Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » More Catholic Financial Irregularities « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9778
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It pains me to find another story on the abuse of MONEY by yet another Catholic priest, this one in the Detroit area. This one I know, or at least I once knew.

This priest under investigation, Donald Demmer, was the most influential one at St. Alphonsus during some of my formative years...easily the most approachable, patient, and loving fellow on staff during my grade school years...into early high school.

It crushes me to hear about this investigation...he was the pastor of St. Dunstan's for a long while, now he is on leave.

May God help those who are negatively affected by this scandal, along with those who perpetrated it...

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe there is a special place in hell for those who abuse their position of power and influence.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9788
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or they have to come back in the next go-'round in some worthy form to relearn that lesson.

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 551
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, how do you pull out of this article that the Pastor had any knowledge of or anything to do with the "financial irregularities" ? Most Pastors have ZERO to do with the daily finances of a local parish, other than to approve the budget, etc. It's far more likely the Business Manager or Secretary has been monkeying with the books. It's pretty rare for a Priest to even write checks on the part of the Parish. As for the Pastor being on extended leave, yes, that could be a red flag, but it isn't a direct line of culpability on the part of the Pastor. People take leaves all the time. Particularly employees of a Diocese. Heck, it's part of the benefit package.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.