Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What If Detroit Y'ers Ran The City « Previous Next »
Archive through August 03, 2007Jt130 08-03-07  12:10 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not patting myself on the back...I was pointing out a misconception, which was that someone going school must be a college-aged kid living with their parents...what I do really isn't all that hard...I frankly don't understand why more people don't do the same...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9695
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Fair enough and I agree.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9110
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Message to everyone working toward success in a venture:

IMAGE IS EVERYTHING

Is it any wonder that when selling your home, some have outsiders come in and suggest paint/decor/getting rid of things that will help improve the image and sell the house more quickly/for a higher price?

Or you can just stick a "for sale" sign in the yard and hope for the best.

Otherwise known as "self-righteousness"

(Message edited by karl on August 03, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 9696
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl - Do you want to volunteer for a community improvement project next time you are in town. There are a lot of projects happening in the city that are aimed to imprve the city's image.

There is always plenty of room for volunteers. If you would like I can link you to some good organizations.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I retract the "all the time" and will replace it with "as much as Karl or I criticize the decision makers in Detroit.

So How about we focus on your criticism of Livonia eliminating the SMART bus system...you refuse to live there, and yet you criticize the residents who do live there for doing their part to improve the city because you disagree with their tactics...Could this be because you feel that what Livonia does affects us all as a region? Could it be that those of us in the suburbs feel the same way about Detroit?

I have no problem with you offering your input about Livonia, even though you don't live there or spend money there...I encourage open discussion...why cant you do the same, espcially when the input is coming from residents of cities that don't experience the same problems Detroit does? Who knows...you might learn something...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 546
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport would replace Ella Bully

Jt1

Post Number: 9697
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I retract the "all the time" and will replace it with "as much as Karl or I criticize the decision makers in Detroit.

Still not nearly as much.

I agree that I criticized Livonia and don't live there. Much of my criticism has been aimed at the claim that it is to save money when the money wsa being re-directed largely to internal transporation. Either way you are correct in that regard but my criticism of the suburbs is not 1/20th of Karl's complaints about the city or nearly as much as yours. To have the gall to claim that you are willing to listen to criticisms of Livonia is non-sense. You are much more protective of any comments against Livonia than most here are of Detroit.

I am fine with open discussion to some extent. What upsets me is your constant harping that Detroiters are idiots for who they elect, Karl's claims that citizens of Detroit are doing nothing. You both take a completely arrogant attitude that is dismissive to all of the people that are working to improve the city on a board that is predominately people that are working to improve the city.

My criticism of Livonia is nowhere near the extreme attitudes of yourself and Karl's arrogant, condescending attitude towards Detroiters, good and bad.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nah, I'll listen to just about anything and offer my own thoughts on the matter...but I do admit that I get defensive when people refer to my hometown as Hitlervonia and whatnot, and with good reason...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hitlervonia, lol. Good one!

Jt1

Post Number: 9698
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but I do admit that I get defensive when people refer to my hometown as Hitlervonia and whatnot, and with good reason...

So then I hope that you can appreciate a level of defensiveness when you are making blanket statements that Detroiters are idiots, that Detroiters need to do this or do that with no regard to what many are doing

Karl

Post Number: 9111
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps another city and its attitudes might be referred to as Jessetroit?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I don't get it. :-(

Karl

Post Number: 9112
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps I'll let Jt1 explain....

Thejesus

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I think he's saying Detroiters are liberal and racist like Jesse Jackson

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1288
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But... that doesn't make sense. :-\

Karl

Post Number: 9113
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But at the same time "Hitlervonia" makes sense?

Jt1

Post Number: 9699
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Perhaps I'll let Jt1 explain....

Perhaps you will continue to make ignorant assumptions. I have never and never will support the likes of Jesse Jackson, Farrakhan or Al Sharpton. Of course Karl doesn't really care too much about reality.

Karl - Are you willing to help out with one of the community clean ups? Perhaps the greening of Detroit may be more your style. No money needed (another ignorant Karl assumption), just a willingness to help.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Step 1: remove at-large city council, divide the city into wards, and re-elect.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1221
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can think of no more appropriate defender of Detroit's suburbs or no one who can more clearly articulate their complaints about Detroit.

"Rip" away, ... dude.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1763
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitNerd could be in charge of denying tax credits to companies that have a desire to locate in the D...

Karl

Post Number: 9115
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, I'm fully occupied in several cities right now. For now you'll have to settle for my written thoughts, and the time it takes to post 'em.

Not enough? Tough. At one time Detroit had my time, efforts and money - along with same from millions of others.

Your turn now. Good luck.

(Message edited by karl on August 03, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 9702
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I assumed - all talk, no action.

quote:

At one time Detroit had both my time, efforts and money - along with same from millions of others.

And like all those others you are all too willing to tell us what is wrong but unwilling to do anything to help out. But do keep trying with your blathering.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's funny. I thought the job of companies asking for a break was to "earn" tax credits through making promises to stay, provide jobs, etc.

Karl

Post Number: 9117
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup - The D got my "action" and now it's your turn, Jt1. Either keep whining from your crib or get to work. Millions of others before you did, and Detroit was a great city. Your turn now.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 594
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what I am learning here is that if DYers ran the City, they would spend all their time carping and whining to and about each other and not much time doing anything helpful, at least based on the current discussion taking place in this thread.

So really it wouldn't be all that different than those who are running the City today.

Jt1

Post Number: 9703
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yup - The D got my "action" and now it's your turn, Jt1. Either keep whining from your crib or get to work.

