coming out.

It will be a pleasure to work with a few of you again and possibly meet new people this Saturday!

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition Projects Committee

Thursdaynext
Username: Thursdaynext

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres, is there any chance you still need some extra hands for the window re-glazing? I did picture framing for quite a few years, not the same thing I know, but I got pretty darn good at handling wooden frames, glaziers points and glass of all sizes.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! Check your e-mail! I finally responded.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.