I highly doubt you ever did anything positive for the city. Just my belief. As usual, when called out you resort to personal attacks with no substance. It must be your ghetto upbringing to always accuse people of whining and being in their crib.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 408
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So what I am learning here is that if DYers ran the City, they would spend all their time carping and whining to and about each other and not much time doing anything helpful, at least based on the current discussion taking place in this thread.

So really it wouldn't be all that different than those who are running the City today."

I totally agree.

This is one of the most cracked out forums I have ever been to. The threads here either turn into race wars, ideology (urbanity, preservation, social issues) vs. reality wars, political fights, or just plain fights. In between the fighting is mostly rampant speculation, and uninformed discussion.

And just like in real life, there are some great people here, but not enough to make up for the whole.

We can put Danny, Trainman, and Livernoisyard on the council, and we'd get Eeyore shaped buses with some cracked out race program.

Karl

Post Number: 9122
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a plan, Jasoncw. I agree.

"This is one of the most cracked out forums I have ever been to"

LOL - you really need to get out more!:-)

Jt1 - feel free to think whaaaaaaatever you please!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But at the same time "Hitlervonia" makes sense?

Well.....................

...I just said good one. My point is that if you're gonna make a joke then make it funny. Hitlervonia was funny because... well, you know. Jessetroit isn't funny because... well, other than him being a black man and Detroit being a predominantly black city, what's the connection?

Farratroit... okay, A for effort.

Murdetroit, zing! Get it? Make it funny! Do I have to write your jokes for you?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Nevertroit or Denever. We can never get things done right here.

Jt1

Post Number: 9704
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl - Kust using your logic in discussion. Dismiss everyone else's claims and ignore any reality.

You do it all the time. But do carry on with your ghetto name calling.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 829
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What If Detroit Y'ers Ran The City?

Rename the Coleman A. Young Municipal Building the ItsJeff Municipal Building.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2046
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and Rename The CAY Municipal Airport The ItsJeff Municipal Airport.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would Cass Tech become Jjaba Tech?

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone on here run for public office? Jt1, you seem like a passionate advocate for the city and a level-headed, intelligent person. Have you or would you consider running for Council?

Speaking specifically of City Council, I think Detroit gets the members it does because most reasonable people would not want to deal with that job. With Detroit's strong-mayor system of governance, having a one-ninth voice in a room full of looney tunes is just not very appealing. Competent people can make a better living in a more sane work environment.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2946
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still trying to figure out how Karl is going to pay for his programs despite being such an anti-tax, anti-government zealot.

Don't you think that if abandoned buildings, junked cars, and empty lots were a problem, that the free market would take care of it, Karl?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh boy, there goes the neighborhood. This thread is now toast.

Pretentious Eastcoaster ALERT. Pretentious Eastcoaster ALERT.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The free market IS taking care of them, Dan -- by dumping them in the place where the system finds the least resistance.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 958
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fdfdfd- actually, i think the Detroit CC is very well compensated, and there does not seem to be many prior qualifications, heck, you probably dont even need a degree.

like most elections, its a popularity contest. I actually think that it would be nice to see the city better represented by a ward system.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 485
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have SMART provide 24/7 bus service to the downtown and the airport with federal and state funds.

Karl

Post Number: 9136
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc, I would LOWER taxes in Detroit - have sales-tax-free days to encourage trade in the city (more spending/profit/others spending their profits in the city) and get the thing going

Folks are motivated when they see action - look at the buzz on these threads from one building showing progress - Book Cadillac. Imagine if parts of certain neighborhoods were improved - simply and permanently - by grading lots, gravel and get rid of the weeds. Simple and inexpensive. Gotta start somewhere, all you wanna do is throw your more tax/big gov DC cold water crap on things - get your bureaucracy outta the way for progress, however meager it is.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 487
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, the purpose to changing the state constitution is to allow county wide sales taxes. Wayne county has the highest county taxes. The plan is to lower both property and income taxes in Detroit according to regional planners.

If we could make our government more efficient and lower costs with user fees then this could work

Karl, I lowered the cost of government in Livonia but my city council raised my taxes by giving themselves pay raises and ignoring me.

So, please support my cause under DETROIT LINKS and you will lower taxes instead of just posting about it.

Anyone can post about LOWER taxes in Detroit.
But few of us can actually lower taxes in Detroit. I also lowered taxes in Detroit and not just Livonia.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Detroit Yesers ran the city it would be like that episode of The Simpsons where Lisa and the other members of Springfield's MENSA chapter turn the place into a ridiculous dystopian from the city park's Gazebo.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2901
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think so.

From what I've read over the years, there are a lot of people who who have the drive and the know-how to get things done.

And don't for one second feel that these people can't.

I've seen Detroit's CC and I've seen other CC's do their thing. Many of the people in those seats are there for one, and only one, reason only: they cannot do anything else.

Because of this they glob into the local political structure, and figure out that this would be a pretty easy meal ticket (in some cities more than others). Their main ability is that of B.S.'ing others into thinking that they have leadership skills...noting could me more further from the truth. Just look at the amount of petty squabbling that goes on from day to day.

And one last thing: who is is that keeps archiving threads that are only a few days old?

It's getting a little ridiculous to get the gist of the entire thread with having to click onto another link(s).

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would flatten the whole damn thing and plant corn. We can all work together tending the fields, and setting up roadside stands to sell the corn.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Urbanoutdoors would love that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